Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM

96 posts, read 377,050 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if its a good area thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,866 times
The "ox"?

Not really....just depends on your comfort level...if you can live in a war zone then oxon hill is okay...but if you need everything to be perfect and pleasantville like I would go in another direction

Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 AM

845 posts, read 2,832,031 times
I was born and lived much of my life in Oxon Hill. I personally wrote most of the following article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxon_Hill,_MD. What's the exact address or development there that you're considering, and what is your race, and your family and employment situation ? I might add, there's a good reason why the developers of "National Harbor" do everything to hide their complex behind a tall fence, and dis-associate with the community name of Oxon Hill.

Last edited by slowlane; 07-09-2010 at 05:02 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedea Jade View Post
Just wondering if its a good area thanks!
Definitely not one of DC's best surburbs.

Surely avoid the area inside the Capital beltway and most of the apartments. Rule of thumb the further from the Beltway you are the better.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM

53 posts, read 157,947 times
Short answer; no.
Long answer; Holy $^!* no!

Rule of thumb is right. Another rule of thumb, once you cross the PG County border, things generally get better.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:46 AM

845 posts, read 2,832,031 times
One problem has always been that Southeast D.C. has virtually no shopping or dining, so all the hoods from the projects of Southeast must come to Oxon Hill or other areas in P.G. County for basic shopping or entertainment, which brings more crime.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,947 times
The only part I would recommend is the part that borders Fort Washington at the beginning of Rt 210 the community that borders Nat'l Harbor and the river outside the beltway if left of 210 (example 203 Gina Ct, Oxon Hill, MD, 20745 - MLS #PG7001956 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®) and if to the right of 210 the Livingston Woods community (example 810 Broderick Dr, Oxon Hill, MD, 20745 - MLS #PG7351928 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®)
Check out River Ridge Estates and Panorama Dr., neighborhoods between the beltway (some nice water views) and Kerby Hill Rd. Also see Livingston Woods community off of Broderick drive.
I personally wouldn't live in any other part of Oxon Hill beyond those mentioned above (one of the areas suggested above) and I grew up in inner city St. Louis so it is not beyond my comfort zone but I don't have to live in that environment now. The best part is outside the beltway and inside the beltway is worse. But of course that depends on your own needs, background and lifestyle. There are areas of newer construction inside the beltway in Oxon Hill that have teachers, nurses, etc living there that were attracted to new construction for under $200k and in that price range there are a lot of options there. Everyone can't afford a $400k-500k home. You can get a detached house with a yard and be a short commute to DC for under $200k...there are not a lot of areas that can say that. You will have to deal with the low end strip mall shopping and the occasional car breakin though. The low prices also attract a lot of investors who rent them out and that can impact the mentality of the residents that are in the community since actual homeowners tend to have more pride in their community and tend not to be the ones causing mischief.

As a demographic I would describe my outside the beltway Oxon Hill neighbors as diverse including large Filipino population (great family oriented folks!), a large retired govt and military population, some original white residents who have stayed and some new young white families and singles, lots of Asian families (many seem attracted to the Science and Tech part of Oxon Hill high), some Middle Eastern, Latino business owners, black professionals and self-employed business owners, etc. Well kept homes and yards. There are nurses, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, a tech consultant that grosses over a $ million a year, lawyers, many fed gov workers, landscape business owners, etc. are some of the neighbors I have met.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
One problem has always been that Southeast D.C. has virtually no shopping or dining, so all the hoods from the projects of Southeast must come to Oxon Hill or other areas in P.G. County for basic shopping or entertainment, which brings more crime.
true, shopping centers in Ft. Washington tend to be nicer than the ones in downtown Oxon Hill like River Towne shopping center
Beyond the Nat'l Harbor, I tend to go to the Ft. Washington stores/restaurants more

Nat'l Harbor is not attracting the bad element thus far...probably as parking and everything down there is expensive

Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 PM

321 posts, read 1,125,845 times
Like several people have already said, the nicer areas of Oxon Hill are the areas furthest from the DC line (towards Fort Washington). That being said, though, there are some decent areas in Oxon Hill closer toward DC, even inside the Beltway (areas along Wheeler Rd, Owens Rd, etc).

Personally, I would avoid the areas I marked on this map:
Oxon Hill - Google Maps

The neighborhood immediately outside of DC (Glassmanor) south of Southern Ave and between 210 and Owens Rd is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in PG County, and to make matters worse it borders some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in DC.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 AM

I can see why there are inquiries. There are a lot of older duplexes and condos that people snatched up for under $50k and have renovated them (to flip or rent out) and they look really nice inside. I browsed the area that this one is in myself when I was looking for investment properties. Everything outside your door in this Glassmanor area is rough and sketchy but the renovated homes look great inside like this one. 1003 MARCY Ave #301, OXON HILL, MD 20745 | MLS# PG7387924 I ended up getting an investment property in Oxon Hill but outside the beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland