Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 AM

150 posts, read 298,320 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering making an offer on a house in that Levittown area of Bowie, zip code 20715. We love the homes. The neighborhoods seem really nice--the homes are well-kept, the yards are well-kept, the cars are good (not luxury, but nicely maintained and fairly new). I also looked at a crime map on crimereports.com and the area seems genuinely quite safe. Why the low home prices? Are we missing something or did we just find a really great deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slclady View Post
My husband and I are considering making an offer on a house in that Levittown area of Bowie, zip code 20715. We love the homes. The neighborhoods seem really nice--the homes are well-kept, the yards are well-kept, the cars are good (not luxury, but nicely maintained and fairly new). I also looked at a crime map on crimereports.com and the area seems genuinely quite safe. Why the low home prices? Are we missing something or did we just find a really great deal?
It would depend on what you're comparing it to. PG County, as a whole, has lost a lot of property value. Those houses two years ago even in the midst of the down turn were going for $300k+ easily. I think those homes are suffering just like everywhere else in this county. The age of the homes and the upkeep of them could play a factor as well. They are some of the oldest homes in Bowie considering there has been an increase number of newer developments in places like Fairwood, it's not as attractive as some of the bigger homes with more amenities in the neighborhoods. It's a good neighborhood, great schools, quiet and well kept. No gimmicks just a county that is suffering everywhere, even Bowie.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM

36 posts, read 110,059 times
Anyone have anything else to add? I may look in Bowie for property as well for a commute to Bolling AFB.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Besides loss of property value, these are the only reasons I can think of:

1. The Levittown houses are smaller, a little over 1600 s.f., and up. Some are 1,800 to even 2,200 s.f. -- the larger ones probably have additions. I think the largest Levitt house is the Country Clubber (which looks cute from the outside; I've never been in one). I've been in the colonials with the front porch and a couple of ranchers. Most of what I've seen look very nice inside, with nice upgrades, smart storage a little clutter. But a family room may double as an office, the owners may forego having a formal dining room, the garage is converted into a TV room, etc.

2. The cheaper houses probably have the original materials and few upgrades.

3. The cheaper houses probably are located near the lower-ranked elementary schools, but that's not a given. Are the houses located on a busy street or close to something undesirable?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
It would depend on what you're comparing it to. PG County, as a whole, has lost a lot of property value. Those houses two years ago even in the midst of the down turn were going for $300k+ easily. I think those homes are suffering just like everywhere else in this county. The age of the homes and the upkeep of them could play a factor as well. They are some of the oldest homes in Bowie considering there has been an increase number of newer developments in places like Fairwood, it's not as attractive as some of the bigger homes with more amenities in the neighborhoods. It's a good neighborhood, great schools, quiet and well kept. No gimmicks just a county that is suffering everywhere, even Bowie.
I attended an event recently and the speaker ran through some median prices in the DC area. PG came in at the lowest at around 160K every other jurisdiction in this area except for Prince Williams was at least double. Prince William was around 250K. When she read the PG number there were audible gasps in the audience which was 99.9% Black professional.

Frankly I found the figure embarrassing and depressing. I spoke to one gentlemen who said last year he and his wife were considering a house in Bowie but they couldn't pull the trigger. The thought of paying high property taxes and still having to pay for private school was the deal breaker. They ended up in Howard County, according to him many of his neighbors are ex-PG residents.

In my opinion PG is entering a critical juncture. If something is not done about the schools, taxes and creative ways found to attract commercial revenue the county will collapse and large swaths will resemble DC of old. The middle class will flee.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I attended an event recently and the speaker ran through some median prices in the DC area. PG came in at the lowest at around 160K every other jurisdiction in this area except for Prince Williams was at least double. Prince William was around 250K. When she read the PG number there were audible gasps in the audience which was 99.9% Black professional.

Frankly I found the figure embarrassing and depressing. I spoke to one gentlemen who said last year he and his wife were considering a house in Bowie but they couldn't pull the trigger. The thought of paying high property taxes and still having to pay for private school was the deal breaker. They ended up in Howard County, according to him many of his neighbors are ex-PG residents.

In my opinion PG is entering a critical juncture. If something is not done about the schools, taxes and creative ways found to attract commercial revenue the county will collapse and large swaths will resemble DC of old. The middle class will flee.
No, Sir WTH are you talkin about. Do you live in Pg first and foremost? Because if anything it seems there's more white ppl moving in taking advantage of this down market. Why send your kids to private school and you live in Bowie? If you cant make it in Bowie you cant make it anywhere. Ppl like that run to Columbia all the time and wonder why Columbia feels so fake and sterile. My father lives out there and the neighbors dont even make eye contact with you. If you dont live in PG stop talking about something you dont have experience with

Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
No, Sir WTH are you talkin about. Do you live in Pg first and foremost? Because if anything it seems there's more white ppl moving in taking advantage of this down market. Why send your kids to private school and you live in Bowie? If you cant make it in Bowie you cant make it anywhere. Ppl like that run to Columbia all the time and wonder why Columbia feels so fake and sterile. My father lives out there and the neighbors dont even make eye contact with you. If you dont live in PG stop talking about something you dont have experience with
I live in Camp Springs. I'm just relaying the convo as was told to me. Some people don't want to settle and I guess he and his wife are one of those people. I'm sure folks in Bowie send their kids to public schools with no problem but for this couple I guess doing so was a problem.

Also living in PG or not does not prevent one from commenting on the subject. I don't live in Greece, never been but I can read and process information and thus keep abreast of the issues over there that have the potential to impact my life here. That's what being a well informed citizen is about. Live in your fantasy land if you must but the numbers don't lie. PG on a valuation basis is the sewer of this area.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Well given the number of private schools on annapolis road alone, I would say quite a few people live in bowie and send their kids to private school so it's not as unusual as you would think. And Fort Washington has quite a few people. Overall I agree with EdwardA, whether he lives in pg or not is relevant, it has been widely reported how bad the housing has become. And although I agree there are white people who are moving here to take advantage of the market, they are only moving to certain areas like Fort Washington, accokeek, Bowie or Laurel which have much more to offer than the rest of the county. As a whole the county isn't desirable only certain select parts are.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
I was gonna buy in Accokeek when I was house shopping in 09 but I was priced out of existing homes and the new ones went like hotcakes for some reason. Oh well. I live in Montgomery county now. I'm now implementing a five year plan to move into Potomac for my 4 month old. That or buying a couple of Maybachs. Decisions, Decisions.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,503 times
Well, I don't have no kids, don't care about schools. Crime theft, home invasions, auto-theft, assaults, sexual predators is what my concern is. How is that in Bowie? I am not looking for a house right now. Just a quiet, clean, condo to rent with a washer & dryer and someplace to park. And close to public trans and stores to buy groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland