Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 10:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,243,891 times

Advertisements

Great comments from OP's; I realize we must spend more for housing, which is doable if we can get by with one car- Our last move DH and I ended up in a totally dead suburb and do not want to repeat the mistake. 20 years ago it would have been a great place to raise the family, but at our age we are bored to tears~ the nearest town with decent nightlife is a 45 minute drive, so even when we do go for a night out, we must be very cautious about alcohol consumption. We crave a walk to the local coffee shop, a friendly chat with neighbors, a walk to the the store, a little park, and choices for bars & eateries within at least a reasonable cab ride.

We are soon moving again- his job will be in Rockville and I will telecommute mostly, with some travel to north and northwest MD. He prefers the train and if we can get by with one car we can spend more on housing- can anyone, please, suggest an area that combines a walkable, alive downtown area with a reasonable train commute to Rockville ( Research Blvd) ? We have raised our family- not really so interested in "family friendly" but do, of course, want a reasonably safe area.

Ideas, anyone???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM

396 posts, read 1,102,405 times
Some suggestions...but I do not know how much they will cost...

-Downtown Rockville, Rockville Town Center area. Right across the street from the Rockville metro, and there is a pedestrian bridge going over the very busy Route 355/ Rockville Pike

-Downtown Bethesda

-King Farm development in Rockville: does not have active downtown or anything, but is walkable and does have some shops. A planned urban community in suburbia. Not far from Shady Grove metro or Research Blvd. Same with the Rio development in Gaithersburg/Rockville and Kentlands in Gaithersburg. Not really downtowns, but do have restaurants, businesses and shops. Not sure how many rentals are in each area. May need a realtor to help find condos being rented by owners.

-Downtown Silver Spring. May be more affordable than some of the other options, but further away from Research Dr. and a longer metro ride.

-areas around Twinbrook metro in Rockville. Not as walkable to me, but it depends on what you consider "walkable." I see people walking to the shopping center across Rockville Pike all the time, but it a high car traffic area.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM

688 posts, read 1,243,891 times
Thanks- I have someone looking at Kentlands and King Farm for me- worried about it being kinda "disneyfied" , anything specific in dwntwn SS or Rockville Town Center? Can you , or anyone, tell me a little more about these areas?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,520 times
Default downtown Silver Spring

Have you ever been to downtown SS? There is a nice few blocks there with restuarants,shops,etc. And there are a few very nice upscale apartment building there. BUT if you walk a few blocks away you will encounter the real SS. This area has tried for years to rebuil and attract more decent middle class folks. Unfortunately it has not worked. I would not move there if you gave me a place to live for free. It is an unsavory and unsafe place to live. Do yourself a favor and go down there one night and drive around. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland