Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 AM

13 posts, read 32,972 times

Advertisements

meatkins, do you mind posting a link to the map you mentioned? The only thing I see on the Washington Post page is from CrimeReports.com and from my previous research PG County doesn't report crime to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melundie View Post
meatkins, do you mind posting a link to the map you mentioned? The only thing I see on the Washington Post page is from CrimeReports.com and from my previous research PG County doesn't report crime to them.
Washington Post changed their crime maps since the time that I was researching. It used to be a map that would list the crime and the date and time, but like you said Crimereport maps don't do it. My suggestion would be to check out the Weekly Crime Report they post in the PG section of the Post. It's not a map but the maps they used were based on the data from these.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 AM

321 posts, read 1,125,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melundie View Post
Are there any particular zip codes in Bowie to avoid?
There aren't really any "bad" neighborhoods or areas to avoid. That being said, some parts of the city do experience more crime than others. There have been a few shootings over the past few months, but violent crime (shootings, stabbings, assaults etc) are rare for the most part - the city averages about 1-2 murders a year. When something like that does happen, its not confined to one particular part of the city, there are no neighborhoods in Bowie where things like that happen on a regular basis.

Robberies, particularly commercial armed robberies, have been a problem though. Someone already mentioned the Old Annapolis Rd/Church Rd area. That Shell station on the corner there seems like it gets robbed every week. It's strange though because thats not a bad neighborhood, and there are other businesses over there, so I'm not sure why that specific gas station is always targeted. http://www.gazette.net/stories/10202...2845_32536.phpApparently the suspects in the 2 most recent robberies there have been arrested, so hopefully that might deter future incidents from happening there. The only other area that I can think of where robberies are a problem is the Bowie Town Center/Mitchellville Rd/Allen Pond area. Most of the retail in the city is in that area, so more things like that tend to happen over there.

The Bowie Police Department keeps a log on their website of crime reports, so you can get an idea of where things are happening.

Police Department- Monthly Crime Reports (http://www.cityofbowie.org/Government/Police/monthly_reports.asp - broken link)

Police Department- Unusual Reports (http://www.cityofbowie.org/Government/Police/unusual_list.asp - broken link)

Keep in mind that those reports only cover the City of Bowie, so other unincorporated areas that use Bowie mailing addresses (Glenn Dale, Mitchellville, Woodmore, Fairwood, Lake Arbor, etc) won't be listed on there. Those areas also aren't covered by Bowie public schools, which in general tend to be alot better than the rest of the county. I've lived here for almost 20 years, so if you have any questions, I'll try to help.

Last edited by PGC301; 10-24-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland