Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I see plenty of Virginia license plate on the BW Parkway heading towards DC in the evening. All of them pile up in the right lane on 295 at the Sewage Plant trying to get over the Wilson Bridge.

I don't see how I-95 North of Baltimore heading South can be pouring into Virginia in the evening especially when according to you...people travel from Baltimore to work in Virginia.
Thats right and you wanna why that is.........

Those drivers with Virginia tags are coming from Downtown DC.

So instead of taking I-395 they can also take the BW Parkway/I-295 through Maryland then Swing across the Wilson Bridge to Virginia....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
and what's your reasoning behind Virginia drivers on the BW Parkway in the evenings heading towards DC?
They are going back home from visiting families and friends in NY/NJ/PA.....

Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
The problem is that you just can't pick a random location and just develop. That's what happening in Northern Virginia When you develop an area, it has to make sense. You develop around people not in a isolated area expecting people to come there. Northern Virginia is just a place where people come and go. Tysons Corner was a quiet normal community turned into disarray. Half of those strip malls and other development are worthless. Virginia has all the office space and may be developed but it's not planned well. I just hope the Silver Line can come through and shape up Northern Virginia.

You need to preserve land for farm and agriculture uses. Some lands just doesn't have any business being bother with.
Then can you explain why the Hell there are tight Laws(Historic Preservation, Building Height Regulations, Sky High Property Taxes, and Mountains of Political Approval Processing) that has Plagued the Existing Developed areas in Montgomery County(especially Takoma Park) and PG County(especially Greenbelt)...........

Old 12-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You have no idea what urban is I see. Unless we are talking about zero lot office buildings in CBD's without surface parking anywhere and first floor retail fronting the street, it doesn't count. Just reading what you type makes it so clear that you are from the suburbs. Nothing in Northern Virginia is urban except Arlington and even Arlington has way too many single family homes to every be really urban. Northern Virginia has suburban office parks. Tyson's Corner won't be urban till 2040. That is really far from now. The highways that run through Tyson's already take away from the urbanity of the future developed Tyson's. Concrete blocks of high rises like downtown DC is the only urban office space that counts. Northern Virginia needs to knock down a couple thousand single family homes if they ever want to be urban. You are such a suburban guy. It's so clear. People in Paris, London, and Tokyo would laugh you off this board of they read how you think Northern Virginia is urban! Lol....have you ever even been on the subway? Do you know what downtown DC looks like? Do you see a bunch of spread out buildings and parking lots everywhere? Do you see grass medians and huge surface parking lots? Lol....
That definition of "Urban" is sugar coded for Small Town Elitism.......

Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
The only time anyone would make such a comment is when they know they can not argue against the truth that Northern Virginia is beating the Breaks off of Maryland for Business Growth and Economic Wealth.......
All I'm trying to say is there are better ways increase businesses and revenue growth problem is that no one cares. Business and developers aren't buying it because they're looking out for their own interest which is making money. The way you prefer in Virginia currently in progress of destroying the region. Maryland just overspends and waste money on unnecessary highway projects.

Northern Virginia may be developed but doesn't have the infrastructure. All they doing is just destroying forests, farmland, spending more money on schools, roads, and other services. All in the same time leaving existing areas abandoned and boarded up creating congestion, overcrowded schools and increase in taxes. I bet those who live in Northern Virginia don't even know who their neighbors are and couldn't care.

Virginia has gotten to the point where it's gone overboard and just adding on debt without their knowledge. Places like Virginia and Metro Atlanta, it's a mess and most people that live in those area are oblivious to what's happening.

I no longer wish to argue about this. I think I've said enough. They will see for themselves in the future. Virginia can be proud of their businesses and development but they are hurting themselves.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:42 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Google......
Can't back it up, eh? Not surprised one bit.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:43 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,189 times
Quote:

So instead of taking I-395 they can also take the BW Parkway/I-295 through Maryland then Swing across the Wilson Bridge to Virginia....
BW Parkway is to the northeast of DC. They would have to already be in Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795
They are going back home from visiting families and friends in NY/NJ/PA.....
everyday during peak hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795
Then can you explain why the Hell there are tight Laws(Historic Preservation, Building Height Regulations, Sky High Property Taxes, and Mountains of Political Approval Processing) that has Plagued the Existing Developed areas in Montgomery County(especially Takoma Park) and PG County(especially Greenbelt)...........
It's called making use of what already exist instead of rebuilding in a isolated place. Doesn't make much sense any other way. Why create a new community(likely one where people won't interact with one another) when there is an existing one? Montgomery County is one of the few counties that preserve land for farming and agriculture uses.

Last edited by Phyxius; 12-11-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 03:43 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:

Do you even know where the BW Parkway is?

Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioSmario View Post
Now we see a clearer picture why Maryland is in the economic mess it's in, and has been for 30 years. The "urban" uber cool residents of Maryland are more concerned with what people in Europe and Japan think about them than being a national joke (if anyone is even thinking about them). LOL!
If I'm not mistaken, people in Asia and Europe consider high rise or sky scraper development to be chic and cool and a sign of progress. They look to American cities for examples. DC is much like european capitals, which have no high rise development in the center of the cities. All the building that goes upward, if there is any, takes place in the peripheral of the cities. (DC has height codes whereas european cities are just so old there's no room.)
I'm sure people in Paris (oo-la-la) and London (milk with your tea, mum?) would look at Tyson's Corners, Crystal City, Roslyn, Alexandria along the Beltway, even Springfield off I-95 and say, "wow, check it out. Now that's modern progress! We have nothing like that in our old dilapidated countries!" But wait until they see Maryland! LOL!
Try to figure it out. We're not discussing technical aspects of "urban" versus suburban. We're talking about the fact that the state of Maryland lags. It lags in nearly every category of development for most states with large cities. It lags in highway infrastructure, it lags in office space infrastructure, it lags in business development. If you're happy living there, good. Stay, pay your taxes, listen to your leaders, commute to Virginia and DC (and increasingly Delaware and Pennsylvania). Enjoy your standard of living plummeting as Marylanders spend more hours behind the wheel than any people in North America. Oo-la-la!
In All Honesty I do not believe that he/she is a True Maryland Tax Paying Resident......

Alot of people that keep spewing the anti-Growth BS towards Maryland are from Virginia....

Also I definitely believe that the wealthy folks down there are endorsing/sponsoring the anti-Growth MD Politicians/Special Interest Groups in order to keep Maryland from competing against Northern Virginia.......

Old 12-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Can't back it up, eh? Not surprised one bit.
What do you want to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland