Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 PM

12 posts, read 17,696 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer and im looking to relocate to the DC area. Im a 23 year old male from south jersey and want somewhere that feels like home. I dont like city life but the suburbs would be great. Im not going to be making alot of money (under 50k) but reasonable for an entry position, so the cheaper the better. Im also in 100k of student loan debt. But the job is an excellent opportunity with plenty of room to grow.

My ideal place would be:
Safe (dont want me or my g/f in harms way)
Low on crime (i have a summer/weekend car dont want it vandalized)
Priced reasonably under $1200 if possible
Decent commute back to NJ for weekends

Ill be working in DC across from Alexandria, VA

I was told to stay out of Oxan Hill area...

I was looking at Waldrof,MD but have heard mixed things.

Ive heard great things about Annapolis but the commute would be a little far.

Ill be going down tomorrow and staying at a friends in St. Michales to look at a few areas just to scope it out a little better.

Any suggestions???? Ideas of where to live would be great. Id like to stay under an hour commute. I understand the farther i commute the cheaper places i will find.

Ive been looking on craigslist, any other places to look?

Last edited by Adam95GT; 10-07-2010 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times
Look at the Metro Map. Take your pick of any of the places along the last 4-5 stops of the Red, Green (the north stops to Greenbelt, not the south stops to branch) and Orange lines (the VA part). They're all safe, and you have your options of PG, VA and Montgomery County there too.

I say end as once you are looking in the central stops there is a price difference and it will be out of your range.

YOu didn't say what kind of place you're looking for. YOu're 23, do you want a house (out of the question at $1200), an apartment (you won't get a nice 2BDR unless you're ok with a studio or 1BDR or basement or group house.

No reason for Waldorf or Annapolis, there is simply no reason to live that far unless there are particular reasons you want to be that far out. Be Metro accessible.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 AM

200 posts, read 620,142 times
Just get a rental, then you have a year to get used to the area and figure out where you really want to live. When you visit, get an apartment guide book in the front of a supermarket. Pick an area with a large selection of newer, nicer apartments to start with. And I totally agree with sticking with Metro for a little while, at least.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
Just get a rental, then you have a year to get used to the area and figure out where you really want to live. When you visit, get an apartment guide book in the front of a supermarket. Pick an area with a large selection of newer, nicer apartments to start with. And I totally agree with sticking with Metro for a little while, at least.

Im really against city living and the metro just reminds me of the city. I like living out in the woods...

I was paying $925 + utilitys for a place up here. 2br.

Id like to stay in a 2br. Just to have room for a roommate if needed. However it would be really odd for me to pick up a roommate i dont know.

Im defiantly going for a rental for at least a few years. Then if i really dont like the area im only there for a year.

1br-2br would be great. I know that here the extra bedroom is only about another $50 a month. I have alot of furniture so i think a studio is out of the question.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM

49 posts, read 162,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam95GT View Post
Im really against city living and the metro just reminds me of the city. I like living out in the woods...

Id like to stay in a 2br. Just to have room for a roommate if needed. However it would be really odd for me to pick up a roommate i dont know.

Im defiantly going for a rental for at least a few years. Then if i really dont like the area im only there for a year.

1br-2br would be great. I know that here the extra bedroom is only about another $50 a month. I have alot of furniture so i think a studio is out of the question.
try southern ann arundel county and north calvert county. both will give you quick access to DC via Route 4/Suitland Parkway. If you want to be more rural than city/suburban, those areas are your best bets.

Try also an area called North Beach. You can rent cape-cod style houses there and be pretty close to the water, too.

You could try the area around Upper Marlboro, in PG County. but any closer to dc than that, and you're getting more suburban/city.

good luck.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:28 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times
Quote:

Even in Southeast DC you won't find that.

Given that you're working near Alexandria, something will have to give, especially if you only want an hour or less commute.

Trust me you don't want to drive to work in DC.

Do you consider suburbs "city"?

Old 10-09-2010, 04:55 PM

41 posts, read 56,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

Given that you're working near Alexandria, something will have to give, especially if you only want an hour or less commute.

theres plenty of places in southeast that rent for that price for a 2 bedroom kakorot!!!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

Parking wont be an issue. Im looking at Annapolis. Found a 1br on the water for $1127 a month.

I looked in the silver spring/green belt area and didnt like what i saw.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:41 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,532 times
Quote:
Parking wont be an issue. Im looking at Annapolis. Found a 1br on the water for $1127 a month.

I looked in the silver spring/green belt area and didnt like what i saw.
I'm not sure you understand the commute you'd be getting yourself into. Annapolis to Alexandria is easily 1.5 hours each way in rush hour.

Silver Spring is fine but I wouldn't move onto the Green line as superseiyan recommended. My boyfriend lived in Hyattsville and had his house broken into, had a drive by shooting that killed 2 a few blocks away and most recently there was a teenager stabbed to death at a park 5 blocks from his old house.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
Ill be working in DC across from Alexandria, VA

I hope you like your car, you're looking at a terrible commute.

Why aren't you considering parts of VA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland