Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
haha...I hadn't thought of that. But I did always hear of Takoma Park being the Berkeley of the East Coast. I imagine a lot of PG, Maryland use to be like that...
Madonna sucks man. She's a dick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Oooooooookay.

On topic: I lived in PG from 1949 to 1957. Lived in Hillside, went to Maryland Park High School for two years and then the new Suitland H.S. opened and we all went there. We went to the movies in Coral Hills. We ate Barbecue at the Dixie Pig on Marlboro Pike. We went to the movies in Capitol Heights. I worked in D.C. at Perpetual Building Assn. at 11th and E.

It was rare to see an AA anywhere around in PG, but remember, this was in the era before integration.

I haven't been back since I moved away. I can only say that it was a very nice rural area and I have some fond memories.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 03-14-2011 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Metro Detroit, Michigan reference there

(For those unaware of my, the OP's, origin).

But, IGGY POP, godfather of punk. Ann Arbor, Michigan, baby!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

7,000 posts, read 11,298,847 times
I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.
I'm the runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb
I am a world's forgotten boy, the one who searches.......and destroys...

Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,701 times
^^^^^^^okayyyyyy

The older folks I know say PG was like a ticking race bomb in the 70's

Say white folks would chase you if you crossed certain areas of Livingston road.

Said you didn't think about going to Laurel or Bowie if you were black. Suicide

Now there are still a decent amount of white folks in PG, they just don't send their kids to schools there for the most part. Usually bus their kids to other counties or VA.

In school in PG, there would be a total of 2-3 white kids, 10% Filipino, a few Mexicans, and 85% black.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,415 times
I bought something off of craigslist recently and picked it up from a white family with two young girls in Ft. Washington. I stayed for a while and we talked a long time about the area and schools and they love their home and the multiple acre property, the proximity to DC, and like that there are not a zillion stores/development over here and for what they need they get it in Alexandria or Waldorf just as many of us over here do. For schools they haven't figured that out yet (won't be an issue for 2 more years) but are considering private schools in Alexandria. They do not plan to move. In fact we were considering the same schools when the time comes and I shared info about the fact that some have a private school bus route that picks up in Ft. Washington because there are so many students that reside there but attend school in Alexandria.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post

In school in PG, there would be a total of 2-3 white kids, 10% Filipino, a few Mexicans, and 85% black.
Even as a black parent, those are not appealing stats to me for a school I want my child to attend.
I prefer stats that better reflect the real world.
And there are more than a few Hispanic (and probably more El Salvadoran than Mexican)...the last few years that has changed to closer say 10-15% in many schools.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 AM

321 posts, read 1,125,137 times
Quote:
It depends on which part of the county. Parkdale and Northwestern have almost as many Hispanic students as black students, and High Point actually has more.

Also, Bowie High and Roosevelt are still about 20% white. Those 2 schools are the exception though, as 9 of the 22 high schools in the county are less than 1% white, and most of the rest are between 2-4%.

Last edited by PGC301; 03-15-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^okayyyyyy

The older folks I know say PG was like a ticking race bomb in the 70's

Say white folks would chase you if you crossed certain areas of Livingston road.

Said you didn't think about going to Laurel or Bowie if you were black. Suicide

Now there are still a decent amount of white folks in PG, they just don't send their kids to schools there for the most part. Usually bus their kids to other counties or VA.

When I was growing up in the 70s, our neighborhood was already very integrated. I'd say we had about a 60/40 white/black neighborhood. We even had a family that lived behind us that was a mixed marriage (not very common back then). My aunt was also married to a black man in the 70s. Even when busing started, it made no sense because the black kids from our neighborhood were being bused to predominately black schools. I don't really remember alot of animosity between the races but, then again, I was still a kid.

I know Laurel had kind of a red-necky reputation, but Laurel has a historic black neighborhood (I believe Bowie does too) that has an interesting and impressive history. However, I guess back in the day, the blacks stayed in their neighborhood. I don't know how integrated they were with the rest of the town as they built their own school and church. Of course, for me, Laurel seemed like the other side of world and very country compared to where I grew up in Langley Park.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:53 PM

40 posts, read 95,556 times
PG County reached its "vanilla" peak in 1963, when the schools were 89.2% white and 10.8% black. The school system had only token integration from 1955 until the mid-60s.

The black percentage crept up slowly but didn't really skyrocket until forced busing started in 1973. Prior to 1965, the only black neighborhoods in PG were North Brentwood, Glenarden/Cedar Heights and some of the southern rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland