Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM

68 posts, read 122,000 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a home in Fox Run Estates in Clinton. I figured I share my experience thus far regarding the good and the bad.

THE GOOD

1) Most of my neighbors are retired and the neighborhood is quiet.
2) I got triple the house I could have obtained in NOVA or Rockville for the same price
3) 5 miles from the DC beltway/branch avenue station
4) 5 miles from Waldorf/Brandywine
5) Far less traffic vs I-66 (aka 666) if I would have bought in NOVA
6) I've experienced no crime nor have my neighbors and they have been here for 20 years
7) I haven't seen the police in my neighborhood at all (with the exception of the cop who lives up the street)

THE BAD
1) This may be everywhere but good grief there are still a ton of foreclosures hitting the market . How low can it go?
2) If you are looking for diversity Clinton is not Diverse. I don't really care so it's not bad for me but might be if you are looking for a melting pot of cultures
3) For a really nice shopping experience you have to go 10 minutes south to Waldorf. They do have a few places (Safeway, walmart, shoppers, etc) but most of the nicer stores are 10 miles away
4) The schools are extremely old and look run down. I don't have kids but went to vote at one of the elementary schools. The school buildings seem to be a last priority in this area.
5) Terrible driving on Branch Avenue. I suppose this is true for most of Maryland but I've never seen so much dangerous driving vs what I've seen on Branch Avenue.
6) Higher property taxes. The tax money sure isn't going to build new schools. In light of the recent corruption I hope things will turn around.

Overall I'm happy but unless the schools are renovated I will definitely not live here if I have kids that are going into elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Congrats!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrommw7 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a home in Fox Run Estates in Clinton. I figured I share my experience thus far regarding the good and the bad.

THE GOOD

1) Most of my neighbors are retired and the neighborhood is quiet.
2) I got triple the house I could have obtained in NOVA or Rockville for the same price
3) 5 miles from the DC beltway/branch avenue station
4) 5 miles from Waldorf/Brandywine
6) I've experienced no crime nor have my neighbors and they have been here for 20 years
7) I haven't seen the police in my neighborhood at all (with the exception of the cop who lives up the street)

THE BAD
1) This may be everywhere but good grief there are still a ton of foreclosures hitting the market . How low can it go?
2) If you are looking for diversity Clinton is not Diverse. I don't really care so it's not bad for me but might be if you are looking for a melting pot of cultures
3) For a really nice shopping experience you have to go 10 minutes south to Waldorf. They do have a few places (Safeway, walmart, shoppers, etc) but most of the nicer stores are 10 miles away
4) The schools are extremely old and look run down. I don't have kids but went to vote at one of the elementary schools. The school buildings seem to be a last priority in this area.
5) Terrible driving on Branch Avenue. I suppose this is true for most of Maryland but I've never seen so much dangerous driving vs what I've seen on Branch Avenue.
6) Higher property taxes. The tax money sure isn't going to build new schools. In light of the recent corruption I hope things will turn around.

Overall I'm happy but unless the schools are renovated I will definitely not live here if I have kids that are going into elementary school.
Branch Avenue is dangerous especially coming off the Beltway. I'm lucky that I live off the first exit so don't have to merge. I've seen several accidents in that vicinity and I believe there was a fatality when they were building the new ramp. Also drivers are very aggressive just let them have their way it simply isn't worth it. There was a road rage incident a few years ago in Clinton resulting in a fatality so be careful.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Thanks for the update. It sounds like a great choice for you. Too bad about the condition of the school buildings.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Anything is better than I-66. That is definitely a big plus to living in Clinton though

Quote:
I'm a little confused because I can't think of a grocery store that's in Waldorf that's not in Clinton. Seem like this part of MD has the same 4 grocery stores and little variety.

Quote:
Most of the schools in the southern part of the county are like this. A lot of the schools in Brandywine/Accokeek/Fort Washington have the same issue. It's really sad.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself there. Clinton is a nice area and it's close to a lot of major roads so you have an easy time getting around.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,250 times
[quote=meatkins;17791978]Anything is better than I-66. That is definitely a big plus to living in Clinton though

Congrats on having an open mind and finding a bargain that works for you. I hope it only gets better with time.
I-66 and 270 and American Legion bridge are two areas I would never desire to commute on to/from work. I toyed with considering MoCo but as I see the traffic to/from there to my job in the Dulles area I have changed my mind about MoCo completely. Hubby just got a new job in NoVa also (in lieu of DC which is where we both used to work) so now we will both be working in NoVa so it looks like I will be heading back to NoVa (inside or near 495 avoiding 66) if we decide to leave Ft. Wash.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,135 times
Cool - so I guess overall you like it and are happy? What about car insurance prices?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm a little confused because I can't think of a grocery store that's in Waldorf that's not in Clinton. Seem like this part of MD has the same 4 grocery stores and little variety.
As you probably know, not all Safeways and Giants are created equal. I go into a lot of grocery stores, so I'm trying to remember the specific ones in the Clinton and Waldorf areas. I know there's a Giant and a Safeway basically right across the street from each other, and if I remember correctly the Safeway was actually kinda nice (although I'm not a huge fan of Safeway in general), but although the Giant is pretty big I don't think I was terribly impressed. But I know there's that new shopping center right off 301 I guess in Brandywine that has Safeway, Target, and Costco all together. Speaking of which, I don't believe there are any club stores in Clinton, but Waldorf has all three of Costco, Sam's and BJ's. Although there aren't as many of those stores so there are a lot of towns where you'd have to drive 10+ minutes to get to one...

But she might be referring to stuff besides grocery stores. Waldorf has basically every big box store you can imagine (which of course to some is not always a good thing)

Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
As you probably know, not all Safeways and Giants are created equal. I go into a lot of grocery stores, so I'm trying to remember the specific ones in the Clinton and Waldorf areas. I know there's a Giant and a Safeway basically right across the street from each other, and if I remember correctly the Safeway was actually kinda nice (although I'm not a huge fan of Safeway in general), but although the Giant is pretty big I don't think I was terribly impressed. But I know there's that new shopping center right off 301 I guess in Brandywine that has Safeway, Target, and Costco all together. Speaking of which, I don't believe there are any club stores in Clinton, but Waldorf has all three of Costco, Sam's and BJ's. Although there aren't as many of those stores so there are a lot of towns where you'd have to drive 10+ minutes to get to one...

But she might be referring to stuff besides grocery stores. Waldorf has basically every big box store you can imagine (which of course to some is not always a good thing)
You're right about the Giant off Woodberry. Something is amiss with that store. The Giant in Marlow Heights is better and it's in a worse neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You're right about the Giant off Woodberry. Something is amiss with that store. The Giant in Marlow Heights is better and it's in a worse neighborhood.
That Giant needs to be renovated badly. It is extremely dated and at least they renovated the Marlow Heights one. I would definitely agree with GoPhils that the quality is different comparing some of those stores to the Clinton ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland