Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM

60 posts, read 102,574 times

Advertisements

I have looked at all of the rental sites and craigslist and found minimal options. I am looking for 3 a bedroom house for myself and my wife. We don't have any kids but have a dog. My new job is not paying much so I will not be able to go much higher given it might take her a while to find a job. My job will be at 1875 Connecticut Avenue Northwest half way between howard and georgetown. I would hope to commute less than an hour if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 PM

70 posts, read 198,090 times
No.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,920,336 times
That's not a realistic price range, you won't even find a 3 bedroom apartment in that price range, much less a house. And unless you live in a bad area, you probably wouldn't even get a 1 bedroom apartment for $1200 or less. Let's break this down a little. Do you really need a house or is that a want? Judging from where your job is located, it is not out of the realm for you to take the metro to work and depending on who you work for, they may cover most of those expenses which would save you money. Given your price range, I'm thinking you can probably get an apartment in Alexandria (near Huntington) or get an apartment in Greenbelt that is close to your price range. That is the best I can think of, but need more info. What is your minimum requirements (bedrooms, square footage, commuting time)

Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 PM

281 posts, read 808,059 times
I'd have to echo Meatkins - I've been looking for 3 months and have never really seen a 3 bdr house for $1200 in the DC area. I have in areas of Baltimore but that's not a commute that's reasonable.

It might exist but I'd be more than suspicious of the area in DC. Maybe in some of the up and coming areas - maybe someone has more info.

I think you probably need to think about a 1 to 2 bdr apartment.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:54 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,647,487 times
There are income restricted apartments, however, they cost a little more than $1200. . Houses will cost more. Check this site out: Affordable Apartment Program | KETTLER - Apartments, Condos, Planned Communities, and Mixed-Use/Commercial Properties in the Greater Washington, DC-metro region (http://www.kettler.com/apartments/affordable_apartments_program/ - broken link)

Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 AM

429 posts, read 1,158,912 times
PG is more affordable than many other parts of the area, but I really don't think that you're going to find a three bedroom house with a yard in a safe area with a reasonable commute to downtown DC for $1200 a month. I understand why you need to keep your rent down until your wife finds work, though. Have you considered getting a one-bedroom apartment on a temporary basis until your wife finds a job? In the meantime, you could scope out neighborhoods and houses that would work for you on a more permanent basis. Once your wife has an income, you could find the kind of property you're looking for in PG for at a cost that is pretty reasonable for the area.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:10 PM

1,759 posts, read 5,119,081 times
Unfortunately that would be a very difficult price to work with. Not impossible but very difficult. With fewer buyers, the rental market has really gotten out of hand. In most cases, the monthly cost to purchase is actually significantly lower (typically hundreds) for a comparable home as a rental.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:28 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,338,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimo734 View Post
I have looked at all of the rental sites and craigslist and found minimal options. I am looking for 3 a bedroom house for myself and my wife. We don't have any kids but have a dog. My new job is not paying much so I will not be able to go much higher given it might take her a while to find a job. My job will be at 1875 Connecticut Avenue Northwest half way between howard and georgetown. I would hope to commute less than an hour if possible.
Does it have to be a single family? A 3 Br?

Look into PG and Waldorf you could probably get a townhouse for that much. You'll see some for $1400+ but private small landlords tend to be more negotiable especially if you are perceived as a good tenent (ie steady job, good credit, no pets etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland