U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 15,162 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are taking a hard look at the new Poplar Run planned community being built in the Glenmont area of Silver Spring, off of Layhill Rd. We are looking to purchase a single family home. The Poplar Run community is located directly across the street from the Barrie School. We like the diversity of the area and the reasonable accesibility to D.C. We currently live in PG County and want to move to MoCo to access better public schools for our 4 year-old.

So, here are my questions --
1.) Whats the buzz on this new community? Are people in that area talking about it in a positive way?
2.) With starting (single family) home prices in the high 500's/low 600's, it seems like the community will attract a solid socio-economic base. Do you agree?
3.)Anyone have any thoughts or feedback on Glenallen Elementary School? I researched the the MoCo School Board has authorized a new building for the school, due to open in 2013. Seems right on time, because the current bldg looks quite run down. The test scores are not amazing for this school, but it seems like MoCo supports ALL of its schools and even the worst school in MoCo is better thant the best school in PG. Thoughts?

And overall, I welcome any feedback you have about this location (safety, traffic, schools, community, etc). We are also looking at the Tivoli neighborhood in that same area, which is a well established and older community.

Thx!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 AM

5 posts, read 19,908 times
Default these are also my questions

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 AM

12,425 posts, read 23,497,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forevertaurus View Post
And overall, I welcome any feedback you have about this location (safety, traffic, schools, community, etc). We are also looking at the Tivoli neighborhood in that same area, which is a well established and older community.
I moved away from the area, so I don't have "the buzz", but I think it's a good use of the property. Winchester is the builder, and they do a good job. You are right that with prices in the upper $500K, you will have affluent neighbors. I would expect many buyers to be Asians, as well as well-off whites and blacks. It may take the development a long time to build out, as most people will have to sell existing houses.

As far as Glenallen School goes, the achievement scores are lower because it has kids from immigrant families in the apartments nearby. Similarly, JFK High School does not have the greatest reputation. It is a school with a large minority population, and there have been fights. The website mentions the "space permitting, down-county consortium" which would give better schools. Your kids would be the among the most affluent ones in the schools.

The Tivoli neighborhood would have the same issues with schools.

Regarding crime, we lived nearby in Kemp Mill and never had a problem.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-01-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM

22,957 posts, read 24,039,337 times
Poplar Run is nice. Until recently, it used to be a golf course area. Two of its big advantages is proximity to the Glenmont metro station as well as to the newly opened ICC.

You won't have to worry about crime in the immediate area. However, just a mile away near the Glenmont shopping center is more crime due to lower income immigrant communities. You just have to use some street smarts.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-01-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,657,369 times
It is true that even the "bad" Montgomery County schools are decent. I'm not sure if your kids would end up at Wheaton or JFK High School. theyre the 2 worst high schools in Montgomery County by a huge margin. You should check the high school they will end up at, I may be wrong but thats right by there. I would move somewhere better like Rockville.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm not sure if your kids would end up at Wheaton or JFK High School.
The Poplar Run website said John F Kennedy HS. Once the 773 homes are filled in Poplar Run, those kids could change the demographics at Kennedy for the better. However, you gave the questioners something to think about.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,657,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Poplar Run website said John F Kennedy HS. Once the 773 homes are filled in Poplar Run, those kids could change the demographics at Kennedy for the better. However, you gave the questioners something to think about.
Wow that's insane, I didn't realize it was going to be that many houses. I'd have to change my assessment. Also their kid is pretty young, I could see Glenmont undergoing gentrification at some point in the future although judging by how it is now with no real development in the Glenmont Shopping Center, Id say its a long way off.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Here's a reference to a blogger's view of Poplar Run and Tivoli:
just up the pike: indian spring redevelopment ties surrounding neighborhoods together

I have a correction: Poplar Run would use Bel Pre Elementary rather than Glenallen. It would use Argyle Middle School and JF Kennedy High School.

Obviously, 773 new houses will have an impact on the schools, so they may redraw boundaries and look at expanding the schools. (The mix is about 400 SFH's and 300 townhouses.)

The traffic situation will not be good. The exit out of Poplar Run is onto Layhill Road which is already congested. Eventually Poplar Run will exit into Tivoli Lake Blvd to provide access to Randolph Road, but I don't know when that will happen. There was discussion that Winchester Homes would pay for extending the #31 Ride-On bus into Poplar Run, providing access to the Glenmont Metro. If it happens, that would help, as the parking at Glenmont fills up quickly.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM

22,957 posts, read 24,039,337 times
Really, the biggest issue with living in the Poplar Run community is going to be whether you'll be comfortable with sending your kids to the same school with kids of lower income immigrant families that live in apartments nearby. If you can deal with that, then you'll be fine.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM

52 posts, read 138,453 times
I too took a "hard" look at Poplar Run (the builder gave me a tour when the access road was nearly impassable; we had to use his Range Rover to get in) in spring 2010. Other than having to wait until January 2011 to move in (and that was the best estimate), my concerns were the following:

--The Poplar Run development is going to have MANY homes. Traffic is going to be awful. The TIVOLI community apparently isn't happy that the two communities will be connected, eventually.

--The construction will last until about 2020.

--Inside Poplar Run will be nice. But OUTSIDE Poplar Run, the area looks less affluent. Take a closer look at the neighborhoods in the area (outside of Parker Farm), particularly off Bel Pre and Layhill Roads. Furthermore, the shopping center (Mercado) has had some crime issues lately. Crime stats for that area concerned me, generally.

--You are surrounded by Glenmont to the south and west (no great basic shopping options), Aspen Hill to the west (ditto, add safety concerns).

--The ICC is nearby (that could be a positive or negative)

--The area overall has an older (late 60s-80s) suburban housing stock and the surrounding neighborhoods look spotty.

--JFKennedy High is not a good one. I wouldn't count on the residents of Poplar Run moving there and sending their kids to public school to turn Kennedy--or any public school in that area--around.

You definitely get more for your money in the Glenmont/Layhill area. And you get space. But, I don't see the county trying to develop, or re-develop, that area (look at the plans for the area at the planning commission). The schools are not great, and crime is a real concern.

If you are looking for an affordable home with some land and/or a newer home in areas of MoCo that may be stable or not on the downslide, I would look at the newer developments in Silver Spring (west of New Hampshire Ave.) near Blake HS, Olney, Sandy Spring, Kemp Mill (there are nicer, wooded areas not far from the side of the Wheaton park with the horse stables), and some parts of Rockville (west of 270/Shady Grove area). I would seriously think about whether I wanted to plunk $500K+ plus into Glenmont/Layhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland