Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 24,617 times

Advertisements

We're being sent to Andrews Air Force Base this summer, and need to find a community to call home. I know the local area is not great and after reading the post "Affluence of PG County" I definitely do not want to live in PG county. We love Northern VA, or Howard County, MD. We are an interracial family and do not want to be in any heavily populated area for reasons posted in other threads. Even Bowie is a stretch. But we're open to you resident expert opinions.

Quality of schools are a critical factor! We have school age children: one in elementary and one will be in middle school. The school districts will drive where we settle. I love Howard County, but I think that is too far to commute. What do you experts think? From my research, I know that Fairfax County has the best schools with the most funding of any district. But getting across the WW bridge in time for work can be a nightmare. And Andrews AFB does not have access to public transportation. WE NEED HELP!!!! Please, we're all ears to the resident experts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 09:00 AM

31 posts, read 213,150 times
Default where to live

Bowie is probably doable or Anne Arundel County (don't know about schiils).
If you come down 495 in the morning toward Andrews from the Bowie area, that's not as bad as heading N toward 95. That's where it gets BAD.
I'd rent first so you can see what the commute is like and what you're willing to do.

Tabitha

Old 03-23-2007, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 24,617 times
Thanks Tabitha for the advice. I want to clarify that I meant to say in my original post "Andrews Air Force Base ... If not PG County, where?" that we want a demographic mix, not heavily populated with one race or culture. Of course, anywhere in the DC metro area is going to be heavily populated, but having a balance of people from different backgrounds is refreshing. This site is great and I'm digging to find more info on schools in the area.

Does anyone know if there is a commuters website or exchange? In looking at various communities, I'm trying to determine how great the commute or the type of commute it will be. For example, from Howard County to Andrews Air Force Base.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM

135 posts, read 605,914 times
Default your on the right path

You have done well grasshopper! Columbia will be a great choice too! Your best bet to get info on carpools and such will be the builletin boards and the Recreation and Welfare Association commonly referred to as the R and W at the base. That commute will require a commitment from you to go early.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,218 times
Probably wouldn't hurt to look at Calvert county. It is about 15 to 20 minutes south of Andrews on Rt 4. Good schools and not really crowded (yet). Low crime and on the Chesapeake Bay. Might want to check it out.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:53 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
As far as Fairfax vs. Howard counties go, one thing you should realize is the fact that schools in the eastern sections of Fairfax County (i.e. those with the "easiest" commutes to AAF) are generally the worst in the system. That's not to say they're bad per se, but within the Fairfax County Public School system, these are not the best regarded schools, so if you're leaning towards Fairfax over Howard solely for the schools, I think the fact of the matter is that Howard County will provide just as good, more likely better, schools within the same commute that Fairfax will offer.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:34 PM

31 posts, read 213,150 times
Default Columbia

I would not commute from Columbia to Andrews. I live a few exits up from the base and was freelancing in Columbia. It wasn't a short trip (not the worst around) but I only would go if I could miss rush hour. That would suck in rush hour.
Tabitha

Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Wow it seems wherever you live it will be a long commute if you choose to live outside the county.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 AM

471 posts, read 1,829,880 times
Default i agree with Ex-Ithacan

Calvert County is the most overlooked as far as living. It's more than fairly decent, and from what I remember still more affordable and safe than PG County. Going to VA period will give you the blues commuting.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:35 PM

165 posts, read 926,073 times
Default Andrews Air Force Base ... If not PG County, where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Probably wouldn't hurt to look at Calvert county. It is about 15 to 20 minutes south of Andrews on Rt 4. Good schools and not really crowded (yet). Low crime and on the Chesapeake Bay. Might want to check it out.
I can't recommend Calvert County highly enough...

I report to Andrews AFB as a reservist from my new home, which that commute sucks but had I not had to move for my work I'd be on easy street in regards to getting to Andrews. Andrews AFB is pretty NEAR the Green Metro line to get to various places in the area via train. You still need a car to go park at the garage, etc. For me I found it more convenient to 'control my own destiny' and just drive in on most cases.

My former home (about 5 years old now) is in Huntingtown, MD and it was with traffic on a slow day about 40 minutes south of Andrews AFB in Calvert County. The trip is down Route 4, lots of trees where I could think and 'get away from it all'. You're still about an hour from DC or Annapolis if you ever want to go get into the city hustle and bustle but you're far enough away to be left alone.

Feel free to do some research on the neighborhoods. The one I lived in is called Marley Run and I had wonderful neighbors, it was safe and the schools were listed as Blue Ribbon. This may seem inappropriate to some but I had African American neighbors on one side (pastor and a nurse), a Caucasian Doctor and his Louisiana Cajun wife on the other side and my wife and I (Spanish decent) we jokingly called our three houses the "Ghetto" of the neighborhood. There's many people from many backgrounds there, different races and religions. Several members in the community are Jewish, Catholic, Baptist...hell we even have some mormons there.

In my travels in this Maryland forum I consistently see Howard, Calvert and Carroll county as being reported as the top three in Maryland for schools and great places to live...even though Montgomery County usually is known for higher incomes. In addition to the public schools there and the new Huntingtown High School there's several top notch private schools (e.g. Calverton, Montesori <i always spell that wrong>, etc...).

I can't post weblinks but I will send a private message regarding the types of homes in Calvert County which I think were awesome and if you were looking at Howard County then there shouldn't be much of a sticker shock due to the many parrallels between the two.

Homes in Calvert have really grown in equity and maintained their value even after the housing market "slump".

Good luck in your home search...

Last edited by teleblazer; 03-27-2007 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland