Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 18,258 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Silver Spring near the Metro and I walk to work.
But we are buying a home in Bowie and will be moving in mid October. We chose Bowie because the job is moving there, most likely in November. So I need to find out the easiest way to commute between my new home and the current office.

The new house is near Bowie Town Center; I can drive to or have my husband drop me off at a bus stop or train station. My office hours are the basic 8-5/M-F and I have a little flexibility so long as I get my full day in. So how do I figure out public transit? I could drive to New Carrolton, but I'm wondering if I can take a bus from Bowie. Or maybe MARC is handier? What's the best way?

thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:43 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
I commute from the Annapolis area to Downtown Silver Spring every day and have explored just about every driving and transit route possible.

First off, you don’t want to do Metro from New Carrolton. That is a very long and painful ride. It’s like three trains and at least an hour and a half on the trains alone.

If you want to do transit, your best bet is probably driving to the Greenbelt Metro and taking the Green line to the Red Line. US-50 WB is really not bad, it’s rarely more than a ten minute delay and the beltway usually moves ok till about College Park, just north of the Greenbelt exit. It would take about 20-30 minutes from Bowie Town Center to Greenbelt and another 15-20 to get to Silver Spring via Metro.

I also will take the commuter bus from Annapolis to Downtown DC, walk to union station and catch the red line to Union Station which really isn’t bad, only a bit longer than driving, but I don't know if there is an express bus to union station from that area.

I don’t think taking MARC from Bowie State would work too well because by the time you drive to northern Bowie, park and wait for a train, and then take Metro to Silver Spring, you have to be looking at 2 plus hours.

If you want to drive, I have found that if the ITS signs say it’s over 20 minutes from Greenbelt to 270, than it’s faster to jump off the beltway and take surface streets through College Park and Langley Park to Silver Spring. Just exit Route 1. If you take the Beltway to Colesville (Rt 29), it could take ten minutes or 45 minutes to get from 95 to 29, but once on 29, you can really get into SS fast using the reversible lanes.

Basically you are looking at about an hour drive from Bowie to Silver Spring if you drive it and probably an hour and 15 minutes if you drive halfway and take Metro from Greenbelt, but at least you miss most of the real heavy traffic that way.

Good luck, and enjoy your commute when your job moves close to your home, that must be nice!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:04 AM

KCMO - thanks for the information! I hadn't thought about parking at Greenbelt, but it does make more sense. My Silver Spring workplace is near the Discovery Building and the traffic is very congested, plus I drive a full size pickup (leftover from when we lived in farmland out west), so if I can avoid having to park that thing in a cramped garage that is great.

One more question - how would I find out about getting a reserved parking space at the Greenbelt Metro? The page says reserved spots are "available" - not sure if that means there is no waiting list or just that there are reserved spots. With any luck, I will only need to do that particular commute for 6 weeks, so it may not be worth getting on a list.

Thanks again!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalie08 View Post
KCMO - thanks for the information! I hadn't thought about parking at Greenbelt, but it does make more sense. My Silver Spring workplace is near the Discovery Building and the traffic is very congested, plus I drive a full size pickup (leftover from when we lived in farmland out west), so if I can avoid having to park that thing in a cramped garage that is great.

One more question - how would I find out about getting a reserved parking space at the Greenbelt Metro? The page says reserved spots are "available" - not sure if that means there is no waiting list or just that there are reserved spots. With any luck, I will only need to do that particular commute for 6 weeks, so it may not be worth getting on a list.

Thanks again!
I can't imagine driving a large truck in downtown silver spring .

Parking at Greenbelt is not a problem. It gets to about 95% full, but there are always spots near the entrance. It's just a bit of a haul to the platform so if there is some physical reason you need closer parking, then you will have to look into the reserved parking, just call metro.

Greenbelt works quite well, you avoid most of the very heavy congestion that way from Bowie.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Great, thanks! Yes, the big truck is mostly parked unless we are going a fair distance Definitely not a city beast! But it will come in handy once we get out of downtown.

I agree, it looks like parking at the Greenbelt metro will solve a lot of traffic problems for me.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 10,174 times
I live in Bowie and work in Silver Spring Metro Plaza. I am looking for carpool so I can save some gas and Parking money. My hours are M-F 8-4. If any one can match these hours,please contact me thru this message.
Thanks.PV

Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 10,174 times
I live in Bowie and work in Silver Spring Metro Plaza. I am looking for carpool so I can save some gas and Parking in the garage. My hours are M-F 8-4. If any one can match these hours,please contact me thru this message.
Thanks.PV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland