Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 AM

9 posts, read 15,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Well I would definitely point you towards Takoma park, Silver Spring area. They are close convenient and cool spots. The Takoma Park that people tend to be negative towards, are University Blvd and New Hampshire avenue areas. 410 which I believe is east west highway and Phildelphia avenue is really where the nice houses are. Downtown Silver Spring is nice and both places are metro accessible if you want to go downtown D.C. I forgot to mention that these areas are very diverse areas. That means a lot of different races and cultures. I love it.

I'm a firm believer in working close to your job 120k should be enough to even purchase a house in Montgomery County. That is my spill on my locations. What exactly are you looking for?
Thanks, we are looking for either a TH or SH in the suburbs, safety, parks, is a must for us. We appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM

165 posts, read 563,937 times
Default Consider these zip codes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abakuba View Post
Thanks, we are looking for either a TH or SH in the suburbs, safety, parks, is a must for us. We appreciate your help.
20912 Takoma Park (East West Hwy/410 btw Caroll Ave & Georgia Ave)
20910 Silver Spring
20815 Chevy Chase
20814 Bethesda/Chevy Chase
20895 Kensington

East West/410 is the main artery connecting these areas including downtown Silver Spring, Dowtown Bethesda, and Connecticut Avenue (going North takes you to Kensington and south into the heart of Chevy Chase).

Long & Foster has many signs in the area (I'm not advocating for/against--just noting what I see) and they have a rental property search on their Web site. You can plug in zip codes to see what they have in the above areas.

The Rock Creek and Georgetown Branch/Captial Crescent Trails cross one another just north of EW/410 before Jones Bridge Road. There are many parks and recreational fields along the trails.

C.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:21 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
$2400 is upper crust around here...the question is which state. VA or MD? Or even DC itself?
Really? Man, I really need to have that load modification come through.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,989 times
Response:
I have a lovely single-family home available just for you. It's a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath blessed home sitting on a corner lot. The kitchen has a beautiful granite countertop,a stainless steel refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, and microwave. Has a fireplace in the family room and nice size deck. Looking to lease the home with the option to buy. Lease amount per month is approximately $2,000.00. It's less than 1-hour drive from home to the Pentagon. If you want to ride the metro train to work (Pentagon or Walter Reed), you are approximately 15 minutes from the Largo Metro Station. If you are a football fan, you are approximately 20 minutes from the Washington Redskins Football Stadium. There is a brand new elementary school near for your school aged child. Good school system. A few school buses stop on your corner. Diverse, safe, family friendly area.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,989 times
Quote:
To sum it up: Where in VA or MD could we afford a $2400 rent?
Response:
I have a lovely single-family home available just for you. It's a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath blessed home sitting on a corner lot located in Bowie MD. The kitchen has a beautiful granite countertop,a stainless steel refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, and microwave. Has a fireplace in the family room and nice size deck. Looking to lease the home with the option to buy. Lease amount per month is approximately $2,100.00. If you want to ride the metro train to work, you are approximately 15 minutes from the Largo Metro Station. If you are a football fan, you are approximately 20 minutes from the Washington Redskins Football Stadium. There is a brand new elementary school near for your school aged children. Good school system. A few school buses stop on your corner. Diverse, safe, family friendly area. Has several park areas nearby and numerous activities for the children to do year round. Also near a nice shopping area. Must see to appreciate.

Last edited by Blessed0201; 06-21-2010 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Added park information.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:48 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Which state? Let's see. Works in Takoma Park. Wants suburbs. Why is anyone even asking which state?
You can't be that dense.

Takoma Park is less than a mile to the D.C. line, and it's about 10 miles to the VA line...I'd say the possibilities are a-plenty in either DC, MD, or VA. It all depends on which state you prefer.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
We are looking in between VA and MD
VA---Fairfax county is my first choice. Second choice? Perhaps Arlington.

MD---Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Rockville, West Gaithersburg 20878/20879. Avoid East Gaithersburg 20877.

Depending on your stance, one of either state will suit you. If you lean left, MD is better. If you lean right, VA is better.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Really? Man, I really need to have that load modification come through.
Yeah, really. $2,400 in RENT. That's r-e-n-t.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM

363 posts, read 439,311 times
Congratulations to you and your wife on the new job! May I ask what field it is your wife works in? That is really awesome.

I live now in a south suburb of Chicago, but went to high school in Germantown, Maryland. This was 30 years ago, and I know times have changed BUT I still have fond memories, and I would move back there if I could.

One thing is for sure, the winter weather is much milder. There was also less racial tension, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, and your kids will grow up with much less racial hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland