Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:46 AM

10 posts, read 21,157 times

Advertisements

hi i'm trying to find a small or smallish town with less than a half-hour commute to dc. i was looking under 'very small cities' but was finding that they mostly had 'average' population densities. and really, that's what matters more to us. we'll more than likely be renting while we're here.

so, we'd like somewhere with fewer than 10,000 people. ideally we'd like considerably smaller, but more important is a 'low' or 'very low' population density. i realize this might be hard to accomplish, being that it is the suburbs, but if anybody would know, it seems to be you guys and bonus points for a good kindergarten thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsternis View Post
hi i'm trying to find a small or smallish town with less than a half-hour commute to dc
I would say it's impossible to find any low-density area within a half-hour commute to DC, unless you have an airplane to commute in. Seriously, there is a commuity on the Eastern Shore with a landing strip for private pilots.

Good luck, but you need to adjust your expectations.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
You said low pop density. That's not going to happen within a half hour of DC.
You CAN find towns and pockets with small town or suburban FEEL.

Now mind you I don't know these areas well -- BUT parts of Hyattsville may give you that tree-lined oasis feel. I don't know anything about Greenbelt (except where it is) -- a lot of people have goo things to say about it. A co-worker of mine lives in Cheverly and loves it. (It's surrounded by industrial and not so great areas, but Cheverly itself has its fans). There's a part of College Park I've heard good things about, the area where lots of the professors live.

Also WHEN you you commuting. THAT makes all the difference in the world in this area.
A morning rush hour commute that's an hour to an hour and a half can be 35 minutes in the afternoon.

If you're willing to stretch your commute time you'll have more options.

Good Luck.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 PM

388 posts, read 849,150 times
Quote:
hi i'm trying to find a small or smallish town with less than a half-hour commute to dc. i was looking under 'very small cities' but was finding that they mostly had 'average' population densities. and really, that's what matters more to us. we'll more than likely be renting while we're here.

so, we'd like somewhere with fewer than 10,000 people. ideally we'd like considerably smaller, but more important is a 'low' or 'very low' population density. i realize this might be hard to accomplish, being that it is the suburbs, but if anybody would know, it seems to be you guys and bonus points for a good kindergarten thanks!

Not to be mean, but this really made me laugh. I'm guessing you've never visited DC or any major city for that matter. You would have to be somewhere inside the beltway to get a half hour commute to DC.

On the helpful side, your best bet for lower populated areas near DC, I would start looking at Southern MD, towards the Clinton/Friendly areas, or northern VA, towards the Great Falls area.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
jifie -- you made me laugh today. thanks.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:03 PM

I would suggest some outer suburbs like Clarksburg, Adamstown, Clarksville, and maybe Poolesville, which have some open space and farmland left. Then your husband's commutute will be over an hour-and-a-half. Another option is close-in older suburbs like Takoma Park and Hyattsville which still have features of small towns like farmer's markets. His commute could be closer to 30 minutes from there.
Another option is the true suburbia like Germantown or Laurel in areas with young families, and then his commute may be a bit over an hour. I think you should clarify your priorities before you visit.

Good Luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 PM

thanks for the responses, guys are there good public transit options in these areas or further out? [specifically trains.] i don't mind a little longer of a commute if i'm not actually driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Not to be mean, but this really made me laugh. I'm guessing you've never visited DC or any major city for that matter. You would have to be somewhere inside the beltway to get a half hour commute to DC.
i lived in dale city and 20 minutes outside of philly growing up, and honeymooned in dc, actually. there are several--i'll even venture 'many'--small towns within a 10- or 15-minute drive, distance-wise. there's no way for me to know how much traffic affects that drive, however, without living there already or asking someone who does. so i did.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I would suggest some outer suburbs like Clarksburg, Adamstown, Clarksville, and maybe Poolesville, which have some open space and farmland left. Then your husband's commutute will be over an hour-and-a-half. Another option is close-in older suburbs like Takoma Park and Hyattsville which still have features of small towns like farmer's markets. His commute could be closer to 30 minutes from there.
Another option is the true suburbia like Germantown or Laurel in areas with young families, and then his commute may be a bit over an hour. I think you should clarify your priorities before you visit.

Good Luck!
it'll actually be my commute thank you for the suggestions!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions about trains. Maryland has serveral MARC train routes, and one goes out as far as West Virginia. You arrive in Union Station where you could pick up a bus to Gallaudet.
The MARC train routes are here: http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defaul...L%203-4-11.pdf

DC bus routes are on the Metro system, web site here:http://www.wmata.com/pdfs/bus/DC.pdf

I have known people who live in West Virginia and commute to Silver Spring or DC. There is also train service from Fredericksburg, VA, and commuter bus routes Southern MD, but I am less familiar with them.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:31 PM

388 posts, read 849,150 times
Quote:

i lived in dale city and 20 minutes outside of philly growing up, and honeymooned in dc, actually. there are several--i'll even venture 'many'--small towns within a 10- or 15-minute drive, distance-wise. there's no way for me to know how much traffic affects that drive, however, without living there already or asking someone who does. so i did.
I'm sure you're talking about Philly, and not DC with this comment...maybe during your honeymoon there was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland