Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:25 PM

41 posts, read 95,869 times

Advertisements

I am a single 40+ woman considering moving to MD. I'm a consultant who works from home so commuting is not a problem. I'm originally from NYC so I'm looking for a walkable, diverse, neighborhood. If the neighborhood also had the trees, peace and tranquility of some parts of Charlotte, NC that would be great as well. The neighborhood would be a mixture of age groups and socio economic backgrounds. My children are in college so k-12 education is not a factor. I need to be able to walk my dog, go to the Farmers Market on the weekends and have many choices of stuff to get into (music, restaurants, poetry, etc) when I have free time. Where does a single girl fit in MD and how much would a 2 bedroom apartment cost? I'll also be bringing my dog and parakeets along on this journey so I need dog friendly neighborhoods. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMOMINNC View Post
I am a single 40+ woman considering moving to MD. I'm a consultant who works from home so commuting is not a problem. I'm originally from NYC so I'm looking for a walkable, diverse, neighborhood. If the neighborhood also had the trees, peace and tranquility of some parts of Charlotte, NC that would be great as well. The neighborhood would be a mixture of age groups and socio economic backgrounds. My children are in college so k-12 education is not a factor. I need to be able to walk my dog, go to the Farmers Market on the weekends and have many choices of stuff to get into (music, restaurants, poetry, etc) when I have free time. Where does a single girl fit in MD and how much would a 2 bedroom apartment cost? I'll also be bringing my dog and parakeets along on this journey so I need dog friendly neighborhoods. Thanks in advance for your responses.
You described Arts District Hyattsville to a T! They have parks, trees, shops, restaurants, poetry (Busboys & Poets opening in August), an organic grocery store, a natural pet store opening, etc. Check it out.

Arts District Hyattsville

Flyer

Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM

281 posts, read 811,535 times
Also you can look at Greenbelt which is close to Hyatsville. It has an Old Historic Section...very cute and very much like you said. There is an older part and a newer part. I vote the older as the crime stats are better on that side of the freeway!

Greenbelt CityLink

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,181 times
Yep - second the recs. for EYA in Hyattsville or anywhere in the "historic district" of the "City of Hyattsville." (Lots of areas call themselves Hyattsville even though it's not really in the City of Hyattsville.

Greenbelt (the City of Greenbelt - same situation at Hyattsville described above) would also be a good fit. They have a very active parks & rec. department, a farmer's market, dog park.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 PM

202 posts, read 347,305 times
Quote:
What part of charlotte do you live in? Hyattsville would be like east Charlotte I would describe it as independence avenue only worse. If that's the kind of diversity you're looking for than hyattsville fits. I lived in dc and worked a little in hyattsville too. I now live in Charlotte and would not go back even if I could double my salary. I would be more than happy to give you my two cents about the dc area. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
What part of charlotte do you live in? Hyattsville would be like east Charlotte I would describe it as independence avenue only worse. If that's the kind of diversity you're looking for than hyattsville fits. I lived in dc and worked a little in hyattsville too. I now live in Charlotte and would not go back even if I could double my salary. I would be more than happy to give you my two cents about the dc area. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want.

I certainly wouldn't mind hearing your two cents.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 PM

41 posts, read 95,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
I lived in University City near the YMCA, I also lived in Concord (two complete ends of the spectrum). Independence reminds me of Beatties Ford. If Hyattsville is similiar it may not be a good fit for me. I am orginally from NYC (Bronx, Brooklyn, Westchester). I really love the cobblestone streets and vibe of Brooklyn (Park Slope, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill) but the $3950 price tax for a one bedroom is in my opinion fiscally irresponsible. I've tried living in the south but it's not for me. Before I head back to my beloved NYC (of which I have a love/hate relationship), I'm exploring the possibilities of DC and VA. What other areas of DC do you suggest?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I lived in University City near the YMCA, I also lived in Concord (two complete ends of the spectrum). Independence reminds me of Beatties Ford. If Hyattsville is similiar it may not be a good fit for me. I am orginally from NYC (Bronx, Brooklyn, Westchester). I really love the cobblestone streets and vibe of Brooklyn (Park Slope, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill) but the $3950 price tax for a one bedroom is in my opinion fiscally irresponsible. I've tried living in the south but it's not for me. Before I head back to my beloved NYC (of which I have a love/hate relationship), I'm exploring the possibilities of DC and VA. What other areas of DC do you suggest?

Before you make a decision based on these forums, it may be a good idea to visit the area to actually experience it. Unfortunately, I've never been to those areas in NC to get an idea of what oldway is comparing Hyattsville to. You won't get a Brooklyn feel here because the D.C. area has it's own appeal. But judging from what you are looking for in your original post, Hyattsville fits the bill. There's nothing like visiting for yourself. Talk to JosaphineBeth. She's moving from San Diego to Greenbelt after actually visiting. But if she listened to some of the comments on this board and made a choice without bothering to visit, she may have passed up on Greenbelt. I'm still interested in why oldway thinks Hyattsville isn't a good fit.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 12,499 times
Look into Del Ray which is in Northern VA. Its very pet friendly. Lots of dogs and dog parks. 10 minutes from the Smithsonian and all the monuments. Close to Old Town Alexandria and Arlington which are both great places to live, eat, shop,etc....Del Ray has a metroline so you can metro into all parts of the city. Its great for single people of all ages. People are very friendly and tolerant. In a nutshell you will never get bored yet won't feel cramped like you can in NYC. I'll take some pictures of it and post them next week if youre interested.

Here is the Del Ray website:

Del Ray Citizens Association, Inc. A residential community in Alexandria, Virginia

As for cost of living it can vary greatly depending on how nice or modest you want to live.

If you have to be in MD then check out Bethesda. Its much nicer then Hyattesville albeit more expensive.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 12,499 times
Here are some pictures that I found of Del Ray:

St Elmos Coffee and Bakery
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/rsrd/3078419069_549e282d55.jpg (broken link)

Local Resturant:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/rsrd/3078419037_776b46d4e1.jpg (broken link)

Farmers market:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/rsrd/veras-bakery.jpg (broken link)

What typical houses look like in Del Ray (mission style):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/rsrd/p5230017.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland