Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstasha View Post
Hello I am African American, and I am relocating from Alabama to teach in DCPS. I like the Tribeca Condos I viewed online. Your response about the Camp Springs area and PG county captured my attention. Just because your Black does not automatically mean you are broke or not intelligent. I was also concerned about the area. I do not want to live around a crime stricken area or a lot of poverty. Of course the more poverty the higher the crime rate. Im from Alabama where most whites live in rural impoverished areas. However I have always heard that Maryland, especially Montgomery County was a Black affluent area in the US. Seems as if African Americans in the DMV areas are doing extremely well; above average in the entire country.

My first location is Kensington Park area in Silver Springs, and Second choice is Camp Springs. I would like to come home to a not so crowded area, but still have the convenience of shopping, and maybe a movie theater. What are some good grocery stores in the area? My favorite is Publix.
The Tribeca Condos might actually be an issue, I've heard there have been some car thefts and other nuisance crimes. It is by the Metro although there are no grocery stores in walking distance. I prefer Wegmans but if I can't get to them I'll just do Safeway or Shoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 01:41 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
What's funny?

Camp Springs is far more than what has been pointed to here. It was given the Temple Hills zip code years ago which brought the area down to hell level yet abuts FW, Clinton, Suitland and Oxon Hill.

I don' know what is Camp Springs any longer just as I no longer know where the boundaries for Upper Marlboro, Clinton and FW begin/end. The boundaries seemingly change every so often to make hem more attractive or to change up the voter district lines - I suspect the latter. A friend of mine told me his new election polling location is in Suitland rather than the place he had been going for decades.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 PM

84 posts, read 77,479 times
I notice on these boards any place with a lotta minorities = bad area

Camp Springs is a nice area..........dont let anybody tell you otherwise.....

Old 07-07-2015, 12:31 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You're correct but the area my mom lives in is also called Camp Springs as well. Camp Springs incorporates Temple Hills and Suitland.

The specific areas or developments that you mentioned are not that nice. The apartments near Branch Ave are a little over priced and has mixed to negative reviews on apartment ratings.

Camp Springs, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Temple Hills incorporates Camp Springs and Suitland. I live a few blocks from Crossland and my area is known as Ft Washington. All of the official naming of areas was madness during the housing boom of the 2000s to ensure people moved to "nice" areas. I can tell little difference between much of Camp Springs west of Branch Ave and the neighborhoods along Allentown Road to Tucker Road. North of that is Oxon Hill and that is noticeable. There must be something in the water.

The article didn't mention Pyles was located at Redd's Corner or Crossland was at Padgett's Corner, both named for the large plots of land the families owned. I am familiar with one of the families. I've always associated Temple Hills with inside the Beltway along with Marlow Heights and the other ghetto stuff along Branch Ave. The post office bearing the zip code is there. Where is Rosecroft? Oxon Hill as is NH?

It gets confusing as the wrong zip code unfortunately defines who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland