U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,311 times

Advertisements

I recently met a homebuilder from Oregon who -- out of work for several years and on the verge of losing his own home -- moved to the DC area when he found temp work as a contractor/handyman at a local military base. He's kind of a modern day Okie, as I see it. One of the ironies is that he's a shrink-the-government fiscal conservative in spite of the fact that it's the government contract that is sustaining him for the time being.

I'm thinking about writing an article about this man and wondering if there are many more like him. Are out-of-work individuals from other parts of the U.S. moving to D.C. or elsewhere for work opportunities? In what fields? Any statistical evidence you know of?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 PM

396 posts, read 1,057,119 times
Yes. We moved here for my husband to take a federal job--the private sector considered him "too old" (in his late 40s) for someone with a science degree. Most of the fellow hires at his agency were right out of school, though--not in the same situation.

We are not "shrink the government" supporters--would have gone to work for the feds earlier, but it was shrinking under Clinton back then too. We would have preferred not to move to the DC / MD area--however most of his job offers were here.

I know of one friend of a friend--a building contractor who basically lives in DC to work and goes back home on weekends--so that he can have a job.

Many relatives are "shrink the government" conservatives and, ironically, several are federal retirees who have not thought about the effect this stance could have on their pensions and health care benefits. Or, the impact on the economy where they live. They don't live in DC, and don't really stay informed about what might be cut, etc... It seems that many folks want government cut, but not the part that affects them!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 PM

57 posts, read 166,670 times
Yes. My wife and I moved last year from Ohio, where they had not only no jobs, but no jobs on the horizon for PhD graduates. We like it here but would be happy also in dozens of other places. Housing cost is one reason why we are thinking of leaving, as she doesn't make a boatload of money together a decent place here. I think that's one misconception people have about the DC Metro area: We are all overpaid wonks who have waaaay too much money - but for us it's just not true. She makes a modest income and I do not have a 'cost of living' increase with my job, so the two of us, while living comfortably can't afford to do much or buy too many things. I think in the next 5-10 years we will move out and take her experience with us to a different venue.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 AM

May I contact you by telephone to learn a few more details? Exactly what fields do you and your wife work in? Were you out of work prior to moving to DC? Which agencies do you work with now. But I really want more, which I think will come out if we can talk. If you're willing please email me writesaroni@writesaroni.com with a good phone number and a good time to call.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:32 AM

May I contact you by telephone to learn a few more details? Exactly what field does your husband work in? Were you out of work prior to moving to DC? Which agency does he work with now? But I really want more, which I think will come out if we can talk. If you're willing please email me writesaroni@writesaroni.com with a good phone number and a good time to call.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 AM

200 posts, read 579,720 times
Sounds like another pointless fluff article to me. No different than interviewing drivers at a gas station when fuel prices go up. Duh. No wonder newspapers are folding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland