Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 08:17 PM

18 posts, read 97,444 times

Advertisements

We are moving from metro NY (NJ) to the area and we love the craftsman-style bungalows and funky vibe in Takoma Park. But we have two young kids and want to make sure there are lots of family-oriented things to do, parks to play in, and safe areas. Can anyone, who lives there, give us some insights? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 AM

165 posts, read 563,937 times
Default Funky vibe indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamablue View Post
We are moving from metro NY (NJ) to the area and we love the craftsman-style bungalows and funky vibe in Takoma Park. But we have two young kids and want to make sure there are lots of family-oriented things to do, parks to play in, and safe areas. Can anyone, who lives there, give us some insights? Thanks!
Yes I believe it is family-oriented and there is a very "activist" culture with many "artsy" types in the area. Check the city Web site at takomaparkmd.gov. The 4th of July parade is coming up and other annual events include the Takoma Park Street Festival, Jazz Fest, and Independent Film Festival--went to the Jazz Fest last year and it was a pretty good event.

The primary schools include Piney Branch, Rolling Terrace, Sligo Creek and Takoma Park Elementaries--I don't know much about them but you can look them up.

I've run on Sligo Creek trail between Wayne Ave and University Blvd which runs along Sligo Creek Parkway and there are always folks riding bikes with their kids on the trail. Downtown Silver Spring is adjacent to Takoma Park and I was there on Sunday and noticed lots of kids playing in the "water" area in front of Romano's.

It is a very ethnically diverse area and located close enough to DC to take advantage of the museum's and such.

C.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:43 PM

18 posts, read 97,444 times
Thanks for the response. I'll be back there tomorrow, looking at more homes and checking out the area. I will also check out the website.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
It's called Berkeley of the East for a reason.

The area is very safe, but also very grass roots granola activist in nature. The Langley Park area of Takoma Park has a slightly disproportionate amount of crime than other areas, but not too terribly.

Takoma is quite safe IMHO...

Old 07-24-2010, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 41,471 times
What you are saying is that Langley Park is full of negroes and hispanics.
Spell it out, it's still o.k to be White.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnor12 View Post
no its called going to Takoma Police website and comparing statistics...

you're the one who is making a stupid correlation between race and crime... if that's what you want to do... go ahead...

Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM

884 posts, read 2,641,405 times
Langley Park is next to Takoma Park but not a part of it right?

Honesty, I used to live a little north of there and I never went into Langley. Too many robberies on the crime report website, very heavy -I would say 80% Hispanic-population (not a bad thing but I don't speak the language) and don't care for the day-laborers cat-calling.

My friend lives in Takoma and said the closer to Silver Spring is the better side.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 PM

14 posts, read 80,531 times
Default re: Langley Park crime

I think the entire Washington D.C. area is not a place to live in you
think you are going to live with people of one race - this is about the
most racially/ethnically diverse place in the nation. The crime thing is
caused by ignorant/mean/poverty living people. Generations of families
growing up with no other way of life - no job skills, education, or morals.
There are many "racially mixed" areas all over the D.C. area that don't
have the crime of Langley Park business district and nearby apartments....

As far as Takoma Park goes, it is a cool area - I wish I lived there -
Occasionally people get hit over the head while walking from the Takoma
Park metro to their homes, but it is infrequent.
Silver Spring has its "hot spots", too, besides Takoma Park, but I think
both Silver Spring and Takoma Park are mostly nice places to live.

=========================

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...#ixzz0vIeQkFY5

Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM

331 posts, read 903,573 times
Theres parts of Takoma Park that are ghetto and have more crime, there areas tend to be near the Montgomery/Prince George's County border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland