Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 AM

53 posts, read 157,885 times

Advertisements

Unless they are offering CCW permits at settlement I wouldn't even consider it. It's like flipping a house in Fallujah, I'm sure you can get a great deal but who would buy it when you're done? A house is only really worth what you can sell it for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelativelyGruntled View Post
A house is only really worth what you can sell it for.

Rental income is great though.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:06 PM

53 posts, read 157,885 times
ok its only worth what you can sell/rent it for. (at least until its seized as part of a drug investigation when the tenants are caught for dealing meth.)

Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM

96 posts, read 376,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I was born and lived much of my life in Oxon Hill. I personally wrote most of the following article: Oxon Hill, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. What's the exact address or development there that you're considering, and what is your race, and your family and employment situation ? I might add, there's a good reason why the developers of "National Harbor" do everything to hide their complex behind a tall fence, and dis-associate with the community name of Oxon Hill.
i dont know the development area but theres this house i really like on lindsay road, cross street is livingtson road. im black, just me and the hubbie, both working, no kids.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM

oh sorry i took so long to respond. yeah i figured oxon hill was a bad area. i was thinking of moving to ft washington but it looks like its in the "woods" with commute being a pain in the butt.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedea Jade View Post
i dont know the development area but theres this house i really like on lindsay road, cross street is livingtson road. im black, just me and the hubbie, both working, no kids.

Lindsay Road is in the "Southlawn" community of one-story Rambler-style homes, built in the mid-1950s. Within a one-mile-radius of Lindsay Road are the giant Oxon Hill High School, several very large churches, a very large modern public library, a private swimming-pool, a year-round ice-rink, and the Henson Hike/Bike path. The Beltway is under 2 miles. Southlawn has very affordably priced homes, although in other areas near the shore of the River you will find nicer and bigger homes.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 AM

id love a house with a view of the potomac but those houses are probably like 600k and higher. im trying to stay within 300k for the budget unless sellers are willing to drop 50k-100k of their selling price which i seriously doubt.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 AM

what about in this area? i found this for rent but its apparently for sale as well:

6331 Stonewain Ct, Fort Washington, MD 20744 MLS# PG7356104 - Zillow

Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 AM

Yep that is south lawn. I am not far from there and am very familiar with it. Lots of people of all backgrounds moving there to renovated affordable homes that are a short commute into the city and NoVa. I see newcomers that are asian, middle eastern, white, but it is mainly black and Filipino. Generally quiet but there are also Investors who snatched some of them up for 80 to 150k and rent them out to section 8 folks not that they are all bad people but there are some unsavory character residing back there that r renters. With a 300k budget there are nicer neighborhoods. Most south lawn home do not have garages. With car break ins happening every now and then you will prefer a garage. The high school is in that community and I do not know what issues that brings. On that side of 210 livingston woods is the best community. Around the corner from south lawn but newer homes and a nice solid middle class community many who are the original purchasers when they were constructed and lots of govt retirees. Look at Broderick drive listings. This is the best community on that side of 210.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 AM

You can find under 300k on the river side of 210 it may nor be a water view but the nicer neighborhoods are on that side. Look around panorama, Esther drive and claudia drive for Oxon hill which is north of kerby hill road and south of beltway. I have a friend that bought in that neighborhood not long after I moved over here. She bought when they were 380 and now many are going for 250 to 280. I am over there often to visit and have gotten to know many of the neighbors as they invite each other to parties. There are lots of retirees, 40 to 80 something folks, I've met her white, black, Latino neighbors and everyone is really nice. It is a tight knit community that sits across Oxon hill rd from the Natl harbor. Once you cross kerby hill road on the river side of 210 or livingston road on the other side of 210 the neighborhoods have fort Washington zip codes instead of Oxon hill.

My agent when I purchased over here was trying to steer me to a fort Washington address instead of Oxon hill. I now know why because of the stigma associated with the parts of Oxon hill that r inside the beltway. But all I cared about was that I found a house under 300 that had everything I liked and was around the corner from the beltway entrance. I didn't want to deal with being further down 210 and dealing with all the traffic coming from ft Washington, accokeek and Charles county toward dc. Depending on how far down you go into ft Washington it can add another 10 to 20 minutes to your morning commute. I actually have to do that commute now anyway since I moved my mom and grandma here from Missouri to be my childcare. I moved them to a senior apt near ft. Washington road and i drop the baby off in the morning. It takes me an extra 15 minutes to get back to where I would normally get on 210 from my house. The neighborhoods in oxon hill that border fort Washington have older homes and are more affordable typically but the neighborhoods are just as nice as fort wash. Many of the folks that live on the border just say they live in ft wash not Oxon hill. Basically inside the beltway Oxon hill has a negative rep hence as others have said the Nat'l harbor doesn't like to admit that it is actually part of Oxon hill.

Sorry about my haphazard typing. Did this on iPad while juggling a baby lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland