Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 04:05 PM

8 posts, read 12,098 times

Advertisements

Ok so my company is offering a position to me but i have to move to Germantown, MD. I currently live in Raleigh, NC and i make around 43K a yr. This position will pay around 50K a yr. Any thoughts on utility cost for a 3 bedroom town home? It will be me my wife and 2 kids under 4. Any help is appreciated. PLEASE.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 PM

52 posts, read 215,777 times
The MD/DC/VA area is a fairly expensive place to live, and according to the cost of living calculator at bankrate.com, you will need to be making 57k/year here to have the same standard of living in Raleigh earning 43k/year. So if you move to Germantown, you will, in effect, be taking a pay cut. As for the cost of renting a 3 bedroom townhome in Germantown, it looks like the going rate in craigslist is around $1600+/month.

Good Luck!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM

35 posts, read 65,890 times
Quote:
This position will pay around 50K a yr.
I'm from Maryland (Montgomery County) and really love the area, but it's hella' expensive! Generally, in the DC area, including Germantown, MD, folks are educated and highly value education which is why MD schools rank #1 in the country and Mont. Cty probably has the best schools in the state... (I digress)... Folks in Germantown tend to be very friendly, family-oriented and very diverse. Diverse, ethnically, racially and socio-economically. We have section 8 housing, regular apartments, higher end condos for $250k, townhomes for $300-400k and single families from $400-700k! There are a ton of things to do, just right in Germantown but most are family oriented. Germantown would be a total bore for anyone that's single. They'd have to drive to Bethesda or DC for "real night life".

Anyway, just be sure your salary can support you out here. We have neighbors that moved here from the Midwest and have financially regreted it. The are more "blue collar" and can barely afford to live out here.

All that said, we're moving to Durham/Raleigh this summer to escape the financial drain that is the DC area. Folks make very strong salaries but its totally eaten up by the high housing costs. And, you really need to live within 10-15 miles of your job b/c commutes out here are some of the worst in the nation. We live in Germantown and my hubby works in Reston. He has to leave at 6AM each day or his commute is 1.5 hrs. It's evenworse in the evening. I work in Frederick and my commute is 15 mins but there aren't many jobs in Frederick.

Anyway, Germantown is an awesome place. IN our 8 yrs here, we've met a lot of very good people and have many good friends.They have to come visit when we move to the RTP!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 693,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Help View Post
Ok so my company is offering a position to me but i have to move to Germantown, MD. I currently live in Raleigh, NC and i make around 43K a yr. This position will pay around 50K a yr. Any thoughts on utility cost for a 3 bedroom town home? It will be me my wife and 2 kids under 4. Any help is appreciated. PLEASE.

Thank You
what company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland