Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
[i]

I don't understand -- you say Montgomery public schools lack diversity -- but then right after that, you say they have increasing numbers of non-English speaking students ???
I dunno...that is just a list of reasons I have heard people say at work in different jobs over the last 10 years....not all have complained about that though. I guess it depends on which school they live near. Socioeconomic diversity is often what is mentioned, not just ethnic diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The description of the schools doesn't match my experience there. I've been gone from there 5years n ow ( - time is flying!) but did it improve that much? Really?
yep that is the article
shocked a lot of folks and of course got a lot of skeptical commentary from others saying 'what were they smoking' when they selected them
but anyhoo, nice to see some positive press about a locale

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,536 times
The high schools in Fort Washington are definitely sub par.

Middle School in Fort Washington is decent (but are majority black/hispanic/Filipino). Oxon Hill middle and Lord Baltimore academy are ok schools.

Elementary in Fort Washington is alright. Indian Queen elementary and Tayac Academy are alright. I wouldn't mind sending my kids to public elementary and middle school in Fort Washington.

Not sure about high school b/c Oxon Hill and Friendly aren't the greatest programs. May send my kids to high school where I live in VA now (God willing if I ever have any)

Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 PM

57 posts, read 162,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Particularly the miles and miles of parks. I've heard they exist, but they are greatly underutilized. Saw a few articles where people spoke about college students being fearful to use them, and preferred to stay on campus. About how they weren't well-lit or used, and trying to somehow make students interested in them, by creating reasons - better lighting, events, etc. Don't know without having been there, but they sounded very underutilized. The news article here makes it sound like a Rockwell painting.
There are several trails that run through College Park. The longest trail takes you into NE DC. When the weather warms, college students do indeed use these trails, however, the longest trail is used primarily by County residents (Hispanics).

Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
The high schools in Fort Washington are definitely sub par.

Middle School in Fort Washington is decent (but are majority black/hispanic/Filipino). Oxon Hill middle and Lord Baltimore academy are ok schools.

Elementary in Fort Washington is alright. Indian Queen elementary and Tayac Academy are alright. I wouldn't mind sending my kids to public elementary and middle school in Fort Washington.

Not sure about high school b/c Oxon Hill and Friendly aren't the greatest programs. May send my kids to high school where I live in VA now (God willing if I ever have any)
Oxon Hill High is pretty good especially if your child enrolled in the magnet program. Oxon Hill usually is right behind Eleanor Roosevelt in testing and other things. It's always been regarded as one of the best high schools in PG.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
College Park is one of the communities I was interested in for living.

But, the article does seem to contradict a lot of other things I've read about it.

Particularly the miles and miles of parks. I've heard they exist, but they are greatly underutilized. Saw a few articles where people spoke about college students being fearful to use them, and preferred to stay on campus. About how they weren't well-lit or used, and trying to somehow make students interested in them, by creating reasons - better lighting, events, etc. Don't know without having been there, but they sounded very underutilized. The news article here makes it sound like a Rockwell painting.

There's a lot of trails in College Park! I loved using them when I lived there. I could get almost anywhere in the city using them. The area of the city I lived in (Lakeland) had the most trails. In fact most are south of Greenbelt Rd. There is a fancy bridge to cross over the Metro tracks to Berwyn Hts and more trails leading to Lake Artemisia and on to DC, and the other way goes to Greeenbelt Plaza area. One trail goes under Rt. 1 to the University and turns north going all the way to Cherry Hill Rd. Students do use them, but it is probably true that some are afraid to. At night, it can get really dark on them since there are no lights. The trails really made it a better place, IMO.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM

165 posts, read 530,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Oxon Hill High is pretty good especially if your child enrolled in the magnet program. Oxon Hill usually is right behind Eleanor Roosevelt in testing and other things. It's always been regarded as one of the best high schools in PG.

Oxon Hill High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,536 times
Yeah, true Oxon Hill isn't a bad school if you can get your child in a magnet program, but the kids there are (or used to be at least) a bit wild and somewhat obnoxious. Not all kids, but some.

My neighborhood was in the Oxon Hill school district and I went to Oxon Hill Middle, but passed on going to OHHS

Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Much of PG County is very nice. I prefer it over most AA County.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Much of PG County is very nice. I prefer it over most AA County.
Don't know about that...
I wouldn't feel safe walking around at night in Hillcrest Heights, Seat Pleasant, Oxon Hill, or Langley Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland