Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should these students be allowed to have in-state tuition?
Yes 9 29.03%
No 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

At Maryland hearing on tuition bill, young illegal immigrants make emotional appeals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Definitely should. I just briefly read the article, and there were such clauses as 'must have completed two years of High School in Maryland', etc.

Anyways, I partially feel education is somewhat of a ripoff anyways. Most universities/colleges charge way too much, and I'm not so sure there is much of a reward for most graduates. Some, get massively paid off with education. But the majority of youth just go in a lot of debt, rack up the credit cards, and end up with bad credit in the end.

With tuition already being way too high. It's insane to charge the 'Latino' kids three times more than locals. Especially when they are both essentially local, as the Latino kids went to the same High Schools like everyone else.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Definitely should. I just briefly read the article, and there were such clauses as 'must have completed two years of High School in Maryland', etc.

Anyways, I partially feel education is somewhat of a ripoff anyways. Most universities/colleges charge way too much, and I'm not so sure there is much of a reward for most graduates. Some, get massively paid off with education. But the majority of youth just go in a lot of debt, rack up the credit cards, and end up with bad credit in the end.

With tuition already being way too high. It's insane to charge the 'Latino' kids three times more than locals. Especially when they are both essentially local, as the Latino kids went to the same High Schools like everyone else.
Let's be politically correct here, they aren't Latinos, they are illegal immigrants, which means they can be African, Asian, or whatever else as well. Second they aren't local, they aren't even citizens of this nation. Also even if these individuals get an education here, they are still not eligible to work in this country so then how do you deal with that? It seems like it's nice, it's like you're doing the 'right thing' but there are a billion other issues that come along with it. It's ridiculous that lawmakers continue to ignore illegal immigration. This is like putting a band-aid on a scar. This really doesn't solve the any real problems, it just creates more.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Let's be politically correct here, they aren't Latinos, they are illegal immigrants, which means they can be African, Asian, or whatever else as well. Second they aren't local, they aren't even citizens of this nation. Also even if these individuals get an education here, they are still not eligible to work in this country so then how do you deal with that? It seems like it's nice, it's like you're doing the 'right thing' but there are a billion other issues that come along with it. It's ridiculous that lawmakers continue to ignore illegal immigration. This is like putting a band-aid on a scar. This really doesn't solve the any real problems, it just creates more.
According to the article, they ARE local. Says most of the kids spend their childhoods growing up in Maryland, and the law states that they MUST have spent two years at a Maryland High School.

If that isn't local, I don't know what is.

Kids are kids. It's hard enough as an 18-year-old kid, why charge some three times more for tuition because of the country their parents were born in. Tuition is already way too high.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,144 times
As a person born in this country to Cuban parents, I say they should. You always hear of the illegals who kill, rob, etc. but not enough of the ones who want to get an education to achieve the American dream. They are illegal because of something their parents did or failed to do. Let's give these students a fresh start, a top-notch American education, and let's let them eventually become citizens of this great nation!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
One of the things I love about this state is that we don't have the same virulent attitudes as many states regarding about our neighbors who are not legal residents. Don't know about the rest of the state but in Baltimore, many of the hispanic families kids have grown up in the city and they are very much LOCALS. East Baltimore is home to CasaMaryland providing economic outreach and other resources to the hispanic community-- a great organization. So yes, I think it is great that kids who have grown up in Maryland but don't have legal status will have more opportunities for higher education. The more people who can get an education, the better.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
According to the article, they ARE local. Says most of the kids spend their childhoods growing up in Maryland, and the law states that they MUST have spent two years at a Maryland High School.

If that isn't local, I don't know what is.

Kids are kids. It's hard enough as an 18-year-old kid, why charge some three times more for tuition because of the country their parents were born in. Tuition is already way too high.
Because they have laws. Notice the title says "illegal immigrants", which means a law is being broken. Normally when people break laws, they get punished, right? If I robbed a bank, are they going to give my kids a scholarship, so what's the difference? This has nothing to do with the kids as much as the poor decisions that these parents have made. If their parents have brought them over here, or birth them here, without giving consideration to the hardships that their children will face, then the parents should bare responsibility instead of demanding rights as a non-citizen of this nation.

This bill is ridiculous to even think about. There is simply no guarantee that these illegal immigrants are even paying the right amount of taxes because none of them are documented. Can you imagine, some of them can come over here and say that they are married with 5 kids, and turn out that they are single without kids, HOW DO YOU PROVE THAT? You don't have a way to know if that's true because you don't know what kids they have or don't have. So although the idea of getting them to pay taxes seems nice, it's not full-proof. If you are a citizen of this nation, let the IRS find out that you didn't pay the right amount of taxes, they will harass you until they get every last cent, do you think it's possible for them to get the same treatment? It's just not that easy.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
As a person born in this country to Cuban parents, I say they should. You always hear of the illegals who kill, rob, etc. but not enough of the ones who want to get an education to achieve the American dream. They are illegal because of something their parents did or failed to do. Let's give these students a fresh start, a top-notch American education, and let's let them eventually become citizens of this great nation!
I agree they should be given the opportunity but it should be done like everyone else does it. You said that your parents were Cuban, if they were legal, I'm sure they went through a long process to become legal. Do you think it is fair that there are thousands, possibly millions of people around the world that are trying to do this the legal way. Is that fair to them?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Because they have laws. Notice the title says "illegal immigrants", which means a law is being broken. Normally when people break laws, they get punished, right? If I robbed a bank, are they going to give my kids a scholarship, so what's the difference? This has nothing to do with the kids as much as the poor decisions that these parents have made. If their parents have brought them over here, or birth them here, without giving consideration to the hardships that their children will face, then the parents should bare responsibility instead of demanding rights as a non-citizen of this nation.

This bill is ridiculous to even think about. There is simply no guarantee that these illegal immigrants are even paying the right amount of taxes because none of them are documented. Can you imagine, some of them can come over here and say that they are married with 5 kids, and turn out that they are single without kids, HOW DO YOU PROVE THAT? You don't have a way to know if that's true because you don't know what kids they have or don't have. So although the idea of getting them to pay taxes seems nice, it's not full-proof. If you are a citizen of this nation, let the IRS find out that you didn't pay the right amount of taxes, they will harass you until they get every last cent, do you think it's possible for them to get the same treatment? It's just not that easy.
Education isn't a 'freebie'.

I think these days the average college education is around $40,000+. I don't know about you, but that takes most people half of their life to try to pay off.

If you require them to pay $120,000+ for the same education, they basically aren't going to go to college at all. It won't even be in their minds.

If they DO go to college, than our educational facilities in America will be $40,000+ richer, we'll have another contributing member in society, and in turn that person will encourage his younger brothers and sisters, etc.

With the illegal immigration argument. I get it that it's 'illegal'. But basically we have a ton of low-paying jobs in the U.S., that Americans simply are not doing. Hence, the demand for illegals to come and do them. If they're parents are working that hard, and they usually do, why not allow their kids to go $40,000 into debt to American banks for educational purposes like the rest of us americans do.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Education isn't a 'freebie'.

I think these days the average college education is around $40,000+. I don't know about you, but that takes most people half of their life to try to pay off.

If you require them to pay $120,000+ for the same education, they basically aren't going to go to college at all. It won't even be in their minds.

If they DO go to college, than our educational facilities in America will be $40,000+ richer, we'll have another contributing member in society, and in turn that person will encourage his younger brothers and sisters, etc.

With the illegal immigration argument. I get it that it's 'illegal'. But basically we have a ton of low-paying jobs in the U.S., that Americans simply are not doing. Hence, the demand for illegals to come and do them. If they're parents are working that hard, and they usually do, why not allow their kids to go $40,000 into debt to American banks for educational purposes like the rest of us americans do.
I have to go with meatkins on this.

My tax money should not be subsidizing the illegal entry of people so that others can have their lawn mowed for a pittance. Nor should they be rewarded with benefits for their children that actual citizens cannot obtain. My son, a legal residen of Maryland, could not get in-state status at a Virginia state school. Yet someone of dubious status can?

We have a very generous LEGAL immigration system. Indeed, it is the most generous in the world. Few people have a problem with it. This country has always been diverse and will continue to be. Nothing wrong with that except when its done via chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland