Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:24 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Its because of the development going on. Also, the core of Gaithersburg is very dense and walkable. That core will be even more walkable when lake forest and fairgrounds is done. They are adding about 5,000 new residential units to a 1 mile sq. area. It will be very dense. Also, this is to connect 10 town centers that all have or will have 1,000-2,500 units in them. This is the bio technology corridor for all of Maryland, DC, and Virginia. This is where a ton of jobs are located. I think you would have to visit and see traffic to understand the need. People are thinking about now instead of the future. I guess that is why our country is so behind on and messed up now.
Thats not dense at All , TOD up here in the old NE crams in 15-20,000 per SQ mile..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats not dense at All , TOD up here in the old NE crams in 15-20,000 per SQ mile..
Lol....there is already a 15,000-20,000 per sq. mile density in the CBD and many other parts of Gaithersburg. Gaithersburg has some of the densest places in all the D.C. metro area and definitely the most in Montgomery County outside downtown silver spring. Have you ever been to Gaithersburg before? The additional units is just adding more people. Gaithersburg is the area in the middle of Montgomery County on this map and this was about 11 years ago. There are way more people there now.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-05-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:32 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,354 times
have you ever been to gaithersburg before? what CBD? There is no downtown Gaithersburg, its just a sprawly mess at the moment.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Lol....there is already a 15,000 per sq. mile density in the CBD. Have you ever been to Gaithersburg before? The additional units is just adding more people.
Ive looked at Gaithersburg , there is no solid CBD. Most older Jersey Railway towns have a dense CBD.....Gaithersburg doesn't even come close to that...

Old 03-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
have you ever been to gaithersburg before? what CBD? There is no downtown Gaithersburg, its just a sprawly mess at the moment.
CBD means central business district. These area's are in the CBD and CD zoned boundaries:

Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Ive looked at Gaithersburg , there is no solid CBD. Most older Jersey Railway towns have a dense CBD.....Gaithersburg doesn't even come close to that...

Gaithersburg has some of the densest places in the entire D.C. metro area. Look at this map which was done in 2000. It shows even 11 years ago that Gaithersburg and Silver Spring are the only area's in Montgomery County that have density like area's in D.C. and it shows some area's in Gaithersburg are denser than many area's in D.C. and there is way more development in Gaithersburg since this was done.

Washington D.C. and Baltimore Area (Gaithersburg is the area to the left of the legend box with the high density)

Maybe you can compare it to your neighborhoods in NYC by this map of the NYC metro area done in 2000.

NYC metro area:

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-05-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
yes, i'd ride if it took me where i want / need to go and back again-easily and cheaply!

my major complaint about the mass transit in the area is that it is rather "un-user friendly" (for me)- hard to get to and doesnt take me where i need to go (i know i'll get flamed, but that's the truth)

i'd love nothing better than to let my car sit unused 90% of the time, and i use it much less here than i have other places i've lived because i can walk to the bank, the grocery store, the post office, the park, and the bar - but- unless i'm looking at rush hour traffic, it is faster and easier to drive to DC, SS, CC, Bethesda, Vienna, Baltimore, Frederick, Arlington, Towson, Olney, Glen Burnie, etc. than to cobble together transit options.
Driving will almost always be faster. Even after these changes. Faster is not always better though. It just depends. I had no car for 4 months last year and hand zero problems getting around Montgomery county or DC. It just took longer. It's when I went to Fairfax County that transit options often did not work. I like Ride-On bus service a lot.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Gaithersburg has some of the densest places in the entire D.C. metro area. Look at this map which was done in 2000. It shows even 11 years ago that Gaithersburg and Silver Spring are the only area's in Montgomery County that have density like area's in D.C. and it shows some area's in Gaithersburg are denser than many area's in D.C. and there is way more development in Gaithersburg since this was done.

Washington D.C. and Baltimore Area (Gaithersburg is the area to the left of the legend box with the high density)

Maybe you can compare it to your neighborhoods in NYC by this map of the NYC metro area done in 2000.

NYC metro area:
edit sorry: lol...to the right of the legend box

Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,354 times
If that is the area you are calling the "CBD" it has a long way to go before it can be considered walkable. its very car-oriented. Its gonna take major redevelopment before people consider ditching their cars in that area.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
If that is the area you are calling the "CBD" it has a long way to go before it can be considered walkable. its very car-oriented. Its gonna take major redevelopment before people consider ditching their cars in that area.
A lot of people already take public transportation in this area. The people not taking public transportation probably don't live there. Considering Lake Forest Mall parking lots, 355 Car Dealerships, Sam's Club and Burlington parking lots, and the Fairgrounds are all about to be turned into a mixed use high density downtown, it's going to happen sooner rather than later. That's why Gaithersburg changed the zoning to mixed use recently. Developers are getting ready to come in and bid on all these properties for redevelopment. The residential population in this area is about to skyrocket even higher than it is now. Olde Town already has 689 apartments under construction with another 215 about to break ground soon. The redevelopment at Lakeforest mall will probably be the most desirable place in the whole area in the future. The density in this area is going to approach 40,000-50,000 people per sq. mile with the density planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland