Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 PM

175 posts, read 651,211 times

Advertisements

It's probably high in crime because it's off of branch av. (which by the SE DC area is pretty ghetto) i don't go down there much but it is a very diverse area, it's not that bad, but it's by some shady areas, (upper M.) etc (no offense to anyone). brandywine is even better yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM

49 posts, read 215,062 times
Hotmamma2009---

Racism is everywhere, even in the best and not so best neighborhoods. It's not the city or the area itself, but the people in general that promote the racism. Do not guide yourself by the information that you find online. Some if it is not very accurate. I do know that PG County has a bad reputation compared to the other counties and I have read that La Plata is a place where there are many hispanics, which makes it a little less attrative to the rest of the American's, but honestly, I don't see much of a problem with either areas.

Is it possible for you to visit these areas that you are looking into, say...for the weekend or so? The best way to get a feel for an area is to visit the gas stations and supermarkets on a busy day. You can tell a lot by the type of people there and the way they respond to you. Just an idea. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 AM

26 posts, read 31,316 times
Clinton is far from being "the ghetto" It's one of the softest parts of Pg. And upper marlboro shady? wtf?

Theres little to no crime, well kept neighborhoods, DON'T move here if your scared of black kids,kids who dress "urban", or just black people in general. You'll hate it here.

It's only natural to be around people who like look like you,so another county would be my recomendation

Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM

317 posts, read 1,002,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flchic View Post
Hotmamma2009---

Racism is everywhere, even in the best and not so best neighborhoods. It's not the city or the area itself, but the people in general that promote the racism.

Is it possible for you to visit these areas that you are looking into, say...for the weekend or so? The best way to get a feel for an area is to visit the gas stations and supermarkets on a busy day. You can tell a lot by the type of people there and the way they respond to you. Just an idea. Good luck with your search.
About Racism.
My husband and I we are white (originally from Ukraine) and I fell very good about African American... but I was told some African American do not welcome
white in there neighborhoods

Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
The 20% of the time you will commute from Clinton to Manassas will be pure hell. I would try to find some place in NOVA in between DC and Manassas. It would make the commute easier for both of you. Public transport to DC is very limited in Clinton.
Sorry, I have to respond to this. Yes your commute to Manassas would be long and based on that I might consider living in VA but to say public transportation to DC from Clinton is limited is ridiculous. I live in Clinton, we're 7 minutes tops from the end of the green line on metro. When I worked in DC, from my door to my desk was 45-50 minutes. Actual time on train was probably 25-30 minutes. The green line has this reputation of being ghetto but during rush hour but most of the people on the train are working professionals who just want to get home. On the weekends, the trains are dead. From Clinton, you can even consider driving into the city and parking in a garage and still get to work in about an hour.

If that 20 percent of the time you're working in Manassas (one day a week?) if you don't have to travel during rush hour, it's probably worth it to live in Clinton or Ft. Washington. I have lived here for 20+ years, 6th-12th grade and univ of MD and there's nowhere in Clinton where I "wouldn't go" or any place where I feel unsafe or consider a "bad area". Clinton is virtually all single family homes and there aren't really any apartments. The few that are, are senior citizen communities or nursing homes. This is a place where you have to have a car though. I wouldn't go walking around at night, looking for trouble.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:27 PM

217 posts, read 307,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
About Racism.
My husband and I we are white (originally from Ukraine) and I fell very good about African American... but I was told some African American do not welcome
white in there neighborhoods
Not true. You would raise my property value!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,945,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
The 20% of the time you will commute from Clinton to Manassas will be pure hell. I would try to find some place in NOVA in between DC and Manassas. It would make the commute easier for both of you. Public transport to DC is very limited in Clinton.
actually the best way to do it is via WMATA c11/C13 to green line to l enfant then use the VRE.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 PM

175 posts, read 651,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC99 View Post
Not true. You would raise my property value!
Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland