Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
As a person considering a move to PG; schools are of significant concern to me since there is known to be a link between School Performance and Resale value.
I don't know enough about PG Schools to comment on why PG schools are the way they are.

That said, it isn't clear that there should be a major impact on resale value. Certainly good schools raise the value of properties, and that is one of the reasons houses in much of NoVa cost more than equivalent houses in PG County. But I think that houses in PG County are already "discounted" because of the schools. You buy a house for less because the schools aren't well regarded and you sell for less later if the schools still aren't well-regarded. I think you can make a case that houses in PG County may actually be discounted more than the schools would indicate. If you can buy a house in PG for $500,000 that would cost you 800,000 in NoVa, that $300,000 (and the mortgage interest on the $300,000) will buy you a lot of private school education.

My own feeling is that if PG County raised its schools to a level at which their performance was perceived as being on par with Montgomery County or NoVa, property values would skyrocket ( and tax revenues would skyrocket with them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Well the schools are improving based on the latest test results. So PG is going in hte right direction.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
I don't know enough about PG Schools to comment on why PG schools are the way they are.

That said, it isn't clear that there should be a major impact on resale value. Certainly good schools raise the value of properties, and that is one of the reasons houses in much of NoVa cost more than equivalent houses in PG County. But I think that houses in PG County are already "discounted" because of the schools. You buy a house for less because the schools aren't well regarded and you sell for less later if the schools still aren't well-regarded. I think you can make a case that houses in PG County may actually be discounted more than the schools would indicate. If you can buy a house in PG for $500,000 that would cost you 800,000 in NoVa, that $300,000 (and the mortgage interest on the $300,000) will buy you a lot of private school education.

My own feeling is that if PG County raised its schools to a level at which their performance was perceived as being on par with Montgomery County or NoVa, property values would skyrocket ( and tax revenues would skyrocket with them).

I disagree that schools are a major factor. Statistics show that more childless individuals and couples are moving into the region. So, school is less of a concern than it was 25 years ago. Prices are low in PG because of the lack of jobs and services. If I could work, live, and play in PG, then why wouldn't I live in PG? Why wouldn't homes become a premium if we had at least 25% of the jobs int he region? People want to live close to where they work. That's #1. PG has been labeled a "bedroom" community because that's all we have are residences. As more jobs come to the county, you'll see home prices rise as people who work here will choose to live here. Trust me, money trumps education every time. If a family can save hundreds of dollars a month in gas and commuting, then they can tolerate a little more concerning education. Bring the jobs, bring the services, prices will rise.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I disagree that schools are a major factor. Statistics show that more childless individuals and couples are moving into the region. So, school is less of a concern than it was 25 years ago. Prices are low in PG because of the lack of jobs and services. If I could work, live, and play in PG, then why wouldn't I live in PG? Why wouldn't homes become a premium if we had at least 25% of the jobs int he region? People want to live close to where they work. That's #1. PG has been labeled a "bedroom" community because that's all we have are residences. As more jobs come to the county, you'll see home prices rise as people who work here will choose to live here. Trust me, money trumps education every time. If a family can save hundreds of dollars a month in gas and commuting, then they can tolerate a little more concerning education. Bring the jobs, bring the services, prices will rise.
That could be true. Maybe since I commute to DC, I'm assuming that most other people do, too. But it seems more common on this forum and the DC and NoVa forums to see people posting that they don't view PG as an option because of their perceptions about the schools and about crime than about distance from work or availability of jobs in the area.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I completely disagree. Calvert and Howard County trumps this theory. Both counties do not have the job market that even PG County has, but people still move there. On top of that, neither one of them is really that close to DC/B-more. So what is the lure? Could it be that they are ranked #1 and #2 in schools in the best state for education in the country?

I notice that you seem to devalue the importance of highly ranked schools, but make no mistake about it, as long as we as a human species exist, and procreate, there will always be a need for good schools. You may have your own theories and the way you may think about it, but most people in this country just don't think like you think. If that weren't true, then we wouldn't have sites like schooldigger.com, greatschools.com, public records of HSA and MSA testing among other quantitative factors that help parents determine if a school is good or not.

As RamblingMan said, if you go look on the NoVA forum, half of their discussion is about schools. It's all about what you value. If you value education more then it is going to be more and more of a factor to move somewhere.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:12 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
In Calvert's case you have to throw in White Flight from PG that really accellerated throughout the 90's. Also, Calvert historically has been where you get more house for the money and property taxes are lower. The same thing is happening in Charles now with Black Flight from PG. Schools do play a part.

In all the discussions about "Is PG a Good Place to Live" people focus on crime, housing costs, schools, etc. But some things are missed. Things like car insurance is 2/3 more expensive in Bowie than Crofton a few miles down the road in a different County. PG has a telecommunications tax on phone service, something other Counties don't. The PG piggyback income tax is higher than most other Counties. These are kind of hidden costs that add up and aren't considered until you see the bills.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 AM

281 posts, read 811,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In Calvert's case you have to throw in White Flight from PG that really accellerated throughout the 90's. Also, Calvert historically has been where you get more house for the money and property taxes are lower. The same thing is happening in Charles now with Black Flight from PG. Schools do play a part.

In all the discussions about "Is PG a Good Place to Live" people focus on crime, housing costs, schools, etc. But some things are missed. Things like car insurance is 2/3 more expensive in Bowie than Crofton a few miles down the road in a different County. PG has a telecommunications tax on phone service, something other Counties don't. The PG piggyback income tax is higher than most other Counties. These are kind of hidden costs that add up and aren't considered until you see the bills.
Just thought I'd add that, for me, the car insurance cost part is true. I am moving from CA and my insurance is going from $448 for 6 months to $821 for 6 months if I move to PG County in Greenbelt. That's quite a hike!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post
Just thought I'd add that, for me, the car insurance cost part is true. I am moving from CA and my insurance is going from $448 for 6 months to $821 for 6 months if I move to PG County in Greenbelt. That's quite a hike!
That's indicative of the entire D.C. area. There have been studies where the D.C. area ranks LAST as far as knowing how to drive. In addition, you have very aggressive drivers here. And traffic doesn't make matters any easier. Every morning there's an accident somewhere. I see moving violations EVERY DAY. People making left turns from the right lane. Or they get in a turning lane and go straight just to get to the front of the line. It's insane.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I completely disagree. Calvert and Howard County trumps this theory. Both counties do not have the job market that even PG County has, but people still move there. On top of that, neither one of them is really that close to DC/B-more. So what is the lure? Could it be that they are ranked #1 and #2 in schools in the best state for education in the country?
Howard and Calvert Counties don't have the population numbers PG has. So, you can't really compare the two. PG has way more people within it's borders than those two counties. Sure, people move there, but how many? I'm not aware of any housing shortages in those counties. In addition, those two counties are more expensive. A government worker who works in downtown D.C. is not going to move to Howard county just because of schools. If that was the case, PG county would be less populated that it is now. You have people in PG that can afford to live in Howard and Calvert counties. Where's the mass exodus? Why haven't people moved? Are people moving from Montgomery county to Howard? Howard County's schools are better than Montgomery County's. Something must be keeping people in their place. That tells me it's more than schools. My wife loves the suburb feel of Columbia. I can't stand it. It's too far from any city center. I like to be close to amenities, museums, and sports. Why would I move to Columbia where I need to drive everywhere? For me, I'd rather tolerate school districts if I can be close to D.C. When I bought my house, school wasn't on my mind. Of course I was 24. I don't regret living where I live either even though the schools in my neighborhood aren't top performers. If 84% of kids in PG schools graduate, that means my kid has an 84% chance of graduating. I can live with those odds.

Quote:
I notice that you seem to devalue the importance of highly ranked schools, but make no mistake about it, as long as we as a human species exist, and procreate, there will always be a need for good schools. You may have your own theories and the way you may think about it, but most people in this country just don't think like you think. If that weren't true, then we wouldn't have sites like schooldigger.com, greatschools.com, public records of HSA and MSA testing among other quantitative factors that help parents determine if a school is good or not.
I disagree. Of course any high performing school is good for students. All I'm saying is that test scores and low performing schools as a whole has much more to do with parents than with staff. Either the parents don't care enough to instill good learning habits in their children, or they don't care enough to demand high quality staff in their schools. It has been proven time and time again that if a child has an environment that places a high priority on education at home, they excel no matter if they live in Potomac or Temple Hills. Applaud high performing schools, but on the other hand, don't disregard potential in lower performing schools. Every school deserves fair consideration and I don't think that happens. People glance at stars and scores without understand the dynamics within a particular school or community. And that does everyone a disservice. BETTER SCHOOLS IS NOT UP TO THE COUNTY. IT'S UP TO US AS PARENTS. We spend more time with our kids than teachers ever will. So, who do you think would have the greatest impact?

Quote:
As RamblingMan said, if you go look on the NoVA forum, half of their discussion is about schools. It's all about what you value. If you value education more then it is going to be more and more of a factor to move somewhere.
They talk about schools because that's what they choose to talk about. lol You can't compare the two. This forum is called city-data, not school-data. But if you want, I'm sure we can start a thread on schools every single day. Maybe it will get people more involved in their school.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 AM

83 posts, read 149,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
As a person considering a move to PG; schools are of significant concern to me since there is known to be a link between School Performance and Resale value.

Anyways, I frequently hear on this forum that the schools in PG are bad and I want to know why they are considered bad. I did some research on my own and I hear that over 84% of it's students graduate, which is considered high. Here is the source for that: The Sentinel

So what makes it bad? Please be specific. And are there some areas that perform better than others?

Thank you so much.
Prince George's County Public School District (PGCPS) in Upper Marlboro, MD | GreatSchools

The information reflected on this website is derived from test scores. One of the problems in PG County is over crowding in the schools due to the dense population of the county. Another is that some teachers are simply not qualified to do the job. Sure they have their degree, but are teaching because you care about the youth or because you need a check? And then of course there are univolved parent, which is another issue all together. I'm not going to mince words...PG has gotten extremely ghetto over the years. When I was younger and my cousins lived in District Heights, we could be out at night, walk to Forestville Mall, whatever, and it wasn't an issue. Not now. The world has changed so much and it seems almost as though an education is not a priority.

As a parent who considered buying a house in PG County, you better believe that I focused my search on cities with well performing schools, namely Upper Marlboro and Bowie. And even then, you had to make sure you were on the right street to get into the better performing school. I checked out PGCPS website to get information on the school (maximum capacity vs. actual capacity), looked at the school plans, how test scores improved, etc. The whole county ISN'T bad, but as a whole, it's gone downhill. Honestly, I blame the No Child Left Behind Act, which forced teachers to stop teaching theories and concepts and start teaching students how to past tests. And if the kids don't get it in elementary school, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland