Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 PM

32 posts, read 98,666 times

Advertisements

I'd NEVER recommend the PG County School System to anymore (Greenbelt is PG County). Just do you search on School Digger and you'll see they rank 24th out of 24 for the Maryland Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 PM

281 posts, read 807,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherdMom View Post
I'd NEVER recommend the PG County School System to anymore (Greenbelt is PG County). Just do you search on School Digger and you'll see they rank 24th out of 24 for the Maryland Counties.
I did look on schooldigger. I agree overall the PG County School System seems pretty much dead bang last on that list. BUT there were a few schools that rated higher than last and Eleanor Roosevelt is one of them - though granted with it being the science/tech magnet that likely influences the scores.

I am continuing to look at Crofton - Anne Arundel schools generally don't seem to do too badly. It is further out and def. has no form of public transportation..I worry about the commute roads in inclement weather and timeframes. It's why Columbia, while still on the list, is looking like much less likely.

The thing with MoCo is the commute to Largo - It seems, for lack of better word, potentially nasty. I am continuing to look in SS/TP though since I think for schools these are good.

I will try and get back down to Alexandria as well - if I could get real close to the beltway the commute would be tough - but not like falls church type. And it is Metro-able. It is a lot more expensive than Greenbelt and Crofton - probably closer to prices in SS.

I'll look when I'm out there next weekend. I'll come back and post what I think too to add details to the thread.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,917,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherdMom View Post
Have you ever lived in PG County? Just curious. I agree the schools are horrible, but Eleanor Roosevelt has been consistently one of the best schools in our region for decades. The school system poor performance is much more uneven across the board. There are some good schools and some really bad ones. You have to do the research to know what is better. Roosevelt is clearly one of the better ones and rivals some of the better schools in surrounding counties.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM

44,895 posts, read 59,882,454 times
The thing about Roosevelt is it, along with Flowers and Oxon Hill, cherry pick the best 8th graders for their Science and Tech programs. Take away those programs you would see those three school's scores decline and the scores of the neighborhood schools go up. Not everyone at Rossevelt is in the S&T program and the general high school has the same issues as many of the rest.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,917,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The thing about Roosevelt is it, along with Flowers and Oxon Hill, cherry pick the best 8th graders for their Science and Tech programs. Take away those programs you would see those three school's scores decline and the scores of the neighborhood schools go up. Not everyone at Rossevelt is in the S&T program and the general high school has the same issues as many of the rest.
Very true, but I think you can make the same argument about many school systems in our area. Schools are more concerned about test scores than anything. TJ High School in Alexandria, cherry picks their kids from most of the NoVA counties so it's no wonder it's regarded as a top high school in the nation. At the end of the day, school is a business and most are going to do what they can to make themselves look good.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 AM

I just wanted to update that I called Roosevelt and I am extremely unimpressed. Maybe I just got the wrong person on an off day (maybe she doesn't want to be at work on Monday) but talking to her was no different than an automated system. Bland, clearly bored, monotone voice, and not at all interested in helping. The guidance office - if she comes off that way to me how will she help my kid???

Contrast this with Fairfax High School where I had 6 emails back to my one email regarding my daughter from people that seemed truly interested in her and/or enthusiastic about their jobs.

This is disturbing and making me rethink Crofton or a longer commute from VA. At the end of the day it's just time and its temporary - my daughter is only in high school for 4 years.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,419,446 times
If you are looking at Roosevelt, be aware that there is the competitive and challenging science and tech program, which students test into. There is also the regular, comprehensive program. I understand that you may not want to continue the gifted and talented education for your daughter, but you may want to consider having her test into the Roosevelt program. A lot of people like the Greenbelt Homes, Inc. housing co-op nearby, and there are other apartments as well.

I hear good things about Bowie High. It also has a college prep program (Summit), and a regular program. There are probably some townhouses and single family houses for rent nearby.

I don't know anything about the foreign languages each school provides. There is diversity at both of these schools. The drive to Largo (especially from Bowie) is very easy either way.

The drive from Crofton wouldn't be bad either. I don't know anything about their high schools but I hear they are good.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks Bowian

I checked and the Summit program requires an examination they have already given. You have to test into it. We have passed the deadline and it is a 4 year program.

I think I'll look more in Crofton since Townhomes seem to be reasonable there and the commute doesn't seem too bad to me unless it's bad weather in which case I guess I just deal with it..I'll have to anyway LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland