Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 09:47 AM

185 posts, read 992,250 times

Advertisements

My husband's weighing a job opportunity in Germantown. But I don't know where to look for housing. We want to be within a 45 minute commute.

We currenly have a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath 2 car garage home with .25 acres, 2000 sq feet finished, and 500 sq feet unfinished (basement). We want to get a home that is as close to this as possible (in an ideal world we'd like more land but realize that it's unrealistic). We can afford a 350K house at the maximum. We absolutely do not want a townhouse, where do we look for housing?

recommendations?

Oh, and we have a baby so good schools would be a plus.

Valerie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
I would check out Frederick or Gaithersburg........

Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 PM

yeah frederick's an option. I'm not seing anything comperable for that price range in gaithersburg. was just wondering if there were other towns to check out that i wouldn't be aware of since i'm not local.

thanks,

Old 06-24-2007, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,572 times
Default good luck

I live in Germantown - great family town - would love to have my job here too! However, you will not be finding a 4 bedroom single family home for under $500K -- at least not one in a desirable part of town. You won't really even find a townhouse for under $350K. A 4-bedroom townhouse in a desirable neighborhood will cost $425 and up.

Where are you relocating from? If you must have a house for under $400K, than you will need to look at Hagerstown (40 miles west in washington county) or rural parts of Frederick County. If you find a house for under $400 in Frederick or under $500K in Montgomery County than you need to be careful of safety and school systems.

Germantown is full of townhouses. I don't know if you have seen townhouses in the suburbs of DC, but they are rather nice and can be very large. I have lived in them for years and am happy enough. Some have garages, some have four bedrooms. I would love to have a single family house, but am not willing to commute 90 minutes for it, or be house poor.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 12,458 times
Most people choose not to relocate to this area because it is so expensive for housing. You are lucky that the position is in Germantown. Frederick County or Washington County is going to be your best bet...but you will still have a difficult time finding anything that won't be a hard commute. Consider a townhouse...after all it is just a job and your family is important.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:36 PM

We live in upstate new york. where the housing prices are so low in comparison that when we sell our house it will basically be a down payment on on in the germantown area.

I've lived in half a double houses and we knew all the neighbor's troubles from hearing their arguements through the walls. my husband always grew up in single homes with acreage, so he won't consider a townhouse. at least he's willing to consider looking at houses without 2 car garages lol

Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 24,645 times
Poolesville is a great place but look to spend about 450k for a single family home close to yours. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland