U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2011, 04:31 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,810 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Someone posted a question about pg county... After have live here for 10 years and now in anne arundel county , i prefer anne arundel county. I believe the taxes collected at the county level are better utilized within the county in the schools and services anne arundel county provide. Especially if you have children planning to attend pg county schools, dont do it... Pg county is one of the richest counties for blacks , why don't the schools or services reflect that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM
 
Location: District of Columbia
39 posts, read 36,000 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVELYLACY View Post
Pg county is one of the richest counties for blacks , why don't the schools or services reflect that.
You just answered you're own question, not to mention the fact most of the wealth is outside of the beltway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,598 posts, read 17,908,364 times
Reputation: 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVELYLACY View Post
Someone posted a question about pg county... After have live here for 10 years and now in anne arundel county , i prefer anne arundel county. I believe the taxes collected at the county level are better utilized within the county in the schools and services anne arundel county provide. Especially if you have children planning to attend pg county schools, dont do it... Pg county is one of the richest counties for blacks , why don't the schools or services reflect that.
So you started a thread about this? We know PG schools suck we get it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 12,693,291 times
Reputation: 3187
I do understand where the OP is coming from. PG is one of those places that you accept for what it is if you have grown up here or have spent a good portion of your life in, but as soon as you move to another location, you start scratching your head wondering what was so great about it. It's sad but true. That's not to say that PG is awful, it's just okay to me, but once you live in another place, you start to see how much better other places are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
 
692 posts, read 1,641,173 times
Reputation: 302
Why do people start threads to bash a county they don't live in. If you like where you live, great. How about starting a thread about that community? Many people like/love living in Prince George's County. I don't see Prince George's County residents starting thread after thread bashing Montgomery, Ann Arundel, Howard, Arlington, or Fairfax county.

The PG County schools suck statements are getting stale as well. I don't have the time or the energy to go into the diversity of the county's schools. Are all of the county's schools great? NO. Are all of the county's schools awful? NO. Is there room for improvement? Yes. Troubled schools are improving. Family income, parental involvement, and the education level of the parents usually determines how well a child does in school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
 
512 posts, read 1,528,039 times
Reputation: 221
Meatkins: I agree with you 100%

Liliblu: I also agree with you as well.

I don't understand what's with the constant negativity towards P.G. If it were that bad then there wouldn't be close to a million people living in the county.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,598 posts, read 17,908,364 times
Reputation: 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Meatkins: I agree with you 100%

Liliblu: I also agree with you as well.

I don't understand what's with the constant negativity towards P.G. If it were that bad then there wouldn't be close to a million people living in the county.
PG has always been an also ran in this region. I don't get why people get all worked up over it, either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,598 posts, read 17,908,364 times
Reputation: 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
Why do people start threads to bash a county they don't live in. If you like where you live, great. How about starting a thread about that community? Many people like/love living in Prince George's County. I don't see Prince George's County residents starting thread after thread bashing Montgomery, Ann Arundel, Howard, Arlington, or Fairfax county.

The PG County schools suck statements are getting stale as well. I don't have the time or the energy to go into the diversity of the county's schools. Are all of the county's schools great? NO. Are all of the county's schools awful? NO. Is there room for improvement? Yes. Troubled schools are improving. Family income, parental involvement, and the education level of the parents usually determines how well a child does in school.
Well it's the truth. The school system cannot hold a candle to any school district in the immediate area except DC and maybe Alexandria. In Maryland PG is running neck and neck with Baltimore City for the state's worst. The fact that a couple PG schools are better than average is irrelevant in light of these facts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 PM
 
Location: PRINCE GEORGES/MONTGOMERY
175 posts, read 606,272 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post

I don't understand what's with the constant negativity towards P.G. If it were that bad then there wouldn't be close to a million people living in the county.
I agree to that. You know, i think there should be enough "PG bashing". Some people never really go there and come on here or in person telling the world that pg is problomatic, or ghetto, or whatever people call it. I know some people just drive through suitland at the wrong time of night or something and say its just horrible. You never know unless you live there, or work there, thats all i can say.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 01:43 AM
 
429 posts, read 1,084,664 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well it's the truth. The school system cannot hold a candle to any school district in the immediate area except DC and maybe Alexandria. In Maryland PG is running neck and neck with Baltimore City for the state's worst. The fact that a couple PG schools are better than average is irrelevant in light of these facts.
Actually, I think one could make an argument that the fact that some PG schools are better than average is highly relevant if those are the schools your kids attend. How much does it matter if the "average" is low if your kids attend good classes with good teachers? How much comfort should someone take from MoCo's or Fairfax's high averages if his or her kid is failing at one of their lower performing schools?

DT
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top