Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I actually believe it or not, I think

Prince George's County = Prince William County

I know, I know, people will think I'm crazy, but there are many similarities between the two, especially economically, demographically and as far as home value. Frederick is not as diverse or have the soiled reputation that PWC or PGC has compared to their neighboring counties (Fairfax and Montgomery, respectively).

Prince William County has a population of 402,002. Prince George's County has a population of 863,420. Virginia doesn't have an answer for Prince George's County. Virginia suburbs aren't populated enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Prince William County has a population of 402,002. Prince George's County has a population of 863,420. Virginia doesn't have an answer for Prince George's County. Virginia suburbs aren't populated enough.
Very true, but I was just thinking of it from a lifestyle aspect as opposed to every detail. Population is one thing, but I think similarities in housing cost and demographics would make it easier to compare these two places as being worthy to live in.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Very true, but I was just thinking of it from a lifestyle aspect as opposed to every detail. Population is one thing, but I think similarities in housing cost and demographics would make it easier to compare these two places as being worthy to live in.
I don't think they are alike at all. Prince George's County is an urban suburb. Prince William County is a country exurb. Prince George's County has 4 metro lines feeding every region in the county outside D.C. Prince William has no metro access. Prince George's County has extensive bus access. Prince William County barely has any bus access. PG shares more borders with D.C. than any other county in the metro area. PG is urban with double the population. PW is country. They don't really have much in common.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I suppose I'm thinking of inside the beltway locations....Falls Church/Annandale/N.Springfield versus Silver Spring/College Park.

But, I'm probably using references others aren't thinking about.

Then when I think outside of the Belway, I think Frederick or Woodbridge. Just because it seems you'd want affordability with going out far.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-01-2011 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
Im a Pro Marylander myself and the thing that I like about NOVA is mostly the way it looks. Most of NOVA is all new and shiny (even though for some reason I feel that it lacks in character) but its still very nice to look at while driving to Pentagon City. My favorite parts are Arlington and of course Tyson's, but I don't think that I like them enough to actually move their though. The biggest problem that I have with VA is that their laws are different and far more strict than Maryland's, which I guess is due to it being both a Confederate and a Common Wealth State. If the police in VA were to tell you to tie your shoes you better do it or that's an automatic 10 yrs in Maximum prison even if you try to fight it in Court LOL. NOVA itself has the Demographics of Maryland, but the Laws of Texas, but some People say that MD and VA (NOVA) are alike, but for some reason I just don't get that same feel in VA as I do when Im in Maryland even with them being so close. So I guess the same reasons that wouldn't move to Texas is the same reasons I wouldn't move to VA, which is----> Confederate/Common Wealth=

Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think they are alike at all. Prince George's County is an urban suburb. Prince William County is a country exurb. Prince George's County has 4 metro lines feeding every region in the county outside D.C. Prince William has no metro access. Prince George's County has extensive bus access. Prince William County barely has any bus access. PG shares more borders with D.C. than any other county in the metro area. PG is urban with double the population. PW is country. They don't really have much in common.
And PG isn't? Have you ever seen Upper Marlboro or even parts of Clinton or Accokeek? Those places aren't really metropolis USA. Prince William County is a lot smaller, but besides maybe some portions of Manasssas, Gainesville, Bristow, and Dumfries, PWC has nothing but suburb neighborhoods and tons of shopping centers. The most urban part of PG County is maybe College Park or Hyattsville, but outside of that PGC is just as suburb as anywhere else. Inside the beltway it may be a bit more built up but once you get outside the beltway, PGC becomes very rural.

PWC also has a large minority population that is one of the few places in the NoVA that comes anywhere close to matching PGC. PWC also has lower housing prices that rivals the prices in PGC, it has large range of poverty and wealth economically that is similar to the socio-economical makeup of PGC, it also is neighbored by a richer, more expensive county that has a better school system and lower crime. I think more people on the NoVA board would agree that Fairfax residents look at PWC like Montgomery looks at PGC. Both counties are also severely underdeveloped compared to their neighboring county that I aforementioned. Both counties have been struck hard by the foreclosure crisis and both have a lack of major employment inside their counties (for the standards of this region).

If we're talking about size, transportation, etc. etc. then I can see the difference, but what exactly does Frederick County have in common with PWC that would make it a closer comparison than PGC?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 AM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
Quote:
And PG isn't? Have you ever seen Upper Marlboro or even parts of Clinton or Accokeek? Those places aren't really metropolis USA. Prince William County is a lot smaller, but besides maybe some portions of Manasssas, Gainesville, Bristow, and Dumfries, PWC has nothing but suburb neighborhoods and tons of shopping centers. The most urban part of PG County is maybe College Park or Hyattsville, but outside of that PGC is just as suburb as anywhere else. Inside the beltway it may be a bit more built up but once you get outside the beltway, PGC becomes very rural.

PWC also has a large minority population that is one of the few places in the NoVA that comes anywhere close to matching PGC. PWC also has lower housing prices that rivals the prices in PGC, it has large range of poverty and wealth economically that is similar to the socio-economical makeup of PGC, it also is neighbored by a richer, more expensive county that has a better school system and lower crime. I think more people on the NoVA board would agree that Fairfax residents look at PWC like Montgomery looks at PGC. Both counties are also severely underdeveloped compared to their neighboring county that I aforementioned. Both counties have been struck hard by the foreclosure crisis and both have a lack of major employment inside their counties (for the standards of this region).

If we're talking about size, transportation, etc. etc. then I can see the difference, but what exactly does Frederick County have in common with PWC that would make it a closer comparison than PGC?
I see exactly what you mean with PWC & PGC sharing somewhat of the same Demographics and PGC does indeed have rual parts of it too, but at the same time I do agree that PGC is still a lot more Urban than PWC is though. Lets not forget that even though Upper Marlboro and a few other rual areas in PG are a little distant from the DC boarder, PGC itself is still literally one foostep away from the DC boarder and I've know plenty of ppl to move right from those DC boarders to places like Bowie an Upper Marlboro too. Even the people that live in those towns like Upper Marlboro or even Bowie still show more signs and characteristics of an Urban lifestyle even though they live in the suburbs simply because thats mostly what they identify with. If we were talking Charles County or something, then that argument would be entirely true. PGC has parts of it that resembles the Country and PWC, but its just that the PGC attitude doesn't always if ever give off that "Im in the Country" feel IMO.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:

The people in PG county are urban. They live a much faster lifestyle than PW county which is very slow. The density in PG county is way higher than PW county. There is nothing urban about PW county. Upper Marlboro and Clinton are zoned to stay rural to protect the environment just like Potomac is zoned to stay rural in Montgomery County. Maryland has very strict zoning laws that only allows building near transit. That is something Virginia doesn't have which is why they have an overabundance of single family homes and lack urbanity.

Maryland is way more urban than Virginia. Maryland has apartments everywhere, 6 metro legs, 3 commuter rail routes, and high bus ridership. PW county and Fairfax county have a ton of single family homes which isn't urban. Their lifestyle is built around the car while Maryland's is built around the subway and buses and that gap is only going to expand more and more. Maryland is building the purple line, corridor cities tansitway, and BRT routes. If Montgomery County and PG county didn't have zoning laws and built up the whole county like Fairfax, Montgomery County would have about 2 million people and PG county would have about 1.5 million people. There are huge underdeveloped area's in Maryland because of zoning.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
I see exactly what you mean with PWC & PGC sharing somewhat of the same Demographics and PGC does indeed have rual parts of it too, but at the same time I do agree that PGC is still a lot more Urban than PWC is though. Lets not forget that even though Upper Marlboro and a few other rual areas in PG are a little distant from the DC boarder, PGC itself is still literally one foostep away from the DC boarder and I've know plenty of ppl to move right from those DC boarders to places like Bowie an Upper Marlboro too. Even the people that live in those towns like Upper Marlboro or even Bowie still show more signs and characteristics of an Urban lifestyle even though they live in the suburbs simply because thats mostly what they identify with. If we were talking Charles County or something, then that argument would be entirely true. PGC has parts of it that resembles the Country and PWC, but its just that the PGC attitude doesn't always if ever give off that "Im in the Country" feel IMO.
I agree. I think MDAll-Star is trying to quantify PG into one thing, when he/she said PG is an "urban suburb". That's just not completely true. PG has a good mix of urban/suburban/rural areas. You can't really compartmentalize it into one category which is why I understand why he/she said it is difficult to compare PGC to anything in VA. At the same time, I was just simply stating that PGC has more in common with PWC than Frederick has with PWC, in my opinion. I'm not trying to say they are twin counties. The similarities definitely aren't as close as MoCo with FFX, but there are some. And as far as people in Upper Marlboro or Bowie showing signs of Urban lifestyle, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. There are people that move from urban areas to these areas all the time, but there really isn't anything remotely urban about Bowie or Upper Marlboro overall, with the exception of a few people/parts. If anything Upper Marlboro has always been a bit more rural until recent development of subdivisions over the past decade.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The people in PG county are urban. They live a much faster lifestyle than PW county which is very slow. The density in PG county is way higher than PW county. There is nothing urban about PW county. Upper Marlboro and Clinton are zoned to stay rural to protect the environment just like Potomac is zoned to stay rural in Montgomery County. Maryland has very strict zoning laws that only allows building near transit. That is something Virginia doesn't have which is why they have an overabundance of single family homes and lack urbanity.

Maryland is way more urban than Virginia. Maryland has apartments everywhere, 6 metro legs, 3 commuter rail routes, and high bus ridership. PW county and Fairfax county have a ton of single family homes which isn't urban. Their lifestyle is built around the car while Maryland's is built around the subway and buses and that gap is only going to expand more and more. Maryland is building the purple line, corridor cities tansitway, and BRT routes. If Montgomery County and PG county didn't have zoning laws and built up the whole county like Fairfax, Montgomery County would have about 2 million people and PG county would have about 1.5 million people. There are huge underdeveloped area's in Maryland because of zoning.
The people in PG are not all urban. I grew up in Accokeek and until about 15 years ago we didn't even have a grocery store in our town. If you go to that area, there is nothing remotely urban about Accokeek and most of southern PG. We have a lot of farms in that area and only recently has it began seeing development. Like I just said in the previous post, PG is too diverse just to say it is urban or suburban or whatever. Places like Accokeek are completely different than places like Hyattsville, but they are both in PG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland