Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,349,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
You know, I've noticed that we never like to hold our politicians accountable whenever they do wrong. I'm not saying we all do it, but it seems like the black community just seems to sweep these things under the rug. I don't know if it's because we want to protect our "own" or if it's because we don't want to challenge the status quo but it really needs to change.

Sorry if thread necromancy is forbidden.
I know what you are talking about. The black community seems to have a high tolerance of ethics and even criminal lapses from their black politicians. The politicians know this and when confronted with wrongdoing will play the race card. I suspect the mayor of Trenton is doing something similar as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:28 PM

7,071 posts, read 9,507,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I know what you are talking about. The black community seems to have a high tolerance of ethics and even criminal lapses from their black politicians. The politicians know this and when confronted with wrongdoing will play the race card. I suspect the mayor of Trenton is doing something similar as we speak.
I look at it this way. From another perspective. I'm not saying I agree one way or the other. But think about if McCain and Palin won the White House. And McCain was for some reason impeached or more probably, died. PEople would shudder to think that Palin would take his place. PEople voted for politicians because they thought they were the best representation of what they wanted for their community. They consider the alternatives as non-negotiable. So they stick behind who they voted for even through the wrongdoing. What we need are more capable people to stand up and choose to be public servants. The pool is small as it is. But no one wants to take the risks. So the same players circulate through government holding different positions until someone new challenges them. We need fresh qualified and capable politicians to choose from.

Those that are in office now have little or no challengers. No wonder they can act a fool.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,386,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I just happened to go over to the Gazette a few moments ago and I read one of the Opinion articles that was talking about a particular candidate (not) doing their job. Here is a snippet of what I read:

I'm sorry but I keep hearing this far too often in this county. People are getting voted for because they look good, or that they say all the right things, or that they look like them. I believe this mentality is killing this county in so many ways. We have people like this woman who are blindly voting for candidates without any consideration of their track record, their stances on important political issues, or at least an idea of what plans they have to fix the issues within our community.

To look at these candidates as our 'superheroes' is unhealthy and unrealistic. There is no way possible for these candidates to please every citizen but at the same time we should at least expect the ones that we voted for to have some type of game plan. Am I the only one that sees this as THE major problem here?
You are not the only one that is seeing this issue......

Well before I cast my vote I definitely research the Candidate's Political Track Record History..................

Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I went to a coffee talk with Rep. Donna Edwards a few months ago at Largo and frankly I was startled at the turnout. I'd say about 30 people showed which is more than I expected. Although she mentioned her next stop was in Silver Spring and that the crowd would be larger.

Anyway the folks, all Black, seemed engaged and up to date on current events. So there are people who look a little deeper into their candidates even in PG.
Despite the attention Edwards receives I still believe that Al Wynn was a better Representative than Edwards...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I hate Donna Edwards for personal reasons.
I am definitely not fond of that Edwards character......

Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Hate is such a strong word. Please, if you can, tell us what your problem is with her.
My issue with Edwards is that she did not support the National Harbor, and she did not support the relocation of the FDA to White Oak.........

Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
You know, I've noticed that we never like to hold our politicians accountable whenever they do wrong. I'm not saying we all do it, but it seems like the black community just seems to sweep these things under the rug. I don't know if it's because we want to protect our "own" or if it's because we don't want to challenge the status quo but it really needs to change.

Sorry if thread necromancy is forbidden.
Thats because they are afraid of sounding hypocritical to go against anyone that is a Democrat but if O'Malley, the PG County Council/Montgomery County Council, and Reps. from the DC/Maryland Suburbs were All Republican the same voters would be Severely trashing them like they were children of the Devil.....

Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,930,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I look at it this way. From another perspective. I'm not saying I agree one way or the other. But think about if McCain and Palin won the White House. And McCain was for some reason impeached or more probably, died. PEople would shudder to think that Palin would take his place. PEople voted for politicians because they thought they were the best representation of what they wanted for their community. They consider the alternatives as non-negotiable. So they stick behind who they voted for even through the wrongdoing. What we need are more capable people to stand up and choose to be public servants. The pool is small as it is. But no one wants to take the risks. So the same players circulate through government holding different positions until someone new challenges them. We need fresh qualified and capable politicians to choose from.

Those that are in office now have little or no challengers. No wonder they can act a fool.
I hear you and I think there is truth to that, but I also think people don't do the research on other candidates. Let's be honest, people vote for Donna Edwards because she is well known, but really when you look at the elections and the credentials of the people who have been running against her, why are the elections so lopsided? Is she really that good of a candidate or is this a matter of her being the most well known?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
And you are aware that if they pulled something Controversial on Michael Steele the Black voters in PG County would Rip Steele to shreds because of his Republican affiliation.......

It is soo strange how most Black Democrats resort to derogatory stereotypical Racist name calling(Uncle Tom, House Negro, Puppet, Coon, etc.) of any Black lawmakers that associates with Republicans as if Democrats are nothing more than perfect saints.....

Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 PM

575 posts, read 551,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And you are aware that if they pulled something Controversial on Michael Steele the Black voters in PG County would Rip Steele to shreds because of his Republican affiliation.......

It is soo strange how most Black Democrats resort to derogatory stereotypical Racist name calling(Uncle Tom, House Negro, Puppet, Coon, etc.) of any Black lawmakers that associates with Republicans as if Democrats are nothing more than perfect saints.....
To be fair, the GOP hasn't done enough to attract black people to the party. All I here is how we are "slaves to the Democratic Plantation..." yet Republicans have done nothing to change that except showcase their special "token(s)" at the convention or make him/her the leader of the party whenever it's convenient to quell rumors of racism from Liberals on the far-left or prove to America that they're diverse.

I personally think the party's message on economics would work well with middle and upper middle class blacks in PG County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland