Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times

Advertisements

I remember Fox News after Katrina showing loop after loop of black looters hootin' it up in the stores. It was only when the enormity of the disaster became apparent that they changed their tone from "Minority City descends into chaos" into "Human tragedy unfolds on US soil." What I remember most vividly is the women coming out of the Superdome crying and wailing, holding their dead babies. That kind of stuff sticks with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I think you have answered my question well on both counts. Perhaps some of the cultural tension in PG County is a result of a "blacks have taken over" viewpoint. Hence, the more negative aspects of the county become actualized on these discussion boards. In Japan, blacks are a novelty; I would be interested to see if this perception changes with a massive African influx or if there exists a genuine imbrace of this "cool" culture. I just hope Maryland never gets held to a litmus test where a natural disaster forces us to show our true social colors. Would there be an outpouring of support and cooperation, or more of the same "we better watch out for the blacks in PG County and Baltimore". From my recollection, Miami was generally supportive of incoming Katrina evacuees whereas in Houston and Atlanta there was considerable tension.
Well, I think in places like Japan or Seattle or Canada or wherever else. If you have a few, they can be integrated and participate in the general culture that is already there.

When you get massive influxes, they can't. For example, when cities like Detroit, etc. suddenly had large percentages of their cities as suddenly black. That culture imposes itself on the culture that is already there. There isn't an integration occurring, there is adaptation that occurs from the people already there to all the people coming in.

Japanese people are smart people. I don't think they'd ever just allow massive massive massive amounts of 'other' to just to show up with permamant plans - whether they are black, white, or green. They seem to be kind of social engineers who want that diversity, that internationalness, but also well aware of tipping points, etc. Because of it, you'll often hear that Japanese are xenophobic, etc. But living here, nothing could be further from the truth. But I do often think that if I were surrounded by a million white caucasian american people here in Japan - it would be too easy to lose all interest in trying to integrate myself whatsoever. But since that isn't the case, the opposite occurs.

That being said, I know all kinds of gaijin (foreigners) who are in Japan, and have no interest in 'integrating' or mixing with Japanese people or Japanese things. They are toxic to be around.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-12-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,568 times
Default ??????

ok............wth? Black,white,green or purple... I don't understand why

this has to be a white thing! All walks of life should be able to live where ever They want. So your comment doesn't exist in my world. I feel that it was an ignorant comment. Look up ignorant and thats what you are....So get over why white ppl live in P.G.... It's all retarted! Live life and be happy...****, we all are brother and sistas here....Amen..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The title thread is delibarately worded simply to create discussion, etc. Sorry in advance.

Nontheless, you get a predominate black area, like PG. You look at the numbers, and since it is majority black, it is assumed that there aren't any white people.

But, looking at wikipedia, you still have 27% white people in PG.

Additionally, PG is actually quite wealthy....and I get the impression it would mostly be from the black families (or individuals). I'd assume wealthy and white would probably be in MoCo or Fairfax or somewhere.

That being said, there is apparently a lot of NOT wealthy black families or individuals as well...at least thats way everyone describes PG.

Nontheless, amongst all of that going on. You DO have white people throughout PG. Where are they? WHat are they doing?

Are they way out on the rural fringes...happily doing whatever they've always been doing?

Are a large portion of them actually linked to the University of Maryland, and simply there on a temporary basis.

Are a lot of them little old ladies and older gentleman...who got stuck there as everything around them has changed demographically in their lifetimes?

Are they gentrifying souls. Are they working class? Are they 'liberals trying to make a difference' with whatever that entails - and I am not sure myself. Or are they just people who see good value for a buck?

Nontheless, what's the story with the white people of PG County?

Also, since I get the impression that at least half of the posters are AA themselves on here...where would you recommend a white person looking at PG County as a potential destination, to move to? I'm thinking the northern PG county area closest to MoCo....but curious if there are any surprise places I've overlooked...and why you recommend those particular places? (Also, not thinking of distant rural PG destinations - but the closer to DC the better).

(I'm white, in case someone was curious).

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-13-2011 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel2070 View Post
ok............wth? Black,white,green or purple... I don't understand why

this has to be a white thing! All walks of life should be able to live where ever They want. So your comment doesn't exist in my world. I feel that it was an ignorant comment. Look up ignorant and thats what you are....So get over why white ppl live in P.G.... It's all retarted! Live life and be happy...****, we all are brother and sistas here....Amen..
Mmmm..sounds like you only read the title, and came to a very wrong conclusion about the content.

Nontheless, your post came across very positive in a pro-PG way that I liked, in a between-the-lines way, which is even more insightful in a positive way into PG and the people who live there.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-13-2011 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 03-13-2011, 10:43 AM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
In my mind I still view PG as being majority white.
There are parts of the county I have not visited in over 20 years.
I am sure things have changed by now.
But until I actually visit those areas again and see how things have changed in my mind I will still view PG as being majority white.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 PM

321 posts, read 1,124,946 times
Quote:
The title thread is delibarately worded simply to create discussion, etc. Sorry in advance.

Nontheless, you get a predominate black area, like PG. You look at the numbers, and since it is majority black, it is assumed that there aren't any white people.

But, looking at wikipedia, you still have 27% white people in PG.
According to the 2009 Census Estimate, the county is now about 18% non-Hispanic white.

Prince George's County, Maryland - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2009

Quote:
Nontheless, amongst all of that going on. You DO have white people throughout PG. Where are they? WHat are they doing?
We're spread out all over the county, more so in some areas than others. As for what we're doing, I would assume we're doing the same thing that everyone else here is doing. Living, working, going to school, etc.

Quote:
Are they way out on the rural fringes...happily doing whatever they've always been doing?
There are quite a few white folks in the rural parts of county, particularly the southern parts of the county like Brandywine, Aquasco, Croom, etc.

Quote:
Are a large portion of them actually linked to the University of Maryland, and simply there on a temporary basis.
There are also quite a few whites in the northwestern part of the county near the University. In fact, there are only 3 cities/towns in the county that are above 50% white (College Park, University Park, and Berwyn Heights), and they are all very close to the school. Granted, CP is a college town, so naturally there are a lot of students who are only in the area temporarily. But all 3 of those areas, particularly University Park and Berwyn Heights, have plenty of white people (who may or may not have anything to do with the university) raising families there.

Quote:
Are a lot of them little old ladies and older gentleman...who got stuck there as everything around them has changed demographically in their lifetimes?
There are some in that situation as well. My grandfather was one of a few white people in his neighborhood in Hillcrest Heights/Temple Hills until he passed away. My boss at the first job I had was an older white lady who lived in Bladensburg, simply because she had lived there her whole life and had no intention of leaving.

Quote:
Are they gentrifying souls. Are they working class? Are they 'liberals trying to make a difference' with whatever that entails - and I am not sure myself. Or are they just people who see good value for a buck?
I'm sure that all of those categories are represented among the white population here. In my experience, there are quite a few working class whites in Hyattsville and Riverdale.

Quote:
Nontheless, what's the story with the white people of PG County?
Basically, we just happen to live in an area where whites are not the majority.

Quote:
Also, since I get the impression that at least half of the posters are AA themselves on here...where would you recommend a white person looking at PG County as a potential destination, to move to? I'm thinking the northern PG county area closest to MoCo....but curious if there are any surprise places I've overlooked...and why you recommend those particular places? (Also, not thinking of distant rural PG destinations - but the closer to DC the better).
I guess it would depend on what your comfort level is regarding to living somewhere where you are a minority. If you want to live in a predominately white neighborhood, you could look into some parts of Greenbelt or Bowie, or the areas around UMD. If you want to live around a mix of all races, you could look into the Route 1 area (Mount Rainier, Brentwood, Hyattsville). Cheverly is pretty nice, and has a surprisingly high white population given its geographic location. Or, if you don't mind living somewhere where there are very few white people, Mitchellville, Largo, Kettering, and Lake Arbor are all nice areas.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,511 times
Default How is our tax money spent?????

I am white and live in pg county. I have lived here all my life. I do not understand where are tax money is going. I live in Clinton-Ft. Washington area. The roads are hideous, the schools are a joke. Seriously PG county where is our tax money going???????

Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,290 times
Quote:

Beltsville/Greenbelt...I can't figure them out. They're just outside of the Belway, and seem more suburban suburban. More of a bland way. Whereas inside the beltway, the terrain seems more eclectic, varied, colorful in some way. Can't tell if that's a google map thing, or it's a reality.
The "Old Greenbelt" core of Greenbelt was a New Deal planned community for lower income workers. The community was originally white-only and did not begin desegregation until a few decades later. The original Old Greenbelt area (now mostly or entirely the GHI coop houses) seem to have retained a relatively high percentage of whites. There are newer developments immediately adjacent to Old Greenbelt, such as the University Square apartments, Lakeside North, and Charlestowne areas. These are mainly rentals and are very diverse. The other "new" sections of Greenbelt along 193 seem pretty mixed, but I am not as familiar with them (only moved to Greenbelt recently).

The Old Greenbelt area is suburban in a rather crunchy granola way. Not a whole lot of retail aside from a few strip malls and the center of Old Greenbelt. The USDA land to the north, NASA to the east, and Greenbelt Ntl Park on the southwest side of Greenbelt kind of hem Greenbelt in with undeveloped/offlimits space.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 AM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
http://www.leisuresuit.net/Webzine/cont_grf/hmpl6.jpg (broken link)

I remember back in the days when Landover used to look like this.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post

I remember back in the days when Landover used to look like this.
haha...I hadn't thought of that. But I did always hear of Takoma Park being the Berkeley of the East Coast. I imagine a lot of PG, Maryland use to be like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland