Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,031 times

Advertisements

My husband recently accepted a position at the PAX Navy Base. We are relocating from Birmingham, AL and I need advice from people who have lived in the area. Are the schools better in Leonardtown or in Calvert County? My internet searches for real estate in St. Mary's County lead me to believe that the high schools in Leonardtown are the best??? I have a 14 y.o. that is in middle school this year and starting HS next year. I need advice on desirable areas to live in... we are looking to buy a house in the mid 200 range immediately. The commute needs to be tolerable to the Base. I will be working, too, but don't know where yet. I might have to commute somewhere as I am a legal secretary and don't really know how the job market is near and around the Base. Please help! I need as much advice that you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:18 AM

54 posts, read 113,191 times
Default Re: Moving to PAX River

If you are looking to staying in the area around PAX River, I would suggest the Leonardtown or Lusby area (in calvert county). These two areas have better schools. Lusby is also much more affordable than Leonardtown.

I never gone to school down there nor have my children but out of the whole Southern Maryland area (Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's Counties), the schools around Lexington Park are some of the worst.

Calvert County has better schools then the other two counties. They seem to work with the parents more if their children need a different teaching strategy due to ADHD or other learning disabilities. Charles is not so bad. My children attend school in charles county and so far, I have not had too many problems.

Also as for jobs- you may have some trouble finding a job down there in the legal field. I also work in the legal field and the closest I could find was in Upper Marlboro which is about an hour from Lexington Park or Lusby. I've had coworkers in the past who still make that drive from Lusby to Upper Marlboro. I no longer work for the same office but now my commute is even longer- Alexandria VA.

There aren't alot of jobs in the administrive/legal/clerical area down there and when they do post, it is highly competitive. Even in Waldorf. So be prepared that it may take some time. Also most of the jobs in Southern Maryland in this field do not pay alot. The majority of the people commute into or around DC.

Last edited by insthrnmd; 10-23-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,031 times
thank you so much for the reply. that helps.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 PM

834 posts, read 2,815,976 times
You can get TONS of information on that exact question, by clicking on these links

Life in Southern Maryland - Southern Maryland Community Forums

and Southern Maryland Onlineâ„¢ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.â„¢

Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 AM

40 posts, read 140,540 times
Recommend researching the following before you purchase or lease a home:

Schools
Maryland Schools - Public & Private Schools (MD)

Crime Rate:
St Mary's County, MD Crime Map - Showing Crimes in St Mary's County - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Sex Offenders (Enter Address)
National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog

Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 PM

25 posts, read 81,131 times
I recommend the California and Leonardtown area for schools. We have friends whose children go to Great Mills High School and the stories the kids come home with...they'd keep you up at night. If you live in St. Mary's County, your commute to work will be no problem. Living in Lusby or anywhere in Calvert County, you'll have a long line of bridge traffic to deal with when the base lets out (even though they try to stagger the mass exit from the base). We live in Wildewood and the neighborhood is great, very bike and walker friendly, neighborhood pool and soccer fields and it's part of the Leonardtown high school district. Also even in a lousy real estate market the houses are selling in Wildewood in about 9 weeks (per a real estate agent) so when it's time to transfer again..... If you are military, try to get the family Tri-cared out of the base "clinic". Getting an appointment takes an act of God. Best of luck and welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland