Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 01:07 AM

638 posts, read 2,247,313 times

Advertisements

Im a big VW fan. I never have owned a newer model but have owned two classic bugs. I had two 74 Supers. I sold them both long ago. I've always loved the classic beetle growing up and as an adult. I've watched VW since they introduced the new beetle in 97-98? They gave it a face lift and then re-designed it last year. I never thought they captured the true essence of the original. I think MINI and FIAT did better with their cars. They seem much truer to the original. Ford even did better with the Thunderbird.

Is there any future for the current beetle? I read that VW is planning another re-design and basing it on a different platform. Any thoughts on what they will do? I'd like to see them bring it back as a base model, run around, like the POLO and try to capture that simple beetle feel. I bet they would sell lots of them if they did it right. Price it cheap and make it your entry level vehicle. Below Golf in the states. I want to see a deck lid with louvers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:03 PM

803 posts, read 1,467,317 times
Yeah, I like the recent redesign of the Beetle more than the '98 "New Beetle", but it still seems a bit fussy and overdone to me. I'd be interested in seeing what VW plans to do with the Beetle name for the next generation car. I tend to agree that slotting it below the Golf, perhaps with dimensions similar to the original Golf/Rabbit of the 70's, sounds like a good idea and is more in keeping with the Beetle's utilitarian/econo car heritage.

Whether to name it the "Beetle" or not, I don't know.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,037,301 times
I'm a current owner of a 2012 Turbo Beetle, love the car...fantastic driving vehicle, and tons of fun in the twisty roads while being competent at highway speed.

VW had looked at reintroducing a mid/rear engine vehicle a couple years ago, the car was called the "bluesport" I think. It was going to be a shared platform with Porsche for a new entry level sports car slated to be below the Boxster, and cost in the 30k realm. The VW show car was equipped with a 2.0L TDI engine, and six speed transmission...i'm sure it'd have been a fun car to drive...but sadly, the two seater is on the back burner (if at all) presently...and the chassis would have needed more modifications to fit rear seats for a Beetle's architecture.

The redesign of the 2012 made the car "good looking" for me. The interior is still somewhat spartan, but well laid out. Materials were on the cheap side though, so it doesn't feel like a downgraded Audi, just a cheap VW...similar to 2012 Jetta (maybe higher class than that, but far below the Golf, Passat and CC).

I've honestly thought of going to my bodyshop buddies to see about installing a set of louvers on the rear hatch...but haven't gone about doing it yet...doubt I will, but I do think it'd look pretty trick.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,256,350 times
I don't know why VW is still building the Beetle, aka "New Beetle." Just about everyone who ever wanted one has owned one and has now moved on.

Of the Jetta, Golf, and Beetle, the Beetle depreciates the fastest. Then the Jetta, and best of all is the Golf. Depreciation is a cost of ownership, so why buy the least practical VW when it also loses value the fastest?

If VW is going to build a replacement for the Beetle, then it should go for a completely different design. Something that will make people forget about Mini Coopers and FIAT 500s and other small coupes.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:52 PM

17,660 posts, read 17,790,535 times
Other than nostalgia, there's no reason to buy a Beetle. It's built on the same platform as the VW Golf with the same engines as the Golf, including the GTI engine. The Golf offers more functional passenger and cargo space and is faster than the Beetle. The idea of the Beetle was to make a simple affordable car for the people. That's not what it has become today. The Fiat 500 was also originally an affordable people's car but has become all about style and price. Styling is good, but the price is high for what you get. Why buy a 500 when you can buy a much larger, faster, and more fuel efficient compact sedan for the same price? Why buy a small cramped Beetle when you can get a Jetta or Golf for about the same price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen