Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,357 times

Advertisements

There is a similar thread over in the Northern Virginia as the the focus of the attacks were in Leesburg. He was caught last night at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. Here is the post article with his mugshots and here is the article when his identity was unknown and is more descriptive of the gory details and of fatal attacks that he committed in Michigan.

I am duplicating this post because of a series of threads that I have encountered in Maryland forums. The tone of these forums is that black males are dangerous and commit most homicides. Piggybacking these sentiments are that anti-black racism no longer exists; it is only black paranoia or reverse racism where blacks are going after whites.

The tone in the Northern Virginia forum is extremely civilized and based on facts about the attacks. I would like the logic and temperament of the Virginia DC Suburbs to extend over into Maryland. Homicides are committed by both blacks and whites and yes, there are still random assaults by whites on blacks in this country ; America's blacks are not bands of murderers seeking white prey. I think if the attitude of Northern Virginia's forum participants can permeate all of metropolitan DC/Baltimore we can get away from the "looking over my shoulder" mentality as a one way street and come together as an integrated community where every issue doesn't have a racial undercurrent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,555 times
Nothing personal but this post is not helpful for dealing with violent crime. Obviously this guy has mental problems and will get his but to sit their and tally up who's killing who is insane. I hate hearing about "white" paranoia too but my ax grind is with the media who use AA males as a tool to scare people and gain ratings... and young AA males who chose violence/chaos/abandonment over honor/family/community and building legacy...the fears are honest and real and being brutally honest with myself could understand that giving the murder/violence rate DC has gone threw over the last 20-30 years....let's hope that with Fenty commitment to reforming the education system, real drug/law reforms, and financial empowerment in the AA community will help alleviate and change perceptions....whether real or imaginery...

Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,145 times
You both make some very good points. I think the OP is helpful in sparking a (hopefully) civilized conversation. You aren't kidding about the tone in the Northern Virginia forum. From time to time, I like going there because of the topics, and the discussion. I will add that the Baltimore forum also has some good discussions from time to time, about matters other than race-baiting.

Part of the reason threads seem to go awry around here is that so much of the focus is on the negative and not the positive. There is a lot to like about Maryland, believe it or not!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
I think this is an important topic to look at. Zippy makes a good point about the perception of African Americans in the media. I, however, do not put my hopes in one man or an administration to change what is going on in the communities. It really starts at home. Unfortunately we have some AA who come from broken homes, haven't been raised, and destroy the image of the black man because the media focuses on the negative side of things. I'm a believer that Prince George's County isn't quite as bad as most make it on here, but it isn't quite as good as most defend it to be. The issue with our county and even DC, is that we've become so focused on things that aren't important like new houses, new condos and lofts, fancy cars, instead of focusing on educating and empowering our people. The main difference between NoVA and PG/DC is if there are budget cuts to education or anything dealing with children, those parents are knocking down the doors of the administration, demanding change. What do we do as a community? We worry about getting Nordstrom places in our malls, getting a McMansion in Bowie, keeping up our BMW and Benz-es, but we don't care about the things that really matter to our community. When we as black men step up, get involved in our communities, care about important issues instead of material things then we will see this county/area change for the better. Until then we continue to have major issues within our community and we will continue to be betrayed in such a way because we don't step up. The potential is there, the focus is not.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I think this is an important topic to look at. Zippy makes a good point about the perception of African Americans in the media. I, however, do not put my hopes in one man or an administration to change what is going on in the communities. It really starts at home. Unfortunately we have some AA who come from broken homes, haven't been raised, and destroy the image of the black man because the media focuses on the negative side of things. I'm a believer that Prince George's County isn't quite as bad as most make it on here, but it isn't quite as good as most defend it to be. The issue with our county and even DC, is that we've become so focused on things that aren't important like new houses, new condos and lofts, fancy cars, instead of focusing on educating and empowering our people. The main difference between NoVA and PG/DC is if there are budget cuts to education or anything dealing with children, those parents are knocking down the doors of the administration, demanding change. What do we do as a community? We worry about getting Nordstrom places in our malls, getting a McMansion in Bowie, keeping up our BMW and Benz-es, but we don't care about the things that really matter to our community. When we as black men step up, get involved in our communities, care about important issues instead of material things then we will see this county/area change for the better. Until then we continue to have major issues within our community and we will continue to be betrayed in such a way because we don't step up. The potential is there, the focus is not.
Great post! When I first moved to the County, my thought was, "I will just send my children to private school." Well, it turns out that I didn't, based on a series of events. Hindsight being what it is, I would have stuck to my desire to purchase a starter home in Bowie near the best public schools. Or even opted to live elsewhere until they are out of school. I have managed to place my children in good schools, but it has taken some doing. I love my home and I'm a big fan of PG County, but I do think more and more about the return for my tax dollars.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
There is a similar thread over in the Northern Virginia as the the focus of the attacks were in Leesburg. He was caught last night at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. Here is the post article with his mugshots and here is the article when his identity was unknown and is more descriptive of the gory details and of fatal attacks that he committed in Michigan.

I am duplicating this post because of a series of threads that I have encountered in Maryland forums. The tone of these forums is that black males are dangerous and commit most homicides. Piggybacking these sentiments are that anti-black racism no longer exists; it is only black paranoia or reverse racism where blacks are going after whites.

The tone in the Northern Virginia forum is extremely civilized and based on facts about the attacks. I would like the logic and temperament of the Virginia DC Suburbs to extend over into Maryland.
Homicides are committed by both blacks and whites and yes, there are still random assaults by whites on blacks in this country ; America's blacks are not bands of murderers seeking white prey. I think if the attitude of Northern Virginia's forum participants can permeate all of metropolitan DC/Baltimore we can get away from the "looking over my shoulder" mentality as a one way street and come together as an integrated community where every issue doesn't have a racial undercurrent.
On a personal note, this is exactly why I, as a black dude who doesn't feel obligated to loyality based on race, feel more comfortable in Northern VA than in either Maryland or DC. The tones of all three forums are definitely a good indication of the people who reside in their respective places. If you need proof of the racial strife in DC, look at the forums relating to crime and gentrification. In DC and most of the Maryland suburbs, race is THE determining factor on how you will be preceived, especially if you're black. In Northern VA, character (and I'll admit, income/class) for the most part will be the main determinant on how you will be seen. But the in-depth explanation is for another thread and another time.

As far as the main topic is concerned, hasn't the suspect (or at least a person of interest) been caught?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:00 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,357 times
Default Excellent Dialogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Nothing personal but this post is not helpful for dealing with violent crime... I hate hearing about "white" paranoia too but my ax grind is with the media who use AA males as a tool to scare people and gain ratings...
I have to disagree with the initial responder. I think this thread is very helpful. Just with the few responses made I have seen some of the most insightful dialogue ever about race relations and intellectualism made about DC metro on City-Data. For example, watching the news while here in Pittsburgh, they talked about the serial killer without once mentioning that the attacks were racially-motivated despite showing an interview with a surviving victim. Do you think it is important to mention the racial aspect of these crimes? Does that generate more animosity or does it show growth in media depictions of violent crime?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I have to disagree with the initial responder. I think this thread is very helpful. Just with the few responses made I have seen some of the most insightful dialogue ever about race relations and intellectualism made about DC metro on City-Data. For example, watching the news while here in Pittsburgh, they talked about the serial killer without once mentioning that the attacks were racially-motivated despite showing an interview with a surviving victim. Do you think it is important to mention the racial aspect of these crimes? Does that generate more animosity or does it show growth in media depictions of violent crime?

I hear ya...I believe this guy was arab or israeli. Sounds like he had real mental illness issues....Hey look the AA experience is tough. You know the deal the moment the placenta gets cut off but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I think the AA community is better served by being inclusive and tolerant of others and working to bring down barriers/walls. Let this guy fester and stew in his own ignorance, why should I have to live in it? I've met some wonderful people of all races and I just refuse to live my life in anger, resentment, fear over one idiot...

Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM

499 posts, read 667,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Nothing personal but this post is not helpful for dealing with violent crime. Obviously this guy has mental problems and will get his but to sit their and tally up who's killing who is insane. I hate hearing about "white" paranoia too but my ax grind is with the media who use AA males as a tool to scare people and gain ratings... and young AA males who chose violence/chaos/abandonment over honor/family/community and building legacy...the fears are honest and real and being brutally honest with myself could understand that giving the murder/violence rate DC has gone threw over the last 20-30 years....let's hope that with Fenty commitment to reforming the education system, real drug/law reforms, and financial empowerment in the AA community will help alleviate and change perceptions....whether real or imaginery...
Fenty? LOL.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 PM

499 posts, read 667,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
On a personal note, this is exactly why I, as a black dude who doesn't feel obligated to loyality based on race, feel more comfortable in Northern VA than in either Maryland or DC. The tones of all three forums are definitely a good indication of the people who reside in their respective places. If you need proof of the racial strife in DC, look at the forums relating to crime and gentrification. In DC and most of the Maryland suburbs, race is THE determining factor on how you will be preceived, especially if you're black. In Northern VA, character (and I'll admit, income/class) for the most part will be the main determinant on how you will be seen. But the in-depth explanation is for another thread and another time.

As far as the main topic is concerned, hasn't the suspect (or at least a person of interest) been caught?

Umm...that's because you're the odd man out if you are black there. With a place like Fairfax that has less than 8% Black population compared to Montgomery and Prince George's that are in the double digits what do you think the discussion will be?

I often read the proverbial anecdotal evidence from some posters that goes like this, "where I came from blah blah blah, I never heard blacks say such 'racist' thing about white people ".

First off when did the oppressed become the oppressor?

Second where did you come from, Boston, Denver, San Fransisco? Those places don't have the black population on the level of the D.C. area (San Fran is almost 0%!!!) and certainly not a concentration of blacks with such a high level of education and achievement.

Just call it culture shock.

The problem is that where people have come from is equal to homogeneity and does not come near the level of Blacks or diversity within that group. D.C. is a totally different beast than the mid west, Boston or Cali. There's a large and very knowledgeable group of blacks here.

I know someone from Denver who poked fun at how people seem to think people in Denver are "nice". He noted its only because they're not out of their element. He said if Denver was as diverse as D.C. it would be a whole different story and the truth would come out.

Never before have non-blacks reach such a level of achievement, to some it's a bit threatening so there's some "clash". Perhaps some people calling blacks in the DC area "racists" are actually realizing something about themselves, that what they considered OK to think or say back from where they came from actually isn't.

As for the original post the guy was a serial killer and all his victims were black, why the hell are we going to gloss over that?

I just don't understand why people are so afraid of discussing the truth and want everything sugar coated for them, no matter how "messy" it may be, it is what it is and we're all better off when we face it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland