Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:36 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I wouldn't be in traffic because I would just use the train to get to work. Also my wife would work close by so that wouldn't be an issue either.
Even using public transportation it will probably still be a relatively long commute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by meatkins
I wouldn't be in traffic because I would just use the train to get to work. Also my wife would work close by so that wouldn't be an issue either.
Even using public transportation it will probably still be a relatively long commute
Quote:
On first reading your situation, I was going to suggest that you consider moving instead to Bowie, Crofton, Waldorf or LaPlata, MD, which all meet the criteria you say you are looking for, are multi-racial affordable communities, and would be closer to your job.
I also was going to recommend Bowie (PG) or Crofton (AA). (I don't know much about La Plata or Waldorf)

I've never taken VRE, and don't know about it either...
A railroad train is faster that a commuter/subway train to be sure, but it still sounds like an hour commute to me. It depends on how close you are to the station on either end.

If it REALLY, REALISTICALLY takes you 20 minutes to leave your door, drive to the station, get a parking spot, WALK OVER TO THE PLATFORM -- and actually be waiting for -- or GET ON a train.....

...and your ride is 20 mins -- by the time you LEAVE your station -- you get to your destination stop -- and you have to walk 10-15 min to work...get INTO the building, go up to you floor, get your coffee or stop at the, or pause to say hello to someone -- and SIT AT YOUR DESK....(and I doubt you

...that's 50-55 mins.

Unless you live close to the station -- and/or the train lets you off at you building or darn close to it. You might as well say an hour.

The SAD thing is an hour commute in this area is NOT really that long -- and people are STILL tired of it.
Yet it can beI hard to complain about an hour when a co-worker has a one-and-a-half hour commute.

Also psychologically it's the CONGESTION that kills me.
(I'd rather do an hour on 95 to go 40-50 miles...than an hour in rush hour to go 18. Especially when the drive is 40 mins one day and an hour 15 the next - -you keep telling yourself "There's no reason for this!!!! AARRRRGGGGHH!"

Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 AM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
I couldn't agree with this statement more. While I like having the option of taking the metro, Silver Spring to ballston stop is at least 45 min. This is not including the 25 mins to get to the metro station. While I lived in Waldorf it actually didn't make any sense to catch the metro. It takes about 30-35 mins just to catch the metro. Since my job is in Va that is about an 45 mins to get to work. So while public transportation is nice depending on where you live it doesn't really shorten the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
On first reading your situation, I was going to suggest that you consider moving instead to Bowie, Crofton, Waldorf or LaPlata, MD, which all meet the criteria you say you are looking for, are multi-racial affordable communities, and would be closer to your job.

But if you are able to commute using a combination of VRE (Virginia Railway Express) and Metrorail from Prince William to Suitland, by transferring at L'Enfant Plaza station, that is admirable from a "green" environmental standpoint. And your car insurance rates should be lower. Maybe you can read or nap while riding the trains, making more free time when you get home for family activities. And keep checking / registering for carpool possibilities at Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments - ridesharing program.

You know Bowie makes the most sense, BUT my wife HATES Maryland. She wants nothing to do with it. She is originally not from this area (Hampton Roads), and she just thinks Maryland is culturally unacceptable to her. I've tried to sell her on places like Bowie, but she's not buying it. She loves VA, naturally, so in essence that is one of the few places we have agreed on.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
That is true, but I never said that a move like this would make my commute short. My point was I wouldn't have the stress of sitting in traffic all the time. There really isn't a whole lot that can be done to avoid a long commute regardless if I drive or take public transportation.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I also was going to recommend Bowie (PG) or Crofton (AA). (I don't know much about La Plata or Waldorf)

I've never taken VRE, and don't know about it either...
A railroad train is faster that a commuter/subway train to be sure, but it still sounds like an hour commute to me. It depends on how close you are to the station on either end.

If it REALLY, REALISTICALLY takes you 20 minutes to leave your door, drive to the station, get a parking spot, WALK OVER TO THE PLATFORM -- and actually be waiting for -- or GET ON a train.....

...and your ride is 20 mins -- by the time you LEAVE your station -- you get to your destination stop -- and you have to walk 10-15 min to work...get INTO the building, go up to you floor, get your coffee or stop at the, or pause to say hello to someone -- and SIT AT YOUR DESK....(and I doubt you

...that's 50-55 mins.

Unless you live close to the station -- and/or the train lets you off at you building or darn close to it. You might as well say an hour.

The SAD thing is an hour commute in this area is NOT really that long -- and people are STILL tired of it.
Yet it can beI hard to complain about an hour when a co-worker has a one-and-a-half hour commute.

Also psychologically it's the CONGESTION that kills me.
(I'd rather do an hour on 95 to go 40-50 miles...than an hour in rush hour to go 18. Especially when the drive is 40 mins one day and an hour 15 the next - -you keep telling yourself "There's no reason for this!!!! AARRRRGGGGHH!"
The area that we are targeting in PWC is less than a 5 minute drive to the station and on the other side of it, the metro station is literally across the parking lot from my job so it wouldn't be a lot of extra time. After I time it, it would take 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hours 30 minutes to commute from living out there. That's not bad for this area, considering the distance.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Wow, that's kinda wild considering Hampton Roads area is not a cultural mecca. Bruh navigating from Va is pretty tough. Take a look at Maryland and don't knock out Maryland completely. The metro is closer and it's more dependable than the VRE. If your whole thing is she doesn't want to live in PG well then I understand. You will notice that Northern Va and Maryland aren't that different. Just a bridge and water that separates us.

Quote:
You know Bowie makes the most sense, BUT my wife HATES Maryland. She wants nothing to do with it. She is originally not from this area (Hampton Roads), and she just thinks Maryland is culturally unacceptable to her. I've tried to sell her on places like Bowie, but she's not buying it. She loves VA, naturally, so in essence that is one of the few places we have agreed on.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
That is true, but I never said that a move like this would make my commute short. My point was I wouldn't have the stress of sitting in traffic all the time. There really isn't a whole lot that can be done to avoid a long commute regardless if I drive or take public transportation.
No, but it still brings up the point made by montco that a longer commute means less time spent with your family

Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Believe me selhars I understand your trying to get settled in the area, trust me hour long commutes can become taxing after a while. Your career and money is not worth all the headache. If you can afford to do so live closer to your job. Your family and your wallet will thank you later.
Quote:
No, but it still brings up the point made by montco that a longer commute means less time spent with your family

Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
just to be clear jayman.....there's no need for me to get acquainted (perhaps you've confused my posts with someone else's). I've lived in the are for almost 15 years.

My frustration is that I was hoping to change jobs -- AND don't want a longer commute.

And, living in PG, before I wanted to change jobs, I sort-of knew PG had no jobs, but it wasn't an issue for me, because I have the same job I had before I moved from Silver Spring.

But since I've been job hunting -- AND was hoping to have a shorter commute - it's just hitting home TO ME that PG doesn't have as many options as Montgomery and NoVa.

I'm tired of seeing better than 90% percent of the government -- AND private sector gigs in my field -- in areas that by default mean a LONGER commute.

Right now I reverse commute in the afternoon, from Bowie to 13&L -- not exactly a BAD or long commute, (so I sort of feel bad about complaining) -- but still -- I'm tired of doing it. Driving into the city is a PAIN. 35 mins one day -- an hour the next.

There was a job open at the Ag Dept. and I didn't apply because if I'm tired of driving to 13th and L -- I know good and well I don't want to have to get ACROSS the city to the other side of the Mall and WH to 4th and C..... another job at Georgetown would be a nightmare to get to. Just thinking about driving in there makes me cringe. My burnout at work is spilling over into me not wanting just deal with the congestion.

Most of the jobs are in Bethesda, Rockville, Nova or downtown. Where are the MAJOR EMPLOYERS in PG COUNTY!!!!!???

(And I don't like public transportation. I hate it.)

What I WANT is and easy DRIVE to work. yeah...me and a million other people in the metro area.

At least I HAVE a job to go to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland