Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:59 PM

236 posts, read 595,320 times

Advertisements

My question is; Is cost of living really that much more expensive in Maryland/DC like everyone is leading me to believe?

Here's my scenario;

i currently live in Pittsburgh, PA. Just got back from a 2nd interview for a pretty good position in Landover, MD. I have a pretty good feeling about it.

I was actually close to not even going to the interview because of how much I had been hearing about the cost of living in MD/DC.

The job pays between 65-80k to start with great benefits and annual raises. I'm married with a 10 yr old. My wife is a RN who currently makes about 70k in Pittsburgh, if we do move, whatever hospital she transfers to will adjust her pay to the going rate in DC or Maryland. So we will be probably earning around 130k as a household.

Now can we live comfortably on that amount?

We would like to eventually buy at least a 3 bedroom/2 bath house in suburb type neighborhood in the PG/Montgomery County area. We might rent first just to get a feel for the area.

How much can we expect to spend on homes like that, buying and renting?

Is traffic as bad in DC as it is in MD?

My wife is also going to back to school in year, so for at least 2 yrs, we would have to live entirely almost on my income, is this possible?

Feel free to answer whichever questions u want to.

I just have no idea if I even want this job because of the constant reminder of the cost of living issue.

Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 07:23 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Yes the cost of living will be higher than what you have in Pittsburgh.
Yes the DC traffic is as bad as MD, they're connected.
Your salary will not give you the lifestyle of Pittsburgh here.
Mrs. NBP and I gross $170K and could not afford the house we bought 23 years ago (which we still live in) if we wanted it today.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times
I agree with North Beach's post. My wife and I make around 135K and we just bought a house in P.G. for about 325K A bit more than I want to pay but that is considered cheap for living in Upper Marlboro. Also the same house I just got, would easily run 450K on up in Montgomery County. I like Montgomery county though. Very diverse and public schools are better than P.G.

Just ask yourself a couple of questions. Are you trying to advance in your career? Tired of Pittsburgh? or Your intrigued with the money offered. If u answered yes to the last question then I would tell you this. Stay in Pittsburgh. You get a whole lot more home and less traffic and generally more friendly where your at.

I guess I advise it because this area can sometimes wear on you. I guess since I've been here a good portion of my life in this area, I sense change is in order for me. Anyway If you've answered yes to Questions 1 and 2 then welcome. Make the money, learn all you can and get out of here.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
I agree with North Beach's post. My wife and I make around 135K and we just bought a house in P.G. for about 325K A bit more than I want to pay but that is considered cheap for living in Upper Marlboro. Also the same house I just got, would easily run 450K on up in Montgomery County. I like Montgomery county though. Very diverse and public schools are better than P.G.

Just ask yourself a couple of questions. Are you trying to advance in your career? Tired of Pittsburgh? or Your intrigued with the money offered. If u answered yes to the last question then I would tell you this. Stay in Pittsburgh. You get a whole lot more home and less traffic and generally more friendly where your at.

I guess I advise it because this area can sometimes wear on you. I guess since I've been here a good portion of my life in this area, I sense change is in order for me. Anyway If you've answered yes to Questions 1 and 2 then welcome. Make the money, learn all you can and get out of here.
I really am tired of Pittsburgh and would like to advance in my career. But this high cost of living issue is reall deterring me and even making me think twice about accepting the job, if offered.

What areas would make sense to live that are close to both Landover, MD and Washington DC that would have lower costs than living in PG and Montgomery County? If there are any?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Depends on your lifestyle. Our household makes just under $100k a year. We are doing fine. If you don't need a McMansion and a new BMW, you will be good. I've looked at realtor listings and have seen some decent houses (maybe not brand new) for under $300,000 (of course, I've kept my search to the Laurel area). The house next to us -- a 1890's Victorian -- is selling for $124,000. It's a solid house with updated kitchen and 3 full baths but the floors are a little off kilter (original wood flooring) It also has a full finished basement (with a second kitchen I think) and a large yard.

However, traffic is a bear all throughout this area. My 14 mile commute to work can take from 15 minutes (on a Saturday) to over 1-1/2 hours on a rainy week day. Also, if you choose to live in PG County, schools may be a concern and you may opt for private school which would be a major expense. My kids went through the PG system but they went to one of the highly rated magnet schools.

It seriously just depends on what type of home you want -- how big, how old, and what neighborhood. Otherwise, the only other cost (besides housing) that may be higher than Pittsburgh is car insurance. (Well, probably taxes too.)

Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Depends on your lifestyle. Our household makes just under $100k a year. We are doing fine. If you don't need a McMansion and a new BMW, you will be good. I've looked at realtor listings and have seen some decent houses (maybe not brand new) for under $300,000 (of course, I've kept my search to the Laurel area). The house next to us -- a 1890's Victorian -- is selling for $124,000. It's a solid house with updated kitchen and 3 full baths but the floors are a little off kilter (original wood flooring) It also has a full finished basement (with a second kitchen I think) and a large yard.

However, traffic is a bear all throughout this area. My 14 mile commute to work can take from 15 minutes (on a Saturday) to over 1-1/2 hours on a rainy week day. Also, if you choose to live in PG County, schools may be a concern and you may opt for private school which would be a major expense. My kids went through the PG system but they went to one of the highly rated magnet schools.

It seriously just depends on what type of home you want -- how big, how old, and what neighborhood. Otherwise, the only other cost (besides housing) that may be higher than Pittsburgh is car insurance. (Well, probably taxes too.)
14 miles=1.5 hours.. WOW!!!

We are a fairly young couple, in our mid to late 20's. So right now, we don't really need a huge home for our first house. We don't live a lavish life by any means. But we do want to be comfortable. The traffic is another issue that I'm worried about, but its not at the top of my list of worries.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. 1-1/2 hours is the extreme case, lol. Normal commute for me is just about 1/2 hour. But there are those random extremes. But seriously, look at the realtor sites. There is plenty of housing for below $300,000. It really depends on where you want to live. Narrow down an area and then come back here with questions about those areas. You will get an earful of either how terrible it is or how great it is. If it is PG, be prepared to hear how terrible it is (even if its not). I live in PG and have for my whole life. I have survived, as have all my family, friends and neighbors. I'll assume you have already heard of the bad rep PG has. FYI, Bowie is a great place to start for a house-hunt.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. 1-1/2 hours is the extreme case, lol. Normal commute for me is just about 1/2 hour. But there are those random extremes. But seriously, look at the realtor sites. There is plenty of housing for below $300,000. It really depends on where you want to live. Narrow down an area and then come back here with questions about those areas. You will get an earful of either how terrible it is or how great it is. If it is PG, be prepared to hear how terrible it is (even if its not). I live in PG and have for my whole life. I have survived, as have all my family, friends and neighbors. I'll assume you have already heard of the bad rep PG has. FYI, Bowie is a great place to start for a house-hunt.
Will do.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 AM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times
My friend I believe that you can live a decent life in P.G. Again I will tag along with the other poster, P.G. is a predominately black county. So often times we get a lot of negative slack for that fact. There are however plenty of nice communites in P.G. Mitchelleville, Upper Marlboro, Laurel, parts of Greenbelt, Lanham, Beltsville, Bowie also Clinton as well. Let of townhouse are going for well under 300K. So take your pick, be prepared for the negativity that will follow and take a visit to see if P.G. is right for you.

Have fun my friend in another chapter in your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
Will do.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
My friend I believe that you can live a decent life in P.G. Again I will tag along with the other poster, P.G. is a predominately black county. So often times we get a lot of negative slack for that fact. There are however plenty of nice communites in P.G. Mitchelleville, Upper Marlboro, Laurel, parts of Greenbelt, Lanham, Beltsville, Bowie also Clinton as well. Let of townhouse are going for well under 300K. So take your pick, be prepared for the negativity that will follow and take a visit to see if P.G. is right for you.

Have fun my friend in another chapter in your life.

Thanks for the input. I do want to avoid townhouses if I can. A single family home for 300k or a little under would be what I would look for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland