Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:53 AM

281 posts, read 811,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I just had my car insurance re-rated from Rochester, NY to PG and it doubled. The customer service agent said that the reason is because this area is busier. Yet California is the most populous state in the country and your rates nearly doubled. So PG and this area's rep for bad drivers are true.
And I am already rated for a pretty high theft area in San Diego since I'm smack dab in the middle of two major freeways and the theft rate is really high. I couldn't believe it! It's more than I paid in LA!

The only side benefit to this is that the rents (for the most part) are lower so in a COL comparison what I save on the rent (vs. MoCo or similar with further out/limited access to public transportation and such) isn't too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:01 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimplicity View Post
Do you have children? A perfect example of how the outside world influences your children is the little kid who starts daycare at 2 or 3 and comes home telling her mom "I'm not your friend". Did she learn that from her mother? Of course not! She picked it up at school.
And it's up to the parent to correct the child and help the child understand.

Quote:
Do you know what my daughter talks about all day? What she did in school with her teachers and friends. Sure I remember what my mom taught me, but I remember every single teacher elementary school. They were nurturing, but stern, and made sure I learned.
A teacher can only do so much. I'm not asking parents to be teachers, but an attitude of learning comes from the home. It starts at birth and continues on. All I'm saying is some parents wait too late to get active in their child's education or they don't do it at all. When I child comes home sharing about what happened at school, it's the parent's responsibility to correct those things that are incorrect (slang, curse words, fights with other students, skipping class, etc.) or reenforce those things that are positive.

Quote:
I am by no means discouting the role parents play, but don't you dare sit there and try to put all the burden on the parents.
If you read my comments you'll see that I made no such statement.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They came directly from the mouth of Jack Johnson at a meeting I (had to) attended.
I remember definitely that one year there were 18,000 vehicle thefts. That was before the campaign to caution morning commuters against warming up /defrosting their unattended vehicles in their driveways while they ate breakfast/ readied for work.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They came directly from the mouth of Jack Johnson at a meeting I (had to) attended.

Jack Johnson? lol Apparently he didn't know what he was talking about or he just plain lied. Here are the numbers from the county web site. The highest vehicle theft number reached over 16,000. Still a far cry from 25,000. Maybe he was talking about statewide? And judging from the trends, PG is doing MUCH better on vehicle crime. The total number of vehicle thefts was 5,597 last year.

Prince George's County, MD - Police Department : Crime Statistics

Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Yes, and the disruptions, poor administration, lackluster teaching, bullying and poor facilities were turn-offs. Why fight against all of that when you can have something better for your kids, just so you can be close to a city center, or get more house for your money? Oh, and the middle school has been in school improvement for about 6 years. The high school blows.
Yes. I agree that it is an uphill battle. The disruptions are from kids who's parents haven't taught them to respect authority. Maybe I'm unique, but when an adult gave me instructions, I followed. When I was in high school, I always marveled at the kids who would test the teacher's limits and even exceeded them. I never wanted to test those limits or I'd get it at home. A poor administration and lackluster teaching is something that you do have control over through your board rep and voting. But do we see parents knocking down these peoples' doors? As much money as we spend in taxes, we should have some of the best schools. I've seen people go off in Target because of poor service and yet we let poor standards continue in our schools without a fight. Parents have more power than they think. Why is the teacher evaluation process just now getting a makeover? Why not 10 years ago? If we want change we have to create it ourselves.

Quote:
I realized that some parents bus their children to private schools in AA County, Washington, DC, even Baltimore.
And while they bus their kids out of the county, I wonder how much they are involved in improving the schools around them so eventually their kids won't have to be bused? Or do they just not care? So, the schools around them continue to fail. Maybe we need our sense of community back. What's good for my child should be good for yours and we all should want to make that happen.

Quote:
Plus, although the value of my house dropped, the HOA increased the fees to keep the money coming in. What is wrong with this picture?
I feel for you there. I'm so glad I didn't buy an HOA property. I couldn't stomach paying thousands for something and not being able to do as I please. If I'm a land and property owner, that should be my right. That's the American Dream right? But I digress.

Quote:
I am an involved parent. But there are many teachers, staff and administrators in PGCPS who need to remember why they have their jobs.
And we as parents should remind them every week. I know some parents think the parent shouldn't have to do anything. I was taught that you get out what you put into something. Perhaps if we all come together as a group and demand change, things actually will. I've seen teachers picketing, but I haven't seen parents making a public show of dissatisfaction. If teachers are so adamant about their pay, why can't we be adamant about our child's education in the same way?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 PM

316 posts, read 559,748 times
It's hard to teach folks who don't want to learn. Usually its because most kids in the county aren't being pushed by their parents to do well in school so they don't try to do well and hang with the wrong crowd of students. Maybe some schools are dealing with incompetent teachers.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 PM

320 posts, read 538,840 times
Default PG Schools Are Improving But There Is More Ground to Make Up

[quote=[B]adelphi_sky [/b]If 84% of kids in PG schools graduate, that means my kid has an 84% chance of graduating. I can live with those odds.

While on the surface, an 84% graduation rate sounds like a pretty decent value, this one statistic does not indicate the quality of education that is actually being made available to these graduating students. I give you this as an example. My wife and I attended the same university back in the mid-to-late 90’s (I know…a very long time ago). Although she was a very successful student high school, she was still required forced to take and pass a few remedial “pre-college” courses before she was able to fully enroll. All of this despite having a 4.0 GPA coming out of Largo High! In contrast, I went to high school in CT and had nowhere near a 4.0 GPA upon graduation. Nevertheless, I had none of the issues my wife had dealt with regard to being accepted into the university.

About 2 years ago, we decided to move our family to PG County from Howard County. We chose to do this primarily because my wife and I wanted a single family home to raise our children in rather than settling for a townhouse. Single family homes in Columbia were way out of our price range, as were most of the decent townhomes. So, when we found a nice single family home in Clinton, we were ecstatic. I can say for the most part that we love our house, our neighbors, the neighborhood and everything that goes with it but for one exception…the schools.

My wife tried to warn me before we moved about what to expect from PG schools. Since I’m not originally from this area, I thought that she was exaggerating things a bit. Furthermore, since we were already very involved in our daughters’ education while living in Columbia, I didn’t think that it would be much different in PG. I have to say that in my experience there are huge differences in the way that the elementary schools in Columbia and the schools in Clinton function. I won’t get into too many specifics but I will say that my wife and I had a much more difficult time in dealing with the administration here as opposed to how it was in Columbia. It’s not that they were rude or unprofessional because that is certainly not the case. It’s more so due to the fact that in PG they are so rigidly focused on state testing that they aren’t really concerned with much else. Not to mention the fact that while in Columbia, even though there school was considered to be on the lower tier by Howard County standards, my daughters were able classes such as Technology and Art. However in PG, these classes were phased out for the most part, even though they attend an elementary school that is supposedly among the best in the area.

I will say that PG County is making a noticeable effort to improve upon its educational programs so I am optimistic. Still in my opinion, PG is going to have to start devoting more financial resources to its schools before any significant improvement can take place. Using Montgomery County as a reference (since they have a relatively equal number of students), MoCo’s budgetary expenditures on education is roughly $2.1 Billion compared to PG’s $1.6 Billion for 2011…MoCo SchoolsPG County Schools. This basically amounts to spending $2200 more per student per year. It may not sound like much but it is pretty significant especially when taking into account that PG increased its spending on education PG County Operating Budget, while MoCo slashed theirs by 4.4% from last year’s budget Montgomery County Operating Budget. In essence, PG is headed in the right direction in terms of its schools but there is plenty of work left to do. Just my opinion once again.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Don't be so quick to throw more money into PG schools. Yes Montgomery spends more but they also are a lot more competent at it.

PG's problems are legion: from 5 Superintendants in 12 years, each one getting rid of programs of his predecessor and only one of whom served out the full 4 year term, to featherbedding (PG has always been known as the system that promotes problems upward), to the loss of very capable people to other systems, to paying upper level people (including building Principals) who don't show up, to hiring School Board members once their terms are over, to changing curricula (with the attendant cost of new books) three times in 4 years. It goes on and on.

The CollegeBoard really likes PG, as well they should since they've taken several million dollars out of the County for AP tests and teacher training the last few years. Of course, tutoring for the actual students needing help in AP classes and on the tests was defunded after 2 years. And now building Principals are screaming at the teachers because scores are generally stagnant. Of course those Principals are getting yelled at by their supervisors.

There are vendors that refuse to do business with PG schools. The reason? The system owes some of them hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is for the things you need to run a school like toilet paper and soap.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,536 times
[quote=EHCT;19917766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
adelphi_sky [/b]If 84% of kids in PG schools graduate, that means my kid has an 84% chance of graduating. I can live with those odds.

While on the surface, an 84% graduation rate sounds like a pretty decent value, this one statistic does not indicate the quality of education that is actually being made available to these graduating students. I give you this as an example. My wife and I attended the same university back in the mid-to-late 90’s (I know…a very long time ago). Although she was a very successful student high school, she was still required forced to take and pass a few remedial “pre-college” courses before she was able to fully enroll. All of this despite having a 4.0 GPA coming out of Largo High! In contrast, I went to high school in CT and had nowhere near a 4.0 GPA upon graduation. Nevertheless, I had none of the issues my wife had dealt with regard to being accepted into the university.

About 2 years ago, we decided to move our family to PG County from Howard County. We chose to do this primarily because my wife and I wanted a single family home to raise our children in rather than settling for a townhouse. Single family homes in Columbia were way out of our price range, as were most of the decent townhomes. So, when we found a nice single family home in Clinton, we were ecstatic. I can say for the most part that we love our house, our neighbors, the neighborhood and everything that goes with it but for one exception…the schools.

My wife tried to warn me before we moved about what to expect from PG schools. Since I’m not originally from this area, I thought that she was exaggerating things a bit. Furthermore, since we were already very involved in our daughters’ education while living in Columbia, I didn’t think that it would be much different in PG. I have to say that in my experience there are huge differences in the way that the elementary schools in Columbia and the schools in Clinton function. I won’t get into too many specifics but I will say that my wife and I had a much more difficult time in dealing with the administration here as opposed to how it was in Columbia. It’s not that they were rude or unprofessional because that is certainly not the case. It’s more so due to the fact that in PG they are so rigidly focused on state testing that they aren’t really concerned with much else. Not to mention the fact that while in Columbia, even though there school was considered to be on the lower tier by Howard County standards, my daughters were able classes such as Technology and Art. However in PG, these classes were phased out for the most part, even though they attend an elementary school that is supposedly among the best in the area.

I will say that PG County is making a noticeable effort to improve upon its educational programs so I am optimistic. Still in my opinion, PG is going to have to start devoting more financial resources to its schools before any significant improvement can take place. Using Montgomery County as a reference (since they have a relatively equal number of students), MoCo’s budgetary expenditures on education is roughly $2.1 Billion compared to PG’s $1.6 Billion for 2011…MoCo SchoolsPG County Schools. This basically amounts to spending $2200 more per student per year. It may not sound like much but it is pretty significant especially when taking into account that PG increased its spending on education PG County Operating Budget, while MoCo slashed theirs by 4.4% from last year’s budget Montgomery County Operating Budget. In essence, PG is headed in the right direction in terms of its schools but there is plenty of work left to do. Just my opinion once again.
Did you all go to Hampton?

Sounds like Hampton's Pre College/Summer Bridge program

Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 AM

320 posts, read 538,840 times
[quote=ATL_II_DMV;19962529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post

Did you all go to Hampton?

Sounds like Hampton's Pre College/Summer Bridge program
LOL...yes we did go to Hampton. That obvious huh?

(P.S. Thanks for not crushing my first post. I didn't get a chance to proofread it before I sent it in. I was pretty embarrassed to see that there were so many errors.)

Last edited by EHCT; 07-11-2011 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: proofreading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland