Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM

52 posts, read 195,206 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to get by without a car in places like Bethesda, Rockville, Fort Washington, Frederick or Gaithersburg?

And are there any other cities or towns in MD where I can live car-free? Please let me know.

If crime is high in these areas, I would definitely want to keep my car. So I'll amend my question to : Where in MD can I live without a car and also be relatively safe?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

23 posts, read 49,749 times
Downtown Silver Spring

Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,543 times
Fort Washington has a lot to offer, but a convenient car-free or walking lifestyle is not part of the package. In my opinion, there are very few places in the DC area in which a car-free lifestyle really orks. I'd look at a few neighborhoods in DC as well as Old Town Alexandria, Ballston, Clarendon, and a few other places on the orange/blue line. Among Maryland towns near DC, you might look at Bethesda. When you start to look at specific addresses, try www.walkscore.com

Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Do you mean all of Maryland, or just the DC/Baltimore metro area?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Do you mean all of Maryland, or just the DC/Baltimore metro area?
All of Maryland.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
You can live without a car in Cumberland. Everything is within walking distance, even from the nice neighborhoods. Granted, you are separated by the nearest city of equal size by about 70 miles of mountains and forests, but inside the city, it is very walkable.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You can live without a car in Cumberland. Everything is within walking distance, even from the nice neighborhoods. Granted, you are separated by the nearest city of equal size by about 70 miles of mountains and forests, but inside the city, it is very walkable.
Thanks! How about places like Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersburg or Frederick? Do they have good public transit systems?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman23 View Post
Thanks! How about places like Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersburg or Frederick? Do they have good public transit systems?
all the places u mentioned except fedrick have good systems well connected ones. Federick is isolated!!!! click here http://wmata.com/pdfs/bus/MD.pdf and here http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co.../SystemMap.pdf if u must know federick here http://www.frederickcountymd.gov/documents/Transit/08RideGuide.PDF (broken link) by the way to get out of federick u will need greyhound which goes to baltimore or DC with several departures also greyhound goes to haggerstown and pittsburg too.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
I visited Old Greenbelt last weekend for the first time. It is a small planned community built by the WPA in the late 30s - built to be walkable. All of the housing is connected via walking paths to a town square of sorts, with a food co-op, a movie theater, bank, library, gym/rec facilities, and a few cafes.

The Metro Green Line to DC is a short bus or bike ride away (about 2 mile).

Greenbelt Homes, Inc.

I liked it. It's also not too expensive for DC. If we ever feel the need to live closer to DC, I will look there first.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
You can easily get around Gaithersburg without a car. Ride-On has plenty of bus routes throughout the city. There are parts of Gaithersburg that seem to scare people, but I have yet to see any reason for it. I went 4 months without a car here without a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland