Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In favor of the pitbull ban in Prince George County?
In favor of the ban 59 52.21%
Against the ban 54 47.79%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

The pit bull ban of Prince George County - in favor of it?

I was just reading it was one of the strictest in the nation. Just curious if there certain incidents that happened that encouraged that legislation and what Marylanders think about it, etc.

Prince George residents...or other Marylanders (or anyone really) about whether if its good that PG banned them or not, etc.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-09-2011 at 05:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Pitbulls are a breed of dogs that can be nice or mean based on how they are raised......just like other breeds. If you ban Pitbulls, people that want big scary dogs will just go buy German Shepherds or Dobermans. Then what, ban them too?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the thought of living next to a big dog, that if decides to bite will take an arm off with him, but it is really the owners of the vicious dog that are the threat. Let's just enforce existing laws, prosectute alleged criminals to the fullest extent of the law, then incarerate them as long as the law allows. The vicious dog problem will go away with them.

But....I don't live in PG county, so this is just my two cents, you guys down there can do what you want

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
I'm in favor. Not necessarily because of the breed but because of the thugs who have made the breed a part of their drug-dealing gansta lifestyle. Some people think having an aggressive power dog is cool. The problem is that the dogs are mistreated. Enforcing the pre-existing laws has not helped, hence the breed-specific ban.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM

331 posts, read 1,198,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I'm in favor. Not necessarily because of the breed but because of the thugs who have made the breed a part of their drug-dealing gansta lifestyle. Some people think having an aggressive power dog is cool. The problem is that the dogs are mistreated. Enforcing the pre-existing laws has not helped, hence the breed-specific ban.
Yeah I agree. It's not cool for the gangstas to even be seen with a German Shepherd.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Banning pit bulls is akin to the effort to ban the "Saturday Night Special" handguns in the 80's.
The underlying intent is reasonable... but the method misses the larger problem.
And will ultimately be shown to create different and very possible even worse problems.

People who are inclined to breed and train dogs for fighting... don't care about laws.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM

68 posts, read 122,038 times
Default Attack dog vs Watch dog

I'm torn on this issue. Pits are a dumb breed bred mostly for baiting bulls (biting on to the nose of a bull until the bull collapses from suffocation). Is this really a dog you want in a metropolitan area where few people properly train and socialize their dogs. Unfortunately if you ban pits everyone runs out and gets a Presa Canario, Mastiffs, or other hyper aggressive/powerful dogs so the ban doesn't do much unless you ban all aggressive attack/war dogs.

I also realize that making anything illegal almost always creates a criminal element and those who fight dogs typically do it anyways whether it is legal or not. Instead of banning I'd encourage the following.

1) Mandatory registration of the dog
2) Annual behavior check up to make sure the dog is socialized and trained
3) Annual inspection of the dogs living quarters

The above would also discourage responsible owners obtaining pits with dirty blood lines or fighting dogs.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
This ban seems like more of a slap in the face to the people of pg county and not the dogs. A pit bull is one of the kindest sweetest dogs if it is not raised by an animal itself.

Pit bulls are a huge part of the yuppy neighborhoods of Baltimore, and they cause zero problems, because they are treated as dogs, not weapons.

I don't know what's worse the ignorance of their politicians, or the actions of the citizens that led to this. I guess it could be worse, it could be AA county where it is okay to shoot someone else's pit bull.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times
And for the record, more toy breeds (Yorkies, Chiuahas, Cocker Spaniels, etc) are responisble for the majority of actual dog bites each year- Not pitties!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 PM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
And for the record, more toy breeds (Yorkies, Chiuahas, Cocker Spaniels, etc) are responisble for the majority of actual dog bites each year- Not pitties!
So true, most little dogs have a serious Napoleon complex. But when they bite, they don't take limbs off......

Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
To answer one of the original questions, yes, the ban was imposed in response to numerous incidents of the dogs attacking people and othe animals, along with intentional occurrences of planned dog fights. Bowian touched on the gangsta aspect of ownership, that's there, too.

In reality the ban is likely observed more in the continued violation of it than the observance of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland