Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogie View Post
No they aren't all at home working on rap songs, playing basketball and eating fried chicken. But what do many, many black kids do in their "spare time"? Ask them.
Watch 6+ hours a day of music videos, movies, tv shows about sex, American Idol, crimes, murders, solving murders, 48 Hrs, CSI, Law & Order, Judge shows and violence.
On the internet watching other peoples lives on Youtube.
On facebook commenting about other peoples lives or telling people that they don't know, their so called "friends", all of their personal business and thoughts.
Texting all day without a business or serious need to text.
Watching "reality shows". That engulfs them with homosexuality, greed, hoochieism, gluttony, incest, waste, thuggery and more. Whose reality is that?
Playing video games promoting disrespect for women and the elderly, sex, cultural stereotypes, and violence that their parents bought FOR them or allowed them to bring into their homes.

Many Asian parents don't allow that for their children. I'm not mad at them. We used to be the same way but since integration we have slacked up on our cultural and moral beliefs and our children are suffering because of it.
We have some real work to do in our own homes.
The same thing can be said for kids in almost any race. That's where we are as a nation. You are stereotyping blacks and asians. I didn't do any of the stuff you are claiming black kids do and I outperformed most of the kids in my school, including....asians. The problem isn't that this stuff isn't true, it's that there is a broad brush being painted of kids in PG. If this was really true, I would not be where I am. To say Asian kids not being in PG County is the reason for low performance in the schools is the same as saying that black kids are incapable of having high performance is it not? I don't remember that person saying that parents or administration was the reason for low performance. He said the lack of Asian students, so what does that say about the black kids in PG? That they are dumb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 AM

61 posts, read 133,719 times
Neither school system is all good or all bad. You have great schools in MoCo like Seneca Valley, and you have not-so-great schools like Rockville. Same with PG - think Roosevelt or Flowers, as opposed to Central or Surrattsville. MoCo schools as a whole are better than PG schools because MoCo makes its schools a higher priority than PG does. They put more money into their schools and care more about the quality of their schools. Sadly, schools are put on the backburner in PG. Lots of bright students in PG, but since the schools are generally not considered as much of a priority in PG, those students are forced to work with less, unless they transfer to a school outside of PG, which is what usually ends up happening. It's a matter of investing more into the schools for PG.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,536 times
MoCo schools are better on average, but there are some bright spots in P.G.

Oxon Hill HS has a great magnet program, but is mixed in with some kids from bad neighborhoods.

Friendly high school has some decent prorgrams, same for Gwynn Park.

Bowie, Laurel, Roosevelt, and Flowers have decent education as well.

It's just that many of the teachers are sorry, some of the kids don't give a damn either. The careless folks are the ones that bring my county down

Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
So I guess all the black students are at home working on rap songs, playing basketball and eating fried chicken right?
Is there anybody out there that doesn't eat fried chicken? The stuff is great. Every white person I know loves friend chicken? Is it just a south of the Mason-Dixon thing? Do people from New Jersey, New York, Wisconsin, etc. not regularly eat fried chicken?

Sorry to get off topic, but I always that that stereotype in particular is stupid.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Thank you for clearing that up. John Murphy was way before my time. I didn't start going to school until Jerome Clarke was the superintendent.

Yeah the same can also be said about Oxon Hill High School, which traditionally is right behind Roosevelt year in and year out.

Yes it is true that Douglass is old, but I would invite you to look at their school building versus Fairmont Heights or Friendly, which are equally old. It goes to show you what schools they really care about. And as far as the graffitti, I've seen it in that building, it's sad, but if you really think the students doing these things are non-Upper Marlboro students, then you don't know PG County. I'm so serious when I say that there are kids in $500k homes that want to be in gangs. There are bad kids in Upper Marlboro just like anywhere else. Just the other day, I was driving off of Bock Road and Tucker Road, when my wife and I saw gang members, clear as day, walking around. We were sitting there shaking our heads because these kids don't have any clue what they are doing. They are doing this because this what they think is cool. And what's sad is, that's actually a nice area, just like Upper Marlboro.
Well obviously Blacks can do well, or more accurate individual Blacks can do well. Taken as a group the stats just don't bear that out. Even black children in 6 figure homes lag behind their poorer white and Asian peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland