Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 38,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
So true, walk in the hallways of Gaithersburg H, and compare it Churchill....the difference is astonishing. And these two schools are like a 10 min drive apart..
How different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
Of course it's different. Birds of a feather flocks together. Kids are so impressionable. If you have kids who's parents are not into their academic it will rub off on your kids. We all grow up in America the land of the free and the opportunities and look at the stats. Not everybody is well off or owns a business. Anyway back to the subject, there will be no new high school. I believe the plan stated something to the nature that if there is critical mass a new high school will be debated. For now no new high school.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 AM

9 posts, read 38,567 times
You got some good points there thoche. Thanks for your inputs.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:08 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wooton is not diverse and mainly consists of rich kids. They don't have to deal with poverty or language barriers. Its the least diverse school in the county. Its amazing how Montgomery County creates their school clusters. Wooton is the only school with one Middle School feeding it. I think their community has fought to keep certain neighborhoods out or the county wants to have more high performing schools that don't have any challenges or road blocks.
I expected Poolesville and Damascus high schools to be the least diverse. Question: Does Woottoon have the highest proportion of Asians in the county?

To be fair diversity is not just race.

It's also household income level and parents nationality for instance, I'd be curious to see statistics on that. School X with 90% black people, but people from Mali, people from Dominican Republic, people from France, people from housheholds making $200K, people from households making $50K is more diverse than School Z with 50% white, 25% black 25% other but the entire school is diplomats and third culture kids and people who are driven to the school by chauffeurs. This is one of the failings of diversity. It stops at race. While race is interesting, they should be beyond it a little just to see what is revealed.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
^ some people call it Wonton, not sure why. Schooldigger.com will give you a breakdown...

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/MD/sc...34/school.aspx

Old 07-30-2011, 11:32 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wooton is not diverse and mainly consists of rich kids. They don't have to deal with poverty or language barriers. Its the least diverse school in the county.
Weird, this directly contradicts my college experience at Maryland. Of all the Wootton grads I know (and I know many), every single person is Asian except for two. Everyone I know calls it Wonton High School haha.

Edit: Actually, in a way our statements agree now that I think about it... A place isn't diverse if everyone is the same, minority or not.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,266 times
Yes, there will be redistricting. Don't look for Wootton boundries to be changed much.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 AM

84 posts, read 206,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenterum View Post
I have observed that Dufief neighborhood is closer to Quince Orchard HS, but when QO HS was built in 1988, Dufief did not get redistricted. Does that mean it does not always depends on the distance to schools whether a neighborhood get redistricted?

xenterum-It is most definitely NOT based on how close you actually are to a school. I currently live in Decoverly (right next to the Crown Farm work, luckily, it's now loud..yet) and the kids go to Gaithersburg for now even though Wooton is actually closer.

I did hear that a good bit of redistricting will go on once Crown Farm is built, taking students from Gaithersburg (I guess mostly my neighborhood for that one), QO, Wooton, Richard Montgomery, etc to fill up the new school in Crown Farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland