Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times

Advertisements

I have been in love with the Volvo 200 series for well over ten years now, I would love to get my hands on one someday, does anyone know if you can still get these in good shape? If so, how much do they go for on avg?

I would prefer a 240 Wagon... and obviously mileage isn't an issue-- I had a neighbor with a mid 80s volvo wagon with 550,000 miles on it. yes this is true, they even had the little badge on the grill.

Well anyone else love these cars? I read earlier on here that someone said these cars have a cult following, well personally this is a cult I would love to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Try CraigsList and eBay for starters.......they were built as late as 1993.

A especially rich source of those 2 series Volvos would be the Pacific Northwest as well as California.

One can even find 'em here in Arizona as well.

The above places tend to have rustfree cars.

And; you are wise in staying with the 4 cylinder 240 models------the V6 powered 260 series are not as good.

Another point: the stickshift versions seem to be higher demand

IMHO: the 240 series Volvo was the last good one built-------I would not give a plugged nickel for any of the newer models for longterm reliability.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
I own 2 of them - an 87 sedan and an 89 wagon. Fairly certain I will pick up another this summer. I appreciate these cars a lot. Like any other vehicle, they will have their gremlins. Pre- 87s had electrical wiring harness problems. My 89 supposedly has a bad ECU -the check engine light has been on for the last four years. The blower motor that powers the heater fan will fail in all of the 240s at some point. To replace it properly, the whole dashboard has to be taken apart. When considering a 240, ask about the blower motor. Better yet: Ask for a receipt. You can still find good 240s in the $1500 price range. They might need a bit of work - brakes, belts, shocks, exhaust. That sort of thing. The 92s & 93s, however, are going up in value.

Great site here. Look under the rear wheel drive section. Contains virtually every question ever about the 240. (and all the right answers)

The Volvo Resource: brickboard.com

Good Luck!

Last edited by square peg; 01-31-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 PM

Just curious square peg, what color is your wagon? I like the white or the whine color in the 80s models, or the hunter green or silver on the 93.

Thanks for the info tho, I figured 1500 would be about what u'd pay these days, which is amazing because I think they will always be good lasting cars!! AND btw I'm jealous you have 2.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
The wagon is indeed wine colored. Still shines pretty good for an older car, not so much today as it's covered with road grime. The sedan is navy. These cars came with great finishes that have withstood the test of time. 240s were not inexpensive cars of their day and were built to last. Two more reasons they have a cult following is that they're pretty easy to do your own work on and are rear wheel drive - low tech by modern standards. They made a gazillion of them over their twenty year run and parts are still easy to come by and relatively cheap, something that can't be said for most of todays cars.

Crash results have proven them to still be among the safest cars built. But I love the way the seats feel and the car handles. Excellent for a long trip. I used to have an Audi and it was a blast to drive, but it usually left my back feeling fatigued.

These cars certainly aren't for everyone, but go and try a few out and let us know what you find.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 PM

288 posts, read 1,554,766 times
I like the 80s wagons also. I also want a Saab 99.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:52 PM

628 posts, read 1,315,379 times
We purchased a new 1993 240 [last year it was made] and had it until this year. Sold it with 330,000 trouble free miles. Only major work was a new radiator at about 200,000. Went through 6 sets of tires and a lot of brake shoes in its life but when we sold it - it still didnt burn any oil. We changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. Best car I ever owned by far!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Anybody who has worked on the 240 series knows that you can take the blower motor out the driver's footwell side area after removing the right side squirrel cage blower off the right side of the motor by gently heating the blower so it slides off the shaft. You have to drill or cut out a very small opening on the right side of the blower case so you can slide the retainer clip off the blower and heat the blower so it slides off the motor shaft. You heat the blower again to slide the motor across to the right, and then clip the motor into place.

I was taught that "trick" by a dealership tech who was collecting full flat rate for the full tilt boogie blower motor replacement. He could do 2 to 3 of those blower motor replacements in a day.

A far bigger concern for me was the poor heater control water valve, which failed very quickly in every car. In a climate where you need the A/C system to work at it's best, the heater is always getting a dose of hot water and reheating the air even when you've got the heater temp control all the way to the off position. I found the best way to deal with this defect for the A/C season was to add an in-line water shut off valve in the hot water line so there was no water flow in the summer months. In the cool/cold season, it was no big deal to open the valve and have the heater restored to full functionality.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_47_00 View Post
I like the 80s wagons also. I also want a Saab 99.
Maybe someday you'll get one, I know I'll own one someday. But for now I have my die-cast models of the 1985 Volvo 240 Wagons. (1 silver, 1 red)

Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Well anyone else love these cars? I read earlier on here that someone said these cars have a cult following, well personally this is a cult I would love to join.
Here it is:Svenska 200 Klubben if you still are intrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo