Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 8,228 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved to the area and am looking to buy a house in Silver Spring (inside beltway most likely). My wife will be working at Fort Belvoir (just south of Alexandria). Does anyone know what the commute is like from SS to Fort Belvoir? What is the best route ie, 495, 395 etc. She has to be at work at 7am.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Crenshaw View Post
I am looking to buy a house in Silver Spring (inside beltway most likely). My wife will be working at Fort Belvoir
Thanks!
Are you really set on Silver Spring? The commute to Fort Belvoir is likely to be horrible however one goes. It is a long trip aroung the Beltway (495), and the alternative roads (like 395) are often in poor condition (with potholes). If I had to do it personally, I would go thru DC, down 16th or Georgia, then cross the river as if I were going to Reagan National Airport and continue on the parkway south of the airport. But I have more tolerance for urban traffic; some people prefer Beltway traffic.

Another way I used to go it through Rock Creek Park, getting in off 16th Street. Follow it across the 14th Street Bridge to the airport, etc. But they have been talking for years about closing Rock Creek park to commuter traffic. If they still allow it, it is very pleasant in the early AM, and you sometimes see deer.

Are the Fort Belvoir people providing any shuttle service from Metro stops or remote parking lots? I know with BRAC they were envisioning huge jam-ups getting in the gates of Ft. Belvoir. One way to alleviate this would be shuttle buses. if this is an option, Metro may be the best way.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-22-2011 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Hello, I just moved to the area and am looking to buy a house in Silver Spring (inside beltway most likely). My wife will be working at Fort Belvoir (just south of Alexandria). Does anyone know what the commute is like from SS to Fort Belvoir? What is the best route ie, 495, 395 etc. She has to be at work at 7am.

Thanks!
honestly this is one of the worst commute I've ever heard of. I agree with the previous poster's ideas but I think for your sanity you should move closer to fort belvoir.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 PM

19 posts, read 81,798 times
I live in SS and have to commute down to that area a couple of times a week. It's pretty awful, there is no way I would ever want to do it five days a week. Beltway west through bethesda and tysons is the fastest if there is no traffic, I would recommend this in the morning at the time your wife will be leaving, but if she is ever leaving after 7:30 or so it's generally better to go all the way around the other side of the beltway or take 295 through DC. Afternoons I usually take 395 north to Washington blvd, cross memorial bridge and take rock creek to blagden ave, then take 16th out to SS. The trick here is to hit rock creek soon after the lanes change over to the rush hour configuration at 3:30. It can be bad, especially the last part up 16th and through downtown SS with all the lights and buses and generally takes about an hour. It's still better than trying to go across the legion bridge and through bethesda on the beltway in the afternoon, that is just insanity.

You can take the metro to Springfield but it is a solid hour of train time alone, door to door will be even longer especially if there are buses and shuttles involved.

Unless you are set on SS for some other reason I would look elsewhere, if you want to be close to the city Arlington or Alexandria to Belvior are easy, quick reverse commutes.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM

70 posts, read 198,543 times
I would say, don't do it unless you have to. It's horrible whichever way.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,228 times
Thanks for the input! I think we are leaning away from Silver Spring and more toward Annapolis, which is where I will work. Even though my wife will have to commute from Annapolis to Fort Belvoir, which is a little longer distance than from Silver Spring, I still think her commute will be the same if not better. Plus this way my commute will be nothing so only one of us has to be stuck in the car.

Any thoughts on the commute from Annapolis to Fort Belvoir? Once you hit that side of the beltway, is it pretty managable? At least better than the MoCo portion?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 AM

19 posts, read 81,798 times
That side of the beltway is generally much better than the west side. Route 50 during the morning and afternoon rush hours can get pretty ugly, and friday afternoons in the summer aren't great on 50 into Annapolis either.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,646 times
Default Annapolis to Ft Belvoir Ride Share

Did you decide to move to Annapolis and does your wife still commute to Fort Belvoir? I am moving to Annapolis in August and will be working at Ft Belvoir and would like to find a ride share person.

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I think we are leaning away from Silver Spring and more toward Annapolis, which is where I will work. Even though my wife will have to commute from Annapolis to Fort Belvoir, which is a little longer distance than from Silver Spring, I still think her commute will be the same if not better. Plus this way my commute will be nothing so only one of us has to be stuck in the car.

Any thoughts on the commute from Annapolis to Fort Belvoir? Once you hit that side of the beltway, is it pretty managable? At least better than the MoCo portion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland