U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 AM

117 posts, read 222,862 times

Advertisements

I am 27 years old and have lived in Montgomery County Silver Spring, MD all my life. I went to MCPS, then to Montgomery College, and eventually UMUC at Shady Grove graduating with a bachelor of business. I have worked since I was 16 years old and all my jobs have been in Montgomery County. I currently work in Rockville and live in the Colesville area of northern Silver Spring. My wife works in Alexandra and has been treading the long commute from Silver Spring to Alexandria which is about 1 hour or more each way.

We are planning on moving to PG County so it would be a bit closer to middle for the both of us from Rockville and Alexandria. I looked into Bowie, but it’s a bit too far for me. We have settled on moving to the Greenbelt area, but are still uneasy about PG County. My wife and I both grew up in Montgomery County and heard many negative things about PG County.

We plan on having children in the future and are not sure if this move is a good decision since our children might end up going to PG county schools. Growing up in MC schools, I heard many bad stories from other kids who moved from PG to MC. I’m not sure if things have changed since 10 years ago. One of the main reasons we are moving to Greenbelt is for the price we can purchase a small townhome in Silver Spring; we can get a nice single family house with garage and big yard in Greenbelt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM

10,136 posts, read 13,273,294 times
There are indeed issues with PG County Schools, but Montgomery County Schools are declining as well. Both are dealing with huge differences in the socioeconomics within their communities and it is affecting school performances. Honestly I think given your situation, I think University Park would be a better choice, at least as far as elementary schools are concerned. Their elementary schools are much better than Greenbelt's, but unfortunately after that your kids would be fed into Hyattsville schools, which can be a crapshoot.

Let me ask you, how close do both of you work to the Metro? That might help a little. Also would you all be open to sending your kids to private school?

Last edited by justtitans; 07-20-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 AM

17 posts, read 31,723 times
I don't think moving from Colesville area of SS to Univ. Park is going to shave much time off your wife's commute. Isn't only about a 10 minute drive from where you are right now? You also need to consider your commute to Rockville. I-495 backs up going in that direction very early prior to New Hampshire Ave. Just something to consider...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 AM

10,136 posts, read 13,273,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb's Mom View Post
I don't think moving from Colesville area of SS to Univ. Park is going to shave much time off your wife's commute. Isn't only about a 10 minute drive from where you are right now? You also need to consider your commute to Rockville. I-495 backs up going in that direction very early prior to New Hampshire Ave. Just something to consider...
His wife can get on Kenilworth Avenue and ride it all the way to the Wilson Bridge. Traffic can get really bad in Silver Spring especially in the Colesville area, just getting out of that area would add more time and less stress to her commute. I'm sure that is at least 20 minutes off her commute and a lot less traffic. On google maps with no traffic a trip from CityPlace to University Park Elementary is 17 minutes and about 10 miles. Greenbelt is about the same distance away from CityPlace so it wouldn't really be much difference from Greenbelt commuting wise.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,251,465 times
Isn't Beltsville and/or Laurel near the ICC? I don't think that part of the ICC is open yet, but it could shave off some time for a PG to MoCo commute once it's done. In the meantime, Beltsville and Laurel are close to 95. The commute to Rockville in the morning can be hellish, however. The local route (193 to Viers Mill) isn't much better.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM

15,004 posts, read 23,904,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Isn't Beltsville and/or Laurel near the ICC? I don't think that part of the ICC is open yet, but it could shave off some time for a PG to MoCo commute once it's done. In the meantime, Beltsville and Laurel are close to 95. The commute to Rockville in the morning can be hellish, however. The local route (193 to Viers Mill) isn't much better.
Yes. The ICC meets I-95 in Beltsville.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 AM

15,004 posts, read 23,904,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
I am 27 years old and have lived in Montgomery County Silver Spring, MD all my life. I went to MCPS, then to Montgomery College, and eventually UMUC at Shady Grove graduating with a bachelor of business. I have worked since I was 16 years old and all my jobs have been in Montgomery County. I currently work in Rockville and live in the Colesville area of northern Silver Spring. My wife works in Alexandra and has been treading the long commute from Silver Spring to Alexandria which is about 1 hour or more each way.

We are planning on moving to PG County so it would be a bit closer to middle for the both of us from Rockville and Alexandria. I looked into Bowie, but it’s a bit too far for me. We have settled on moving to the Greenbelt area, but are still uneasy about PG County. My wife and I both grew up in Montgomery County and heard many negative things about PG County.

We plan on having children in the future and are not sure if this move is a good decision since our children might end up going to PG county schools. Growing up in MC schools, I heard many bad stories from other kids who moved from PG to MC. I’m not sure if things have changed since 10 years ago. One of the main reasons we are moving to Greenbelt is for the price we can purchase a small townhome in Silver Spring; we can get a nice single family house with garage and big yard in Greenbelt.
I would not make that move. Think of the children. That said, elementary schools in PG do not generally have the problems you hear about. It's when they get to Middle school age where the problems start. If the job in Alexandria is near Metro I'd look for a place on the Red Line and stay in MoCo. That's just me though. We left PG when our oldest was to go to middle school. We just could not do it.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 9,991 times
I'm a realtor in the area and I know that a commute from Beltsville to Rockville is no fun either. If you are curious about the schools in PG, the site below is the best I've found for comparing. You need to create an account but you won't be spammed. The reports are really comprehensive.

School Report FREE - eSchoolprofile.com

Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM

18,633 posts, read 18,633,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I would not make that move. Think of the children. That said, elementary schools in PG do not generally have the problems you hear about. It's when they get to Middle school age where the problems start. If the job in Alexandria is near Metro I'd look for a place on the Red Line and stay in MoCo. That's just me though. We left PG when our oldest was to go to middle school. We just could not do it.
I have to agree. Based on the OP's criteria it just doesn't make sense since the motivation to move is to be closer to his wife's work. How much time will she save 15-20 minutes? What do you get in exchange a home in a county with marginal services, lackluster schools, and stagnating home values. If they make the move they could easily be stuck in their house when they decide to sell.

Nope not worth it in my opinion. Although Greenbelt is not that bad.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 AM

304 posts, read 680,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post

Sigh, based on the responses here, it's clear most of the people responding have no REAL personal experience with life in PG County (i.e. actually living there) so this is a classic case of 'the blind leading the blind'. As a lifelong PGC resident (with a brief taste of heaven on the other side of the tracks in Mo County), allow me to actually give you some advice that has some credibility.

Where exactly are considering moving to in Greenbelt? Greenbelt is pretty large. You could literally live in one part of Greenbelt where the schools are nothing to write home about or you could live in another part where the schools are actually extremely good and better than A LOT of schools in Montgomery. If you live between Greenbelt Rd/Kenilworth Ave & Greenbelt Rd/Hanover Parkway... your kids will attend some of the finest schools in the county. Greenbelt Elementary School serves that area and Greenbelt ES is a 'National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence'. The feeder middle school is Greenbelt Middle School. Greenbelt MS is pretty good and the county approved plans several months ago to construct a brand new Greenbelt Middle. The new school will be the third LEED certified school in PG... in lamens terms it will be a 'green school' or environmentally friendly school. The shining star will be Eleanor Roosevelt High School, one of the best schools in the state. The school is known for its Science & Technology Center which is sort of like a magnet program. Even if your child isn't in the Science & Tech program, they will still greatly benefit from the program and some of the S/T courses are open to the general population. Roosevelt has been named a 'National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence' TWICE which only (perhaps) two or three other high schools in the state, have ever done. Roosevelt has also been awarded several other prestigious national awards including the 'Siemen's Award for Advanced Placement', being named a 'National School of Character', and also being named a 'New American High School'. They have also been named a 'Maryland State Blue Ribbon School', twice.

On the flip side, if you live in any other other areas going NE/N of Roosevelt, your children might attend some solid elementary schools (and perhaps middle schools) but the high school is where the problem could lie. DuVal High School isn't exactly the best school. They received a nice 600-student addition, recently, but academically they aren't much to talk about. I'm not sure about behavioral statistics.

Somebody posted something in regards to living in University Park and then went on to say that they would eventually have to attend middle school and high school in Hyattsville which will be a huge problem. Firstly, University Park is considered 'Hyattsville'. University Park Elementary School's address is listed as Hyattsville. Secondly, your child would attend Hyattsville Middle School. That schools reputation has shot up tremendously over the years, especially after the addition of the 'Creative & Performing Arts magnet program'. Hyattsville has arguably the best middle school choir in PG and probably in Maryland. Their entire arts magnet is award-winning. I would not hesistate to send my child to Hyattsville Middle, regardless of whether or not they were in the magnet program. BUT, the other Hyattsville intermediate school (Nicholas Orem) should be avoided at ALL costs. I would not send my child there for the world. Northwestern High School is iffy. If you can get your child into the Honors Program and Advanced Placement, Northwestern is a really good school. Their arts program can be argued as not only one of the best in the county (if not the best alongside Suitland) but one of the best in the state and country. Northwestern also has a new building which is the 2nd largest school in Maryland. It's really nice.

City Place is a straight shoot into Greenbelt or University Park/Hyattsville, once you hit University Blvd. I can get to City Place from University Park in about 15 minutes, so your information is accurate. Greenbelt, on the other hand, is more than 20 minutes. Unversity Blvd turns into Greenbelt Road. You DO NOT want to deal with that road once rush hour hits. University Blvd is hell on earth from Colesville Road (around Montgomery Blair High School) until you reach Langley Park and well after you cross into Prince George's. Once you get around Riggs Road, the traffic somewhat lightens up, but as soon as you reach the University of Maryland... you're done for. You might as well add another 15-20 minutes just from the segment spanning the University of Maryland into Greenbelt.

So, you might want to think long and hard about this and research some other areas. Personally, I'd stick to Montgomery County. But, if you really think you want to make this move, you should try driving out to Greenbelt DURING rush hour... around 6-8pm. You will see for yourself. I have done University Park/Hyattsville to Pentagon City in about 25 minutes in fair traffic. I-395 gets terrible during rush hour and especially when you start to cross the 14th Street Bridge into Virginia. Again, you might want to travel the route, yourself, to gain first hand experience. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland