Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM

331 posts, read 905,008 times

Advertisements

Something similar happened to me before when I lived in Gaithersburg. Its always rebellious teenagers and most likely happens in an area that was once 80%+ white but become more diverse over the years. Common throughout Montgomery County, Prince George's County (Outside of the beltway), Calvert County, and Charles County sine all of those areas we're once near 90-100% white with a southern mindset. All of which are pretty diverse but have racial tensions in certain areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 PM

381 posts, read 815,179 times
Hmmm...the OP didn't mention where this happened but I'm going to guess Laurel as per location.

I would assume it would have to be the HoCo portion of Laurel. The PG and AA parts of Laurel are majority black and it would be dumb for anyone to do this.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 AM

13,669 posts, read 20,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Hmmm...the OP didn't mention where this happened but I'm going to guess Laurel as per location.

I would assume it would have to be the HoCo portion of Laurel. The PG and AA parts of Laurel are majority black and it would be dumb for anyone to do this.

That was my thinking as well. Assuming its true, it is not very characteristic of this region. And whose to say it was not done by other black people, who then covered their tracks by writing slurs? Seen that before. Bottom line is nobody knows.

And some of these implications that the region is some version of 1895 Alabama are laughable.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:57 AM

2,045 posts, read 4,563,775 times
Quote:

Nope, PG County. The historic area of Laurel, which is PG County, is majority white. The areas immediately outside the historic area where most of the apartments are located is more diverse.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Nope, PG County. The historic area of Laurel, which is PG County, is majority white. The areas immediately outside the historic area where most of the apartments are located is more diverse.
Well, I am still inclined to think that this is more isolated to your tiny area and not typical of Laurel as a whole for the reason I stated.

I do hope people don't assume that this is commonplace as some of the earlier posts seemed to imply that this is like the deep south in the 60s.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 PM

2,045 posts, read 4,563,775 times
Quote:
Well, I am still inclined to think that this is more isolated to your tiny area and not typical of Laurel as a whole for the reason I stated.

I do hope people don't assume that this is commonplace as some of the earlier posts seemed to imply that this is like the deep south in the 60s.
The whole point of my post was that this was so strange and rare in these times and in this area. Even as a kid growing up in PG in the 60s and 70s, my neighborhood was fully integrated and we were definitely ahead of the game regarding race relations. In no way was I trying to imply that this is anything other than an isolated incident in my area.
If you've ever read any of my other posts regarding Laurel, I rarely say anything negative and usually defend it from people that automatically say to avoid it because part of it is PG County.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,998,010 times
That was such a terrible thing that was done to your neighbors! Whoever keyed racial slurs on your neighbor's car was disgusting, immature, cowardly and needs to get a reality check and grow up! Diversity is here to stay in America people! I don't see the need to hate on a person because of their race or ethnic background; it doesn't make any sense. And whoever did this doesn't need to get he or she's message across by vandalizing someone else's property w/ racial remarks! I hope they find whoever did this.

As for the neighborhood watch, that's a really good idea. However, the person or persons who did this may join the neighborhood watch to avoid suspicion, so keep your eyes peeled! The yard sale idea sounds great as well.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The whole point of my post was that this was so strange and rare in these times and in this area. Even as a kid growing up in PG in the 60s and 70s, my neighborhood was fully integrated and we were definitely ahead of the game regarding race relations. In no way was I trying to imply that this is anything other than an isolated incident in my area.
If you've ever read any of my other posts regarding Laurel, I rarely say anything negative and usually defend it from people that automatically say to avoid it because part of it is PG County.
I'm glad.

And I wasn't even talking about you, but there were a couple of posts that kind of hinted that this kind of thing is unique to this area and doesn't happen in NY or out west.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM

13,669 posts, read 20,811,465 times
Quote:
Well you can take comfort in the fact that it is indeed rare. As a lover of old cars, your neighbor has my sympathies. A man's care, especially a car like that, is a chariot and its been violated.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:49 PM

377 posts, read 577,000 times
Quote:
I met a young lady from New York not too long ago that felt the same way as you. She said this area just left a bad taste in her mouth. Even though there is a large black population, she felt the segregation was more noticeable and the racial tensions more obvious than in NY.
I was born 1929 near the Navy Yard DC. Spent my first 20 years there. It was all black back then. Only 3 white families in 2 houses. I'm Jewish. DC was a model southern town. Hate-Black Hate-Jews laws. So it is the history of DC. My mom came to DC from East Bronx NYC at the age of 14. So when for my 16th birthday she, single parent deadbeat dad who died when I was around 8YO and two months before the divorce, for my 16th birthday she gathered my brother and me around her and told us something shocking: "When you go to NY and sit in a restaurant, there may be a colored person sitting right near you. When you go to a movie, there may be a colored person sitting right next to you."

It's so strange to read these reports today about noticing something "odd" about DC. It IS DC. In fact, I heard the grapevine during those 20 years (actually we did move to Ellen Wilson Dwellings which was public housing for whites in the same area) grapevine say "Just wait until we grow up. We're gonna force the whites out of DC". I couldn't blame them for feeling this way. My only wish back then was that they would take advantage of being segregated and learn to read Hebrew in public school.

I had to go to Jew-Hating white school and then to Hebrew School. I wished they would have let me go to the colored schools and then maybe we would all learn to read Deuteronomy in Hebrew together Of course the Jews didn't let me learn Hebrew reading Deuteronomy when I was 7-12 years old either I just learned in the 21st century because the Torah Scrolls have been digitized, my cdrom The Trope Trainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland