Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You're correct but the area my mom lives in is also called Camp Springs as well. Camp Springs incorporates Temple Hills and Suitland.

The specific areas or developments that you mentioned are not that nice. The apartments near Branch Ave are a little over priced and has mixed to negative reviews on apartment ratings.

Camp Springs, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, it's confusing that they consider that Camp Springs. To me, I've heard that area being called, Allentown, Fort Washington, or Temple Hills. Where you are talking about is relatively safe, but there isn't really anything there that would meet the OP's friend criteria. It's a lot of SFHs and very little restaurants and what not. If he's looking for a lot more to do, then that area definitely isn't it because it can be very bland, no offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 PM

19 posts, read 55,145 times
Thanks very much for everyone's opinion. My friend has decided he would like to live in Alexandria based on what we've read online. I'm suggesting that he at least look at a place or two in Upper Marlboro since that is closer to his job at Andrews Air Force Base.

We are planning to view the area this weekend.

Thank you to everyone who responded!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 16,111 times
Default Don't talk about Branch Ave. Station neighborhood without knowing what you're talking about

I hate people who comment on an area and have not lived there. I go in and out of branch an average of five days a week, sometimes at 2 a.m. have walked home. Ugh! I live here. I know how nice the places is, I know the crime here has been people stealing nice tires/rims off cars. I know we now have night security. I know I enjoy my neighbors, am respected by the kids and that when we need help (getting something in or out of the car, for example) people step up without being asked. This is a neighborhood, people, and unless you live here don't talk about what you don't know.

[quote=meatkins;19492974]I've always known the Brinkley Road/Temple Hills Road area to be Temple Hills not Camp Springs. I'm talking about near Branch Avenue, Auth Road as the Camp Springs area. That area has been sketchy for a while. I work in Suitland which of course shares the same zip code as Camp Springs and I've had co-workers that have told me stories of why they moved from that area. I also used to visit my family that lived over there near St. Phillips and witnessed that area declining for a while. There are some not so savory places there like The Courts of Camp Springs. Not to mention the Branch Avenue Metro station is among the most dangerous. I don't care how nice those townhomes are, they have done nothing to fix the crime over there.[/quote

Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 16,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira5 View Post
Thanks very much for everyone's opinion. My friend has decided he would like to live in Alexandria based on what we've read online. I'm suggesting that he at least look at a place or two in Upper Marlboro since that is closer to his job at Andrews Air Force Base.

We are planning to view the area this weekend.

Thank you to everyone who responded!
If your friend hasn't found something already, here is my take on Chelsea West, and I live here so I know what I'm talking about as opposed to others who do not live here and are commenting on things they do not have direct knowledge about:

To anyone who is looking at this complex, please disregard the information about high crime, etc. I believe that people say that because of the racial demographics, not because they live in this neighborhood and in this apartment complex. And before anyone gets their panties in a twist, I am white. And rather than would someone's friend stay or move in again, here are some details so you can make up your own mind.

I love this complex for many reasons.
* It is quiet.
* It is dog friendly, and the dogs are all friendly.
* People say hello, even if they don't know you.
* The kids are well behaved and respectful.
* It is a very short walk to the Metro, even in rain or snow. People coming in from Reagan or Union Station can catch Metro to here without a problem.
* Despite short walks, neighbors who see you walking will give you a lift if is raining, snowing or very hot.
* The road is a loop around the Metro, so unless someone gets lost, little traffic.
* Indoor pool is nice, although I wish Maryland law would allow it to be open year-round without a lifeguard.
* Emergency power works fine (only one in our two years here was it needed, and it was a major, major outage in the area).
* Stainless steal appliances; gas stove; side-by-side refrigerator
* Wonder master bath with shower/tub and separate shower
* Master bedroom has walk-in closet and separate linen closet.
* Both of our bathrooms have linen closets.
* Our third bedroom has a smaller walk-in closet but still a nice size.
* Lots of windows.
* Lots of power/cable/phone plugs.
* Decent storage (although I would redesign the kitchen and add outdoor storage unit)
* Excellent parking in garage.
* Excellent dog walking sidewalks/streets
* Nice office amenities, including they get packages and notify you that they are there. We also can use the fax, etc.
* Pay rent online and request maintenance online.
* Full-size stackable washer/dryer with extra room in the laundry area to story vacuum, etc.
* Close to Andrews Air Force Base (and a lot of fun during Air Shows, which is when there is a lot of noice. Otherwise, you don't really know it's around).
* 15 minutes from the National Harbor, which has some fantastic restaurants and a few places to shop, including Fire and Ice, which is great.
* 30 minutes from Waldorf; 20 minutes form CostCo in Brandywine and 25 minutes from Costco near Pentagon City
* 15-20 minutes to D.C. with no traffic; 20-40 minutes with traffic; 30-60 minutes when people go crazy and cause traffic problems. My average commute in a car has been 30 minutes during the week.
* 5 minutes from the Beltway
* 5 minutes from a grocery store and Macy's (although a small one)

What I don't like about the place:
* The cabinetry could be better quality.
* The builder cut some corners, which the management is now paying for (such as the cabinets).
* Instead of light beige carpeting and tile, they should have put in sound-reducing wood floors.
* Low lighting in the hallways.
* Patio is big enough for two chairs and a small side table.
* No place to store bikes except in the apartment (or on patio if you are on other than ground-level floors).
* No place to secure things like mopeds.
* Changing management company/complex managers happened at least four times in the last two years -- although I must say that we recently had a complete changing of the guard and issues I have been trying to get fixed for one year were fixed in one day with the new regime. If they keep that team here, maintenance has hope.
* We had a problem with thugs taking complete tires that had the most expensive rims on them. They would leave the cars up on blocks. NOW WE HAVE OVERNIGHT GUARDS AND LOTS OF SECURITY FOR THAT REASON, SO DON'T LET THIS DISTRACT YOU.
* Our street is not recognized by Google maps and it seems delivery services around here live and breathe by Google even when we provide them with better directions.
* Excellent parking that you have to pay for, so that means many people go on the cheap and park in visitor slots, which ticks me off. They really should include parking in the price so we can have the guest slots. We and others entertain a lot.
* We came from a complex where there were six resident parties a year. This one has very few and they are ill-advertised or conceived.
* The newsletter seems like it is produced by national headquarters and is not relevant to where we live. I could really solve their problem, but they haven't asked.
* The apartments meet minimum American Disability Act requirements but are not easy to maneuver (because of the carpeting) or accessible to people who use more extensive motorized assistive devices. They also told us to pay for the bathroom improvements. I refused. They didn't push the issue. The bigger issues of mobility is getting into the bedrooms. Look at the layouts and you will understand if you use devices. You can do it, but it's not easy. Again, minor modifications during the building of the place and it would have been perfect. But, obviously, they didn't care to make every apartment accessible, which would have given them a much higher rating.

So, if people in the know want to add to this list, then go for it. But at least be specific and don't generalize. I've lived in many apartments, and I could give bad reviews to all of them. I prefer to be fair and state what I feel are good things and what I feel are things that can be improved. And, no, I don't work for this company. I'm a federal employee.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoz View Post
If your friend hasn't found something already, here is my take on Chelsea West, and I live here so I know what I'm talking about as opposed to others who do not live here and are commenting on things they do not have direct knowledge about:

To anyone who is looking at this complex, please disregard the information about high crime, etc. I believe that people say that because of the racial demographics, not because they live in this neighborhood and in this apartment complex. And before anyone gets their panties in a twist, I am white. And rather than would someone's friend stay or move in again, here are some details so you can make up your own mind.

I love this complex for many reasons.
* It is quiet.
* It is dog friendly, and the dogs are all friendly.
* People say hello, even if they don't know you.
* The kids are well behaved and respectful.
* It is a very short walk to the Metro, even in rain or snow. People coming in from Reagan or Union Station can catch Metro to here without a problem.
* Despite short walks, neighbors who see you walking will give you a lift if is raining, snowing or very hot.
* The road is a loop around the Metro, so unless someone gets lost, little traffic.
* Indoor pool is nice, although I wish Maryland law would allow it to be open year-round without a lifeguard.
* Emergency power works fine (only one in our two years here was it needed, and it was a major, major outage in the area).
* Stainless steal appliances; gas stove; side-by-side refrigerator
* Wonder master bath with shower/tub and separate shower
* Master bedroom has walk-in closet and separate linen closet.
* Both of our bathrooms have linen closets.
* Our third bedroom has a smaller walk-in closet but still a nice size.
* Lots of windows.
* Lots of power/cable/phone plugs.
* Decent storage (although I would redesign the kitchen and add outdoor storage unit)
* Excellent parking in garage.
* Excellent dog walking sidewalks/streets
* Nice office amenities, including they get packages and notify you that they are there. We also can use the fax, etc.
* Pay rent online and request maintenance online.
* Full-size stackable washer/dryer with extra room in the laundry area to story vacuum, etc.
* Close to Andrews Air Force Base (and a lot of fun during Air Shows, which is when there is a lot of noice. Otherwise, you don't really know it's around).
* 15 minutes from the National Harbor, which has some fantastic restaurants and a few places to shop, including Fire and Ice, which is great.
* 30 minutes from Waldorf; 20 minutes form CostCo in Brandywine and 25 minutes from Costco near Pentagon City
* 15-20 minutes to D.C. with no traffic; 20-40 minutes with traffic; 30-60 minutes when people go crazy and cause traffic problems. My average commute in a car has been 30 minutes during the week.
* 5 minutes from the Beltway
* 5 minutes from a grocery store and Macy's (although a small one)

What I don't like about the place:
* The cabinetry could be better quality.
* The builder cut some corners, which the management is now paying for (such as the cabinets).
* Instead of light beige carpeting and tile, they should have put in sound-reducing wood floors.
* Low lighting in the hallways.
* Patio is big enough for two chairs and a small side table.
* No place to store bikes except in the apartment (or on patio if you are on other than ground-level floors).
* No place to secure things like mopeds.
* Changing management company/complex managers happened at least four times in the last two years -- although I must say that we recently had a complete changing of the guard and issues I have been trying to get fixed for one year were fixed in one day with the new regime. If they keep that team here, maintenance has hope.
* We had a problem with thugs taking complete tires that had the most expensive rims on them. They would leave the cars up on blocks. NOW WE HAVE OVERNIGHT GUARDS AND LOTS OF SECURITY FOR THAT REASON, SO DON'T LET THIS DISTRACT YOU.
* Our street is not recognized by Google maps and it seems delivery services around here live and breathe by Google even when we provide them with better directions.
* Excellent parking that you have to pay for, so that means many people go on the cheap and park in visitor slots, which ticks me off. They really should include parking in the price so we can have the guest slots. We and others entertain a lot.
* We came from a complex where there were six resident parties a year. This one has very few and they are ill-advertised or conceived.
* The newsletter seems like it is produced by national headquarters and is not relevant to where we live. I could really solve their problem, but they haven't asked.
* The apartments meet minimum American Disability Act requirements but are not easy to maneuver (because of the carpeting) or accessible to people who use more extensive motorized assistive devices. They also told us to pay for the bathroom improvements. I refused. They didn't push the issue. The bigger issues of mobility is getting into the bedrooms. Look at the layouts and you will understand if you use devices. You can do it, but it's not easy. Again, minor modifications during the building of the place and it would have been perfect. But, obviously, they didn't care to make every apartment accessible, which would have given them a much higher rating.

So, if people in the know want to add to this list, then go for it. But at least be specific and don't generalize. I've lived in many apartments, and I could give bad reviews to all of them. I prefer to be fair and state what I feel are good things and what I feel are things that can be improved. And, no, I don't work for this company. I'm a federal employee.
I think Chelsea West is probably one of the better values in the region. It will definitely be on my list when I go apt shopping.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
I hate people who comment on an area and have not lived there. I go in and out of branch an average of five days a week, sometimes at 2 a.m. have walked home. Ugh! I live here. I know how nice the places is, I know the crime here has been people stealing nice tires/rims off cars. I know we now have night security. I know I enjoy my neighbors, am respected by the kids and that when we need help (getting something in or out of the car, for example) people step up without being asked. This is a neighborhood, people, and unless you live here don't talk about what you don't know.

Chelsea West is across the street from St. Phillips. How can Chelsea West be fine but that area unsavory?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Excuse me, do I know you? Apparently you must know my life story and know if I know anything about that area. I never generalized the whole area, I spoke about specific places that I KNOW FOR A FACT aren't safe. Instead of getting defensive about information, perhaps you should read a newspaper. Branch Avenue Metro Station being amongst the most dangerous is not just some hearsay (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/02/crime-surges-metro-system - broken link), it is a fact.

And if you know that there is crime then why are you complaining about someone mentioning that THERE IS CRIME!!!! Am I not telling the truth? Isn't that what matters? Do you really know that I haven't live there? Do you really know that I don't have a property there? Do you know anything about me, really? Really?

I get tired of people on here crying and complaining just to complain when you tell the truth about their neighborhood but don't like it when they don't think you have a right to say it. IS IT THE TRUTH???? IS IT TRUTH? That's all that should matter whether I live there or not.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 AM

19 posts, read 55,145 times
Thank you very much to all of the good people who took the time to help us out. My friend has rented a place in Alexandria. He says that the commute to work is very easy and so far he is pleased with his decision.

Thank you again!

Old 06-24-2015, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 949 times
Default Camp Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wait a minute Camp Springs is not a bad area. My mother lives in the Brinkley Rd/Temple Hills Rd area. It's nothing but single family homes on The folks are middle class and take care of their properties.

I only mention this because folks tend to think every area inside or near the beltway in PG is all Black,poverty stricken areas with a smattering of Hispanics, but the area still has quite a few white residents. You can't beat the proximity to the Beltway, commute into DC, or even catching the Branch Ave Metro.

Hello I am African American, and I am relocating from Alabama to teach in DCPS. I like the Tribeca Condos I viewed online. Your response about the Camp Springs area and PG county captured my attention. Just because your Black does not automatically mean you are broke or not intelligent. I was also concerned about the area. I do not want to live around a crime stricken area or a lot of poverty. Of course the more poverty the higher the crime rate. Im from Alabama where most whites live in rural impoverished areas. However I have always heard that Maryland, especially Montgomery County was a Black affluent area in the US. Seems as if African Americans in the DMV areas are doing extremely well; above average in the entire country.

My first location is Kensington Park area in Silver Springs, and Second choice is Camp Springs. I would like to come home to a not so crowded area, but still have the convenience of shopping, and maybe a movie theater. What are some good grocery stores in the area? My favorite is Publix.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstasha View Post
Hello I am African American, and I am relocating from Alabama to teach in DCPS. I like the Tribeca Condos I viewed online. Your response about the Camp Springs area and PG county captured my attention. Just because your Black does not automatically mean you are broke or not intelligent. I was also concerned about the area. I do not want to live around a crime stricken area or a lot of poverty. Of course the more poverty the higher the crime rate. Im from Alabama where most whites live in rural impoverished areas. However I have always heard that Maryland, especially Montgomery County was a Black affluent area in the US. Seems as if African Americans in the DMV areas are doing extremely well; above average in the entire country.

My first location is Kensington Park area in Silver Springs, and Second choice is Camp Springs. I would like to come home to a not so crowded area, but still have the convenience of shopping, and maybe a movie theater. What are some good grocery stores in the area? My favorite is Publix.
I don't know much about Camp Springs so I'll leave it to others to guide you there, but judging by what you said about crime and poverty I think you can find another area you'd prefer. Camp Springs is in the bottom half of the poorest county in the region. There's a fairly big difference between Silver Spring and Camp Springs.

Some general observations.

Camp Springs is in Prince George's County, not Montgomery.
Montgomery is wealthy, and has a black population of I would guess somewhere in the 15-25% range.
Many teachers, police officers, fire fighters etc. struggle to pay MoCo rental prices.

Prince George's county is about 60% black. Both counties also have maybe 15% Hispanic. Prince George's is at one and the same time, both the wealthiest majority black county in the US, and the poorest county in the Washington Metro. I'm sure someone will correct those percentages.
Since you appear to be not very familiar with the area, you might do well to find some temporary accommodation for a month or two, if you plan to stay in the area for more than one school year.

Publix is not in this market. Giant and Safeway are old conservative traditionalists. Harris Teeter (Kroger) is on a fast expansion here. Plus there are several Wegmans. Aint nuthin like a Wegmans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland