Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

What's the stories with these areas?

Examining them more closely...looks like Mount Rainier is popular because of a lot of very nice old houses that are worth fixing up - craftsman types and older streetcar system that once was there, etc. How is it these days?

Brentwood area just past Mount Rainier. Same kind of feel, or completely different? How so? Better area or worse area or the same?

Hyattsville..don't know why, this place is often recommended, but often has some stigma for crime, etc. Don't know the reality with that one. Is is just too big to categorize?

Riverdale...seems...not ever talked about? Is there a reason for that? Riverdale Park is right next to University Park and has subway access. Yet, seems to be greatly under the radar. Any particular reason for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 PM

7 posts, read 25,148 times
Hey! I live in Mount Rainier. I am not an expert on the area. I've lived here for a year after moving from DC. And when I lived in DC I never thought about this part of town.

Mount Rainier is a good place to live. There are a bunch of detached homes, which I prefer greatly to the row houses that dominate DC. But the population of MR is anchored by two apartment complexes at the north and west sides. There is some crime associated with them, but it seems like the influence is projected outward toward DC and Hyattsville rather than inward to MR. I live down the street from both of the complexes and feel safer than I did living in eastern Capitol Hill (19th and C NE). The Mount Rainier Police are very on the ball and work in cooperation with Prince George's County Police. They respond quickly to emergency calls and interact with the community. Where I live it's about a mile to the West Hyattsville Metro - easy walking distance.

Brentwood is very similar but smaller. I live less than a block from the border with Brentwood and I wouldn't know it unless I looked on a map. Hyattsville has some nice areas but it is bigger than its neighbors except for maybe Silver Spring. So it has bad areas, too. I don't know about Riverdale or Riverdale Park or University Park except that I drive through them on my way to College Park or the BW Parkway. I think University Park is slightly more upscale. It seems sort of secluded and borders College Park. It's very close to UMD and it many restaurants and stores that cater to the college crowd.

BTW, here is my MR blog: http://mtrainiermd.blogspot.com/

Last edited by jessesamuel; 03-15-2011 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Interesting blog. I also heard that Latino is moving into Mount Rainier as well? True? Or not really. Interesting description of Mount Rainier though - the two anchors with an imbetween that seems to be left alone between two large housing project areas.

Many people coming in and fixing things up? Or not more than anywhere else?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 PM

175 posts, read 651,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting blog. I also heard that Latino is moving into Mount Rainier as well? True? Or not really. Interesting description of Mount Rainier though - the two anchors with an imbetween that seems to be left alone between two large housing project areas.

Many people coming in and fixing things up? Or not more than anywhere else?
Tons of latinos in mount rainer. Believe me i know...

what housing projects?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayards View Post
Tons of latinos in mount rainer. Believe me i know...

what housing projects?
Sorry...oops...I apologize. Just re-read the post above - apartment complexes. NOT projects.

Apologize.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 AM

9 posts, read 41,758 times
Yes there are a lot of Latinos in the areas mentioned. Mount Rainier, Brentwood, North Brentwood and Hyattsville comprise the Gateway Arts and Entertainment District and are promoting arts related business to revitalize the area. There is a high concentration of artists already living in this area due to the affordable housing and proximity to the district. The EYA "Arts District Hyattsville" is a major mixed-use development currently under construction along Rt 1, the retail portion will be completed this year and will include a Busboys and Poets, Tara Thai, Yes Organic, Elevation Burger, Chipotle and other retail. A lot of the crime that gets attributed to Hyattsville does not occur in the city of Hyattsville, but rather unincorporated areas with a Hyattsville mailing address that are outside the city limits. Mount Rainier just approved a plan to redevelop their downtown (Rt 1 and 34th St area). Mount Rainier is home to the longest running food co-op in the area, Glut, and attracts a lot of progressive and eco-minded residents because of this. Brentwood and North Brentwood are two small towns located between those two cities. The Gateway Arts Center at Brentwood contains the Brentwood Art Exchange, Prince George's African American Museum & Cultural Center (which will eventually relocate to it own facility in North Brentwood) and the 39th Street Gallery and studios. A lot of first time homebuyers are buying in this general area and fixing up homes due to the fact that there is a charming affordable housing stock and these are walkable communities with good transportation access.
University Park is a higher income area that includes a lot of UMD professors and staff. It's mostly, if not entirely, single family homes. Riverdale Park does not have a metro stop but it does have a Marc train stop. The demographics of Riverdale Park seem to be similar to the city of Hyattsville.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjb2 View Post
A lot of the crime that gets attributed to Hyattsville does not occur in the city of Hyattsville, but rather unincorporated areas with a Hyattsville mailing address that are outside the city limits.
What are the names of those places? Just to try to identify them on a map?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 AM

321 posts, read 1,125,053 times
Quote:
Pretty much any place in the northwestern part of the county that isn't an incorporated city or town uses a Hyattsville mailing address. That includes Langley Park, Chillum, Carole Highlands, Lewisdale, Landover, Woodlawn, etc.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Landover Hills, Landover, Bladensburg, Palmer Park, Chillum, Cheverly, Adelphi, parts of New Carrollton, Langley Park.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 PM

175 posts, read 651,825 times
I wouldnt say that ALL of langley park is in the hyattsville address, i know that a part of it, is silver spring. I also dont know for shure if brentwood is either...

Just my 2 sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland