Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:49 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Ellicott City, Towson ... and where else?

There's nothing exceptional about Silver Spring. People like it for what it's not: Not DC, not NOVA-style sprawl.
First, as far as around B'more, I'm no expert. But besides what you mentioned, Columbia has it's own feel, artificial and sterile IMO, but still it's own place. Glen Burnie feels place-ish. Essex is certainly it's own place. Head out past Owings Mills and north of Towson, and there are towns with sprawl, not just sprawl. These are not all places I'd want to live in, and all except Ellicot City may fail as destinations. But each with has it's own separate identity from Baltimore and is not merely sprawl. So maybe there are quite a few around Baltimore if the bar isn't set too high.

I was just thinking about what the OP's next step would be... OK, Silver Spring is not it. Are there places like what he's evidently looking for around the DC metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
First, as far as around B'more, I'm no expert. But besides what you mentioned, Columbia has it's own feel, artificial and sterile IMO, but still it's own place. Glen Burnie feels place-ish. Essex is certainly it's own place. Head out past Owings Mills and north of Towson, and there are towns with sprawl, not just sprawl. These are not all places I'd want to live in, and all except Ellicot City may fail as destinations. But each with has it's own separate identity from Baltimore and is not merely sprawl. So maybe there are quite a few around Baltimore if the bar isn't set too high.

I was just thinking about what the OP's next step would be... OK, Silver Spring is not it. Are there places like what he's evidently looking for around the DC metro?
Reading this, I would say that the bar has been lowered since you made the previous post, but I think I understand what you're saying.

For the record, I would consider anything past Reisterstown to be anything but exurb/small town. Places like Hampstead, Hanover, Westminster, etc are really in super-commuter territory.

While it's true that Glen Burnie and Essex have "downtown" areas, there is nothing exceptional about either. Glen Burnie's is mostly lawyers and bailbondsmen, Essex is mostly sub shops and bailbondsmen. And none of these places would exist without Baltimore (same with Ellicott City, whose flour mills were why the B&O railroad made its westerly march about 200 years ago).

I've advised Tiger Beer a bunch. Personally, I'd think downtown Frederick is the best bet for him, but it's a shame it isn't closer to DC, and that it's become so sprawling. But it is its own place, for sure.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If Silver Spring wasn't right next to DC, do you think it would have a higher recognition as a destination city in its own right?

I guess what I'm getting at, is when I view photos of Silver Spring, it seems like a busy place with more than enough to keep oneself busy.

At the same time, I'll occassionally view photos of other random cities across the U.S. You'll look at their downtown photos, and they'll look largely empty or deserted.

I'm just thinking, that IF Silver Spring was in say, Nebraska or Iowa or Kansas or somewhere far removed, and it being what it is now, would it be a destination city in its way, for the people who lived a couple hundred miles from it?

Also, tying this in, in many ways, Silver Spring IS a suburb of DC, and in other ways, offers all the things that a city that would be far-removed from it's location as a surburban city, would offer.

Nontheless, would others agree with any of this, or largely disagree?
This question is like asking if London wasn't by the Thames or New York not by the Hudson. It's nonsensical.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times
The answer on Silver Spring seems to be, meh. If only Annapolis were closer...but then it wouldn't be near the water.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
OP here.

I finally got to visit Silver Spring last year. Pretty much everything that was written here, makes complete sense now.

It was very high on my list of potential places to live in metro DC. Once I saw it, I scratched it off. I was imagining a complete town sitting there. However, I found out it was just a literal extension of DC, and then just large swaths of suburban nothingness. Didn't seem interesting at all. Definitely not a destination in itself, by any means.
No wonder. Silver Spring is not a city. It's just a part of Montgomery County. The same is true for Ballston to Rosslyn in Arlington County. You were expecting it to be what it isn't.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
I used to hang out in Silver Spring when I was a teenager, nothing but trouble. Downtown Silver Spring used to have alot of criminal activity; bloods, drug dealing, fights, flash mobs, drug using, etc.... this was back in 06-09 mostly. I only go there every now and then these days, but I still see some of the same dudes out there doing nothing with there lives smh. Im glad I matured and grew up.
If you would have said 1996-99 I would not be surprised however if your talking about Downtown Silver Spring near City Place between 2006-09 I find that Extremely Very Hard to believe that the area had a lot of crime/corruption.....

Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Ellicott City, Towson ... and where else?

There's nothing exceptional about Silver Spring. People like it for what it's not: Not DC, not NOVA-style sprawl.
Sarcastic or not that is not a good thing especially when they are over charging the rents at Northern/Virginia level and not getting the same Upscale Development as DC/Northern Virginia.......

There is nothing beneficial of keeping Silver Spring as a Bedroom Community while Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria continue to thrive.........

Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post

Tysons Corner, Reston,Dulles, Alexandria, Arlington... Take your pick....

Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Sarcastic or not that is not a good thing especially when they are over charging the rents at Northern/Virginia level and not getting the same Upscale Development as DC/Northern Virginia.......

There is nothing beneficial of keeping Silver Spring as a Bedroom Community while Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria continue to thrive.........
The rent charged will be equal to what people are willing to pay, no?

I guess it's working out. Lots of people seem to want Silver Spring, even if it's not "upscale" enough for you.

You can't be serious in any allegation that Montgomery County is not thriving.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 AM

78 posts, read 229,721 times
Quote:
OP here.

I finally got to visit Silver Spring last year. Pretty much everything that was written here, makes complete sense now.

It was very high on my list of potential places to live in metro DC. Once I saw it, I scratched it off. I was imagining a complete town sitting there. However, I found out it was just a literal extension of DC, and then just large swaths of suburban nothingness. Didn't seem interesting at all. Definitely not a destination in itself, by any means.

To be fair, Silver Spring is a popular option for young single people who work in DC (as it has a metro stop and is a major transport hub), especially those that are a little more on the liberal side. It also has some dining options like a lot of great Ethiopian restaurants, one of the most authentic Thai supermarkets in the area (that also serves food), a couple of nuevo latino restaurants, a decent Italian place (olazzo), a jewish deli, etc. The AFI is one of the best places to watch independent movies in the DC area. There is also a co-op/organic supermarket there. On weekends, you'll find pretty good pedestrian traffic with a decent amount of people hanging out, along with a bar or two.

Additionally, in the area, there is Takoma Park, which has a Berkeley-like feel (politically), wheaton to the north, which has some of the area's best ethnic restaurants, a large hispanic community and a large number of chinese and thai restaurants. Finally, there's langley park, home to a large hispanic community and some good authentic east indian groceries & restaurants and college park, home of the university of maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland