Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 35,788 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recommendations/comments/experiences to share regarding switching to Verizon Fios from Comcast and also using a pre-existing ADT alarm service? The last time I asked Verizon a year ago they said they cannot leave the copper wire. Then later I read an article that said they are allowing you to keep it now. Then I looked into signing up online and the fine print said "be aware that your copper line will be cut". So needless to say I am confused. Does anyone know the real deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:21 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
I switched from Comcast to FIOS and its been great. The installer was very professional. They didn't cut the copper wire. They just disconnected it. It can be reconnected later if I move or want to stop service. I just get phone service through the Fiber optics now.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM

20 posts, read 35,788 times
Thanks for the input. I am specifically most interested in how ADT service is working with Fios and if anyone has the copper still connected to ADT but has FIOS.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 PM

311 posts, read 1,386,197 times
A fios installer told me that if you stick to your guns, they will let you keep the copper wire. That being said, my co-worker has fios with ADT and it works fine. Can't remember if they kept their copper or not but will ask if you like.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 AM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
As others have noted, you can keep your Verizon copper. You just have to insist upon it. Inform Verizon that you will reject their FiOS service if they will not allow you to retain the existing copper line. I did this when I signed up for FiOS - some two years ago. It was intentional. I didn't want my security system relying on a battery backed-up phone line that, in power outages, only delivered a few minutes uptime. My copper-based land line is always available, be it during power outages, storms, etc.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 PM

29 posts, read 85,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
As others have noted, you can keep your Verizon copper. You just have to insist upon it. Inform Verizon that you will reject their FiOS service if they will not allow you to retain the existing copper line. I did this when I signed up for FiOS - some two years ago. It was intentional. I didn't want my security system relying on a battery backed-up phone line that, in power outages, only delivered a few minutes uptime. My copper-based land line is always available, be it during power outages, storms, etc.

This is a major drawback to the FIOS phone. This is also IMO a life safety issue. What are you going to do when the house is on fire, the power is down, can't find the cellphone through the smoke, you're trapped in your bedroom, and the FIOS phone is dead.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2956 View Post
This is a major drawback to the FIOS phone. This is also IMO a life safety issue. What are you going to do when the house is on fire, the power is down, can't find the cellphone through the smoke, you're trapped in your bedroom, and the FIOS phone is dead.
Just to clarify that this is not a FiOS issue - but a VoIP issue. Traditional phone lines provide it's own power, VoIP (or all Internet based perihperals) do not. So even if you don't have FiOS, using any VoIP based service (vonage, magic jack, etc.) will be impacted by a power loss.

And most likely, the reason that VZ is insisting on this is cost. My guess is that they are looking to phase out their residential analog services where there is FiOS. And from a business stand point, it may make sense. However, I think if a customer insists, they'll probably back off (as indicated by others).

Of course, you can't have both though (VoIP and analog line), unless you have separate sets of phone lines.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I got FiOS back in '05 and while I'm not sure if they kept the copper or not, ADT still works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland