Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,231 times

Advertisements

1. First off, people are joking around and all, but I tell you the few seconds while it happened and after the building shook it was not funny, I was terror-stricken for a few seconds I'll admit.

2. My japanese coworker stood out in how calm he was. Said this happens there all the time, it's not even a drill, nobody budges. He wondered why we were sent home early if the building was safe enough for us to go and collect our stuff (though admittedly whose going to concentrate after that?)

3. I hear people took 2-3 hours to get home? I stayed in town and waited until 6 pm to drive out, I knew that would happen. Just like during that wet blizzard I knew to leave EARLIER than others. If everyone is on the road at the same time..... Anyway I stayed and took a run by the memorial, basin and monument. Beautiful. Can't beleive I hadn't done it before.

4. On a day like this I don't know what would be worse, Metro or driving in. Today I just happened to drive in which is rare--speaking of which, the roundabouts and one way streets in DC are especially treacherous on a day like this, but they suck all the time anyway. Too each their own, I can't imagine driving to work every day, Metro it is for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:42 PM

146 posts, read 374,786 times
Judging from todays Anarchy, YESSS.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
I'm not gonna lie to you, I was on the seventh floor and affter the second shake I bolted along with everyone on my floor it took about a minute to get down to the first floor but it seemed like forever.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
2. My japanese coworker stood out in how calm he was. Said this happens there all the time,
So true. I'm in Japan.

When that 9.0 hit in March, we had DAILY aftershocks that were 5.0 and above for a month. Actually you could feel tremours every few hours. The earth didn't seem to actually settle for a month. Actually still getting them, there was something around a 6.0 just two days ago.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
Sure seems that way now that I have talked to a few of my neighbors that had the longest commutes today. I guess we have to understand that most people in DC haven't been in Earthquakes before. So, when you are in an unfamiliar situation and are in an area that has been targeted by terrorists, you are a bit on edge. When you don't know what to do, you think irrationally and end up making a situation much worse. Perhaps it is time for the entire country to have Earthquake drills. I have lived in California and dealt with them and although I was on edge initially, it just became a second nature type of thing to know what to do. Same with living on the coast of Florida during hurricanes. I was not the most rational person the first time we had an evacuation but the second time and thereafter, I had a plan and knew what to do. So, it wasn't a big deal.

The only way to prepare for weird things like this is to have drills, etc. because DC and the surrounding area doesn't need a repeat of the hysteria next time around.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
1. First off, people are joking around and all, but I tell you the few seconds while it happened and after the building shook it was not funny, I was terror-stricken for a few seconds I'll admit.

2. My japanese coworker stood out in how calm he was. Said this happens there all the time, it's not even a drill, nobody budges. He wondered why we were sent home early if the building was safe enough for us to go and collect our stuff (though admittedly whose going to concentrate after that?)

3. I hear people took 2-3 hours to get home? I stayed in town and waited until 6 pm to drive out, I knew that would happen. Just like during that wet blizzard I knew to leave EARLIER than others. If everyone is on the road at the same time..... Anyway I stayed and took a run by the memorial, basin and monument. Beautiful. Can't beleive I hadn't done it before.

4. On a day like this I don't know what would be worse, Metro or driving in. Today I just happened to drive in which is rare--speaking of which, the roundabouts and one way streets in DC are especially treacherous on a day like this, but they suck all the time anyway. Too each their own, I can't imagine driving to work every day, Metro it is for me.
I think it's a little bit unfair to say DC is a panic city. I know I've never been in a earthquake myself, and so it took me a couple of seconds to realize what was happening. With that said, I didn't even know the first thing to do. There have been examples of things like this happening over the past few years in this country, like when it snowed in Atlanta during the winter. They had a blizzard and didn't know how to handle that amount of snow especially considering they didn't have any equipment to handle it so the city was shut down. Should we laugh at them for not knowing? We are Monday Morning Quarterbacking this situation but really, who would have thought prior to yesterday that practicing Earthquake drills would have helped?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I think it's a little bit unfair to say DC is a panic city. I know I've never been in a earthquake myself, and so it took me a couple of seconds to realize what was happening. With that said, I didn't even know the first thing to do. There have been examples of things like this happening over the past few years in this country, like when it snowed in Atlanta during the winter. They had a blizzard and didn't know how to handle that amount of snow especially considering they didn't have any equipment to handle it so the city was shut down. Should we laugh at them for not knowing? We are Monday Morning Quarterbacking this situation but really, who would have thought prior to yesterday that practicing Earthquake drills would have helped?
I think it's fair. Every little weather event and the city comes to a standstill. I'm thinking of a couple years ago when the weather people were warning of a big snowfall. Not a single flake fell, but the Federal Govt., and schools all over shut down. The food stores had all their bottle water, toilet paper, candles, batteries etc... all sold out. I've seen this over and over again for 13 years. It''s getting to be ridiculous! Yesterday, and today, the Govt. shuts down, people were terrified, Metro ran at 15 mph, utter chaos, when the quake wasn't even that bad. I've never seen a place get this way so often. I think it's fair to call this panic city. I'm not laughing at you, or anyone, though. I don't think it's funny.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Some things you just pick up by the osmosis of living and/or watching the news. My car has never fallen into a river or a creek -- wires in my backyard have never fallen -- nor have I ever been lost hiking in the desert or mountains, but I've seen enough survival segments on 20/20 and other news special to know what to do.

There's certainly been enough news coverage of other earthquakes -- AND the sidebar stories on what to do -- that adults of a certain age or awareness should be aware of what to do. PANIC during yesterday's event was completely unwarranted.

Survival experts will tell you A CALM HEAD is perhaps the most vital asset in an emergency.

I didn't even watch the news yesterday -- avoided it actually -- because I didn't want to see news anchors and reporters hyping what happened with their "most complete, comprehensive team coverage all over the Washington DC region." Enough already. They run every story angle into the ground. I get enough of that with a snow forecast.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think it's fair. Every little weather event and the city comes to a standstill. I'm thinking of a couple years ago when the weather people were warning of a big snowfall. Not a single flake fell, but the Federal Govt., and schools all over shut down. The food stores had all their bottle water, toilet paper, candles, batteries etc... all sold out. I've seen this over and over again for 13 years. It''s getting to be ridiculous! Yesterday, and today, the Govt. shuts down, people were terrified, Metro ran at 15 mph, utter chaos, when the quake wasn't even that bad. I've never seen a place get this way so often. I think it's fair to call this panic city. I'm not laughing at you, or anyone, though. I don't think it's funny.
That's the media for you. They will get people to panic and do whatever. Remember when the 9/11 attacks happened and they had people getting bottled water and duct tape. Duct tape? Let's face facts, no matter what part of the country we're in, people are sheep. They will flock at just about anything you tell them. Common sense rarely kicks in.

As far as the metro is concerned, I don't think what they did was unreasonable, especially considering the criticism they have been under. The earthquake, as insignificant as it was, did cause some damage and since that is the case, it made a lot of sense for them to proceed with caution until they were able to assess all of the tracks. Once all of the tracks were checked then they should go back to full speed like they did. Can you imagine if they just simply assumed that no damage was done and they had another accident? Seems risky to me.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
As far as the metro is concerned, I don't think what they did was unreasonable, especially considering the criticism they have been under. The earthquake, as insignificant as it was, did cause some damage and since that is the case, it made a lot of sense for them to proceed with caution until they were able to assess all of the tracks. Once all of the tracks were checked then they should go back to full speed like they did. Can you imagine if they just simply assumed that no damage was done and they had another accident? Seems risky to me.
You're right about that. I was just looking for something to add to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland